Cristobal made a mistake

Advertisement
Gotcha. Still a little curious how a Brit 1) becomes a baseball fan (enough to correctly reference the Mendoza line) and 2) watched west coast games in 2008.
Someone lent me Moneyball at Uni. I'm a night owl and I rarely went to lectures.

People need to get over it. Cristobal has worked wonders in the short time he’s been here. Without him we wouldn’t have Bissainthe, Kelly, Moss or Skinner. Not a chance in h*** Manny gets any of those guys or a talented RB out of Louisiana. We got a DC with a solid coaching background. Let’s win on the field this year and we will have a Top5 class in 2023.
Mario has done a good job in putting this class together late but in all fairness Frenk handcuffed Manny by leaving him in public limbo while recruiting Mario. It was totally impossible for him to recruit under those circumstances.

First of all let me say this i support Mario 100%. Also this '22 class was made the way it is by bum Manny Diaz. No doubt about it. But also 2 things can be true. And in my opinion Mario made a big mistake twiddling his thumb in hiring and announcing a DC.

Yes most kids came for the program and trust the HC. But Shemar situation was different and ill explain why. He got sensitive about who the DC was, and he said he would not sign with Miami if we didn't have a DC. Said it to Manny Navarro. Why did he have this mentality? Message boards, recruiting scouts and people on social media always mention he gonna grow into a DT and he even tweeted that he was a DE. Mario Cristobal had enough time from last signing day to hire Kevin Steele or whomever else. Steele was not in the NFL, matter of fact he was unemployed. If he was our DC when we visited Shemar or when he came on his OV and you have your future DC break down scheme and role for him that may have been enough to sway him.

Mario made a mistake here and this one stings. Top talented DL are very rare and when we miss them at home it hurts more.

In any case its onward and upward for '23 and im confident this wont happen again.
How long did Durbin have 1 on 1 with Stewart? He didn’t have years either. Make no mistake about it, A&M bought and paid for this historic signing class; all for an 8-4 coach. Yes, would’ve been nice to add Shemar to the 2022 class but **** him, he made his bed, now it’s about learning how to be a man.

How long did Durbin have 1 on 1 with Stewart? He didn’t have years either. Make no mistake about it, A&M bought and paid for this historic signing class; all for an 8-4 coach. Yes, would’ve been nice to add Shemar to the 2022 class but **** him, he made his bed, now it’s about learning how to be a man.

Longer than our coach and coaches did.

Football recruiting is about relationships. You can't dismiss that aspect of recruiting just because you want to.

Even with Stewart knowing who the DC was going to be, that doesn't all of a sudden make everything equal.

Yes, they bought and paid for a lot. They also have a national championship winning coach who has an overall coaching record of 117 - 37. Was he 8-4 last year, you bet. We countered with our guy who is 62 - 60 and arguably has much further to go to make it to the top here.

Too little too late. People are looking at this like all things were equal and while we gave it a shot, it wasn't enough. He picked a school that put together one of the best classes on paper ever, recruits like doing that. It is what it is.

Advertisement
First of all let me say this i support Mario 100%. Also this '22 class was made the way it is by bum Manny Diaz. No doubt about it. But also 2 things can be true. And in my opinion Mario made a big mistake twiddling his thumb in hiring and announcing a DC.

Yes most kids came for the program and trust the HC. But Shemar situation was different and ill explain why. He got sensitive about who the DC was, and he said he would not sign with Miami if we didn't have a DC. Said it to Manny Navarro. Why did he have this mentality? Message boards, recruiting scouts and people on social media always mention he gonna grow into a DT and he even tweeted that he was a DE. Mario Cristobal had enough time from last signing day to hire Kevin Steele or whomever else. Steele was not in the NFL, matter of fact he was unemployed. If he was our DC when we visited Shemar or when he came on his OV and you have your future DC break down scheme and role for him that may have been enough to sway him.

Mario made a mistake here and this one stings. Top talented DL are very rare and when we miss them at home it hurts more.

In any case its onward and upward for '23 and im confident this wont happen again.
If any kid is basing his decision on a coach that's a flimsy foundation because they all leave. Mario didn't make a single mistake!

Your post to reaction ratio says it all

Longer than our coach and coaches did.

Football recruiting is about relationships. You can't dismiss that aspect of recruiting just because you want to.

Even with Stewart knowing who the DC was going to be, that doesn't all of a sudden make everything equal.

Yes, they bought and paid for a lot. They also have a national championship winning coach who has an overall coaching record of 117 - 37. Was he 8-4 last year, you bet. We countered with our guy who is 62 - 60 and arguably has much further to go to make it to the top here.

Too little too late. People are looking at this like all things were equal and while we gave it a shot, it wasn't enough. He picked a school that put together one of the best classes on paper ever, recruits like doing that. It is what it is.
Still a month isn’t long enough in my eyes, when the premise of the OP’s argument is that we should have hired a DC early just for Shemar’s sake. You don’t hire just to hire , you put in the work to find coaches that fit your philosophy and requirements for the job/role.

Dumb thread. Go to the penn state board

Advertisement
Stop it. DC was a smokescreen. aTm bought the best class money can buy. Stewart got $1,000,000 in NIL money to go to that cowpoke town with all those other stars.

Let it go. Don’t believe the hype. Could’ve hired Nick Saban to come south to take over the defense.

Stewart was always 10000% aTm. Miami was a courtesy visit and some social media currency.

Still a month isn’t long enough in my eyes, when the premise of the OP’s argument is that we should have hired a DC early just for Shemar’s sake. You don’t hire just to hire , you put in the work to find coaches that fit your philosophy and requirements for the job/role.

Maybe a month would've been the tilting point? Who knows, it still would've been more than we got.

I agree, you don't hire just to hire. There's no question it was a long *** time and while it didn't matter for some, it was said a week or two ago that it didn't help our case.

The lack of coaches in place, it didn't matter to some. It might have mattered to some that didn't come. We'll never know, but there's one thing I'm certain of. The lack of staff didn't help, there's no debating that.

Yes most kids came for the program and trust the HC. But Shemar situation was different and ill explain why. He got sensitive about who the DC was, and he said he would not sign with Miami if we didn't have a DC. Said it to Manny Navarro. Why did he have this mentality? Message boards, recruiting scouts and people on social media always mention he gonna grow into a DT and he even tweeted that he was a DE. Mario Cristobal had enough time from last signing day to hire Kevin Steele or whoNOmever else. Steele was not in the NFL, matter of fact he was unemployed. If he was our DC when we visited Shemar or when he came on his OV and you have your future DC break down scheme and role for him that may have been enough to sway him.

NO!!! This was about the bag and the fat bag handler. TAMU hired new DC DJ Durkin on Jan 5th. He's known Durkin less than a month. You remember him, the guy that got one of his players killed by heat exhaustion without a proper staff at Maryland.

Advertisement
Kid is a dime a dozen. Crazy athletic and measurables. Will grow into a DT.

Horrific coaching at the hs level and up to him if he will put in the work to develop his insane skill set.

Far thing from a guarantee. Huuuuge ceiling and low floor.

Sucks to lose him but his “mentor” is the exact problem in south Florida. Jock sniffing hanger on adult who knows **** about football, but comes across a big time talent once a decade, sells to the highest bidder.

The 4-3 DE crap is comical. No chance in **** this boy leaving high school at that size stays at end unless he’s the 2nd coming of Reggie white. Oh, and Durkin runs multiple fronts, mainly odd in the most recent years. But you know, he’s not at Miami so no big deal.

Last edited:
Your post to reaction ratio says it all

Fans are cult. We look at other teams boards and laugh. Aint much different over here. Stated my opinion on the matter. We all need convenient reasons qhen things don't go our way. Just like the Lizards when they lost Citizen.

"Ruiz paid him"

Pace has another DL coming, so i guess if he comes here its cuz we delivered the bag.

Advertisement
It’s true that he didnt know who’s Miami’s DC was until very late but there’s only 1 DC in America who has actually killed a kid and he signed to go play DT for him.
Plus Durkin only recently (about a month) got hired by A&M, so there was no long established relationship there.

Miami Flo said its not about money. But about guaranteed playing time. I aint saying dude is a god or nothing but he knows some ****. Carrying on saying we got outbid though.
Guaranteed playing time!? 🤣 At A&M Stewart will be competing with 5-6 5 star DL, some of whom are already established on the team, for snaps. At Miami he has a much greater opportunity for significant early playing time.

Guaranteed playing time!? 🤣 At A&M Stewart will be competing with 5-6 5 star DL, some of whom are already established on the team, for snaps. At Miami he has a much greater opportunity for significant early playing time.
That is ridiculous. If anyone actually believes Stewart wouldn’t have gotten PT early with who we have here is on crack. He’s have and easier time seeing the field here than at the other school. We have idiots for fans if they actually believe that foolishness.

Stewart not coming because of a DC Is horse ****. If he was coming he would have came regardless

Advertisement
Back