Coaching Cristobal announces coordinators, Addae, and more (article)...

Cryptical Envelopment

What a long strange trip it's been
Banned
Mario Cristobal went right to work after taking the Miami Hurricanes job in December.

He closed on an early signing day class of 10, added four more in the February signing period.

He brought in five transfers.

And that was with about half a staff.

Recently he's added key hires: Namely offensive coordinator Josh Gattis from Michigan and defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, who most recently was at Tennessee.

Other new faces he's added to the coaching staff: Jahmile Addae from Georgia as the secondary coach and the previous hires of OL coach Alex Mirabal and DL coach Joe Salave'a, both from his Oregon staff.

Kevin Smith was hired away from Ole Miss to coach running backs. Tight ends coach Stephen Field remains on staff, and it's possible Demarcus Van Dyke will be considered for the CB coaching job. Or he could be moved into a recruiting role.

So yes, it's been a busy couple of months since Cristobal came to UM.

"You know how important it is to get the right guys," Cristobal said on 560 AM Wednesday morning. “You have to have 10 home run hires (to be competitive in modern football). Nowadays this is an all out battle 24/7, 365 and you have to get guys willing to go, and go hard.”

As for the specific hires?

“Coach Gattis is about as big a hire as you can have (on offense),” Cristobal said. “The defensive side coach Steele is elite. You take his career and body of work, all his stops, he’s one of the best in the entire country with a ton of experience.”

“As you know it’s about the line of scrimmage and we have Mirabal and Salave’a. So we’re rolling man.

“We just got Addae to join us from Georgia fresh from wining their title. I believe he’s the second overall recruiter in the country. There’s pieces falling in place but a couple of more big hires to make (QB coach and another to be determined position coach).”

Cristobal also stressed that the team still needs to add some more pieces, so the team could be active in the transfer portal moving forward.

“We have more spots to fill,” Cristobal said. “You have to make sure talent acquisition is at the forefront. … Miami football needs to look like Miami football.”

The team is also starting its Fourth Quarter Program, something Cristobal is taking to Miami that he learned at Alabama.

It’s an intense pre-spring mental and physical training program.

“We’ve been after them hard in our fourth quarter program that started yesterday,” Cristobal said. “We’re off to a good start.”

* In recruiting, a key piece that was added who could get a big immediate role is RB Trevonte’ Citizen. Cristobal called him “a different level player, a monster.”

Cristobal added “there are some real talented guys” at running back and that in general across the board “We have a lot of work to do and very little talking to do. … Throw out T-shirts, slogans, Tweets and let’s get our butts to work.”

* Cristobal compared DE Cyrus Moss to a young Jason Taylor.

"Just long, lean, explosive," he said. "We're off the charts excited about him."

* Cristobal said DT signee Ahmad Moten indicated to him at one point that he was going to Oklahoma, but that UM was able to re-set his recruitment and wound up winning out.

“We have to make sure we’re identifying every player that has a chance to be a great player,” Cristobal said.

* Cristobal said in recruiting the program is going to “cast a wide net” and that there will be elite talent coming through campus in March.

* Cristobal said “a networking system in life after football” will be instituted.

“It’s taking off to an entirely different level from the rest of the country,” he said. “Players that played here we’ll have internships where these guys are dialed in and ready to jump into career opportunities when it’s all said and done. And that’s a game changer.”

-Canesport

Advertisement
All I can say is:

Attachments

• 0264112df7332e04c6759e3db3cab38a.gif
    0264112df7332e04c6759e3db3cab38a.gif
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 18
Mario is the King of the offseason we have been waiting for. No more yachts, crashing FSU seminars, tackling dummies, and slogans. Refreshing to see the program building which will pay dividends for years to come. Solid hires in the coordinator and coaching roles who are great recruiters and understand the importance of talent evaluation. Was able to pull off some last second flips of HS recruits and picked some solid additions in the transfer portal. An offseason geared towards winning football games.

Advertisement
Look...love that Mario took alot of stuff from Bama and I know they are the platinum standard in college football..but dammit im getting a little tired of him bringing them up in interviews. Lets turn the page. We get it. Saban is the GOAT and Bama is the greatest program ever. Lets start building UM back to being UM and not being in the image of Bama. I know most will disagree so I wont harp on it.

….“there are some real talented guys” at running back and that in general across the board “We have a lot of work to do and very little talking to do. … Throw out T-shirts, slogans, Tweets and let’s get our butts to work.”

A real coach speaks this way…

Look...love that Mario took alot of stuff from Bama and I know they are the platinum standard in college football..but dammit im getting a little tired of him bringing them up in interviews. Lets turn the page. We get it. Saban is the GOAT and Bama is the greatest program ever. Lets start building UM back to being UM and not being in the image of Bama. I know most will disagree so I wont harp on it.
I don’t believe you…. You are such an excellent harper, I’d hate to see you hold back…

**** Alabama. It may take a little bit for the CIS SEC slurpers to get that elephant trunk out of their asses so harp away.

Advertisement
No I see your point and I'm sure many others do as well. It's very understandable to feel that way. I'm sure that Mario will begin to realize this himself sooner than later. The thing is that Mario is very much in demand by the media right now and he's giving them straight forward and honest answers to their questions which are mostly about how he plans to build Miami back into a national power again.

It's very obvious that Mario's time in Alabama made an incredible impression on him and served to really open his eyes in terms of how successful programs are built and everything that it entails. Oregon was his first opportunity to implement some of what he learned but it was also his first head coaching job at a P5 school and that in itself surely taught him many things.

Fast forward to the present and Mario has found himself in a situation where he can follow the Alabama blueprint from the ground up while also applying everything he has learned about being a P5 head coach and that situation is being the head coach at Miami his Alma Mater and his hometown. So if he seems really eager and excited to execute the Alabama blueprint at his school UM and in the process he drops the Alabama name over and over at first I'm not going to worry too much about it.

I have no problem with Mario mentioning Bama.

It is like a psychological ploy, planting the seed into our potential recruits' and their family's brains. Kids do not have to move to that hillbilly town of Tuscaloosa to win and have stability because we are building something similar and eventually better.

Last edited:
Mario Cristobal went right to work after taking the Miami Hurricanes job in December.

He closed on an early signing day class of 10, added four more in the February signing period.

He brought in five transfers.

And that was with about half a staff.

Recently he's added key hires: Namely offensive coordinator Josh Gattis from Michigan and defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, who most recently was at Tennessee.

Other new faces he's added to the coaching staff: Jahmile Addae from Georgia as the secondary coach and the previous hires of OL coach Alex Mirabal and DL coach Joe Salave'a, both from his Oregon staff.

Kevin Smith was hired away from Ole Miss to coach running backs. Tight ends coach Stephen Field remains on staff, and it's possible Demarcus Van Dyke will be considered for the CB coaching job. Or he could be moved into a recruiting role.

So yes, it's been a busy couple of months since Cristobal came to UM.

"You know how important it is to get the right guys," Cristobal said on 560 AM Wednesday morning. “You have to have 10 home run hires (to be competitive in modern football). Nowadays this is an all out battle 24/7, 365 and you have to get guys willing to go, and go hard.”

As for the specific hires?

“Coach Gattis is about as big a hire as you can have (on offense),” Cristobal said. “The defensive side coach Steele is elite. You take his career and body of work, all his stops, he’s one of the best in the entire country with a ton of experience.”

“As you know it’s about the line of scrimmage and we have Mirabal and Salave’a. So we’re rolling man.

“We just got Addae to join us from Georgia fresh from wining their title. I believe he’s the second overall recruiter in the country. There’s pieces falling in place but a couple of more big hires to make (QB coach and another to be determined position coach).”

Cristobal also stressed that the team still needs to add some more pieces, so the team could be active in the transfer portal moving forward.

“We have more spots to fill,” Cristobal said. “You have to make sure talent acquisition is at the forefront. … Miami football needs to look like Miami football.”

The team is also starting its Fourth Quarter Program, something Cristobal is taking to Miami that he learned at Alabama.

It’s an intense pre-spring mental and physical training program.

“We’ve been after them hard in our fourth quarter program that started yesterday,” Cristobal said. “We’re off to a good start.”

* In recruiting, a key piece that was added who could get a big immediate role is RB Trevonte’ Citizen. Cristobal called him “a different level player, a monster.”

Cristobal added “there are some real talented guys” at running back and that in general across the board “We have a lot of work to do and very little talking to do. … Throw out T-shirts, slogans, Tweets and let’s get our butts to work.”

* Cristobal compared DE Cyrus Moss to a young Jason Taylor.

"Just long, lean, explosive," he said. "We're off the charts excited about him."

* Cristobal said DT signee Ahmad Moten indicated to him at one point that he was going to Oklahoma, but that UM was able to re-set his recruitment and wound up winning out.

“We have to make sure we’re identifying every player that has a chance to be a great player,” Cristobal said.

* Cristobal said in recruiting the program is going to “cast a wide net” and that there will be elite talent coming through campus in March.

* Cristobal said “a networking system in life after football” will be instituted.

“It’s taking off to an entirely different level from the rest of the country,” he said. “Players that played here we’ll have internships where these guys are dialed in and ready to jump into career opportunities when it’s all said and done. And that’s a game changer.”

-Canesport
Love the post-football networking for the players. It's not only the smart thing to do for the kids' futures, given how many won't make the NFL or won't last long if they do, it's also something that will sway a lot of parents in the recruiting process.

Advertisement
I have no problem with Mario mentioning Bama.

It is like a psychological ploy, planting the seed into our potential recruits and their family's brains. Kids do not have to move to that hillbilly town of Tuscaloosa to win and have stability because we are building something similar and eventually better.
Yup. Keep pushing the Bama narrative. Recent championship culture. As much as we love our heyday, the kids don't know/remember any of it. Let's get the mentality fixed and THEN rebuild our name.

Love the post-football networking for the players. It's not only the smart thing to do for the kids' futures, given how many won't make the NFL or won't last long if they do, it's also something that will sway a lot of parents in the recruiting process.
Hard to think negatively of a guy who is saying "If you come here and go hard for my career we will turn around and do the same for you" Bringing back the U family

….“there are some real talented guys” at running back and that in general across the board “We have a lot of work to do and very little talking to do. … Throw out T-shirts, slogans, Tweets and let’s get our butts to work.”

A real coach speaks this way…
Clearly, without a lisp? ;)

Advertisement
Mario is the King of the offseason we have been waiting for. No more yachts, crashing FSU seminars, tackling dummies, and slogans. Refreshing to see the program building which will pay dividends for years to come. Solid hires in the coordinator and coaching roles who are great recruiters and understand the importance of talent evaluation. Was able to pull off some last second flips of HS recruits and picked some solid additions in the transfer portal. An offseason geared towards winning football games.
Exactly. I had a smart-*** Clemson friend tell me yesterday, "what if you guys do all this and still end up 7-5". I said I'm not worried about next year, though we won't go 7-5, I'm excited about the next 5-10 years. This is the first time we got someone who looks like he has a plan in every area. And who wants to build Alabama, here in Miami. Get us to where we would've been if we had hit the accelerator in 2001.

Advertisement
Back