Cristobal and perception

Advertisement
It's not like Mario took this program over from Chip Kelly when it was elite. It had slipped pretty significantly with the guy that had taken the reigns from Kelly. I still remember Utah putting up like 50+ on them in Autzen. Mario had to actually re-establish and remake the Duck program

It's not like Erickson taking over the 1989 Hurricanes, here
Exactly lol.

It wasn’t the Oregon we knew from the Chip days.

If you want a "culture change" coach, Cristobal is an upgrade over Diaz. But so is Schiano. I don't see a big difference between Cristobal and Schiano. They are all the same style coaches. Oregon upset #3 Ohio State. Back in 2006, Rutgers upset #3 Louisville. Rutgers has 5 4 stars currently committed for 2022, last year they had 2. Willie Taggart had a top 20 class at Oregon, Helfrich had multiple top 20. Any minimally competent recruiter isn't going to have trouble recruiting there with all that money so it's not as if Cristobal went to Washington State and started pulling in top 20 classes for the first time in decades. I'm not trying to say he isn't a good recruiter, I'm saying the baseline for an average recruiter at Oregon should be around top 15. Cristobal got them to top 6, which is an accomplishment (Richt got Miami to top 8 and a higher overall recruiting score than Cristobals btw) . Schiano looks like he is taking Rutgers from mid 40s to top 25. I'm not pro Schiano, just saying I don't see a lot of difference between him and Cristobal. They are both good culture coaches, but I would like to go in a different direction and look for a "scheme guru" coach for the first time since Coker was fired.

I believe we might have blew our shot last go around , the wife is probably the only card left that could make it happen.
Maybe I’m just shilling for my team but do you really think he says no if the people who really matter at UM give him a call and tell him that his alma mater needs him?

Advertisement
Maybe I’m just shilling for my team but do you really think he says no if the people who really matter at UM give him a call and tell him that his alma mater needs him?
We’d have to pony up and offer more money for assistance and support staff. It’s all a moot point if Blake is making the hire.

Blake would have to be gone imo, last go around probably left a sour taste in his mouth but his wife does want to come home. Thats one thing working in our favor. I mean thats a ways off , I still want manny to win. I’m just on the Mario train now if he doesn’t.

Advertisement
If you want a "culture change" coach, Cristobal is an upgrade over Diaz. But so is Schiano. I don't see a big difference between Cristobal and Schiano. They are all the same style coaches. Oregon upset #3 Ohio State. Back in 2006, Rutgers upset #3 Louisville. Rutgers has 5 4 stars currently committed for 2022, last year they had 2. Willie Taggart had a top 20 class at Oregon, Helfrich had multiple top 20. Any minimally competent recruiter isn't going to have trouble recruiting there with all that money so it's not as if Cristobal went to Washington State and started pulling in top 20 classes for the first time in decades. I'm not trying to say he isn't a good recruiter, I'm saying the baseline for an average recruiter at Oregon should be around top 15. Cristobal got them to top 6, which is an accomplishment (Richt got Miami to top 8 and a higher overall recruiting score than Cristobals btw) . Schiano looks like he is taking Rutgers from mid 40s to top 25. I'm not pro Schiano, just saying I don't see a lot of difference between him and Cristobal. They are both good culture coaches, but I would like to go in a different direction and look for a "scheme guru" coach for the first time since Coker was fired.
Most important change is AD, along with financial support.

I understand your perspective, I’m just not a believer in guru coaches with magic playbooks. I’ve come around on Mario because of recruiting and bringing toughness back to Miami. He’s a trenches guy, but like his latest mentor adapted to the modern era. Even Saban realized he’ll have games against great offenses where he has to outscore someone. Mario knows this too, he needed 35 to beat OSU and gave up over 500+ yards. Still, he won in the trenches.

I’ve also come around on Lane the past few days, reading about what he says he learned from Saban. I actually think Kiffin‘s personality is a plus, and fits Miami. He needed to mature and grow as a man and a coach, and maybe he‘s done that. Let’s see how Ole Miss does this season.

I don’t see why either couldn’t win at Miami.

Neither likely will ever happen, but who knows?

Advertisement
Blake would have to be gone imo, last go around probably left a sour taste in his mouth but his wife does want to come home. Thats one thing working in our favor. I mean thats a ways off , I still want manny to win. I’m just on the Mario train now if he doesn’t.
Yes

@Cribby help me with something —
I’ve read the “I talked to a Golden Cane” and they are so fed up they went right back to swimming in their money bin and did jack **** about anything — or something like

The basketball teams baseball team and football team should speak for themselves when the big money players say Blake has to go….

What are people waiting for? What’s the resistance?

hearing more and more about how soft and easy the culture is with the UM football program and players

I tend to believe it because it shows up on Saturdays

Manny is not a leader or disciplinarian of young men

I'll say this about Cristobal, his guys looked hardened and tough. It just looks like they want to play for him - and they really have no choice

Miami is soft, and its from the top down
Miami has been SOFT for seemingly 20 years now. We started at the Coker Country Club and we're now at whatever the fvck Diaz is doing.

We can put 99% of this on the coaches. But at some point, and at some level, players need to be held accountable, too. How many times do we need to see 4th and 5th year safeties bite on rudimentary play calling leaving open receivers downfield because they were the held? How many veteran linebackers do we need to see arm tackle in the open field? How many offensive linemen do we see just sit there allowing a defender to come in clean on a RB? How many dropped passes do we need to see from our WRs on some run of the mill smoke routes?

It seems no one really takes this **** seriously anymore. Its intramurals, brother.

Advertisement
Most important change is AD, along with financial support.

I understand your perspective, I’m just not a believer in guru coaches with magic playbooks. I’ve come around on Mario because of recruiting and bringing toughness back to Miami. He’s a trenches guy, but like his latest mentor adapted to the modern era. Even Saban realized he’ll have games against great offenses where he has to outscore someone. Mario knows this too, he needed 35 to beat OSU and gave up over 500+ yards. Still, he won in the trenches.

I’ve also come around on Lane the past few days, reading about what he says he learned from Saban. I actually think Kiffin‘s personality is a plus, and fits Miami. He needed to mature and grow as a man and a coach, and maybe he‘s done that. Let’s see how Ole Miss does this season.

I don’t see why either couldn’t win at Miami.

Neither likely will ever happen, but who knows?

Schnelly and Butch were culture coaches. 2 rings. Erickson, JJ, and Coker were scheme coaches. 3 rings, plus two stolen championships. You can with either, but Miami has tended to have more success with scheme. More importantly, we have tried culture coaches four times in a row. Shannon, Golden, Richt, and Diaz. All preached winning in the trenches. You may forget that Richt tried to build a SEC lite line, Golden actually had decent OLs during his tenure. 2013 squad had Feliciano, Flowers, Isadora, Henderson, and Linder. That's a solid group. It's great for a coach to preach toughness, but I'd rather have a coach that preaches "anything less than 45 points per game is a failure."

Cristobal asked JJ for career advice after he got fired from FIU, had the Miami assistant HC job and then got the Bama OL coach offer. JJ told him he needed to go learn from the best how to be the best. The rest is history. Kiffin made his mistakes but I think his time with Saban made him into a much better coach as well. Kiffin designing an offense around Garcia? Sign me up.

Last edited:
I’ll use a technique Mathew Mcconaughey used in the movie “a time to kill“. Look at Mario’s resume, the great recruiting classes , multiple conference titles , wins at a top tier opponent , Rose bowl title and making a once soft program physical as ****. Now imagine he’s Miami’s coach!!

You’ve blindly defended manny to point it’s just crazy , but pick this guys resume apart like he’s a bum lol. A former came at that. Even though everyone around cfb sees what he’s doing there.

Man its not about defending Manny. He wasn't even my choice when he got hired and I couldn't care less if he got fired tomorrow if the next guy wins.

Just answer me this. Have Mario come here and replicate his exact accomplishments here. Are you seriously telling me the same chuckleheads clamoring for him today wouldn't be wanting his head 2 seconds after Fresno State tied the score in the fourth quarter last Saturday?

"How the **** do you lose to Cal and Oregon State back to back?? Mario's guys are soft and he can't get team ready!"

"Mario got schooled by Campbell and barely beat Fresno ******* State as a three TD favorite after losing to two **** teams!!!"

"He made a guy tearing up the NFL look average!"

"He backed into the P12 championship and beat a **** USC team!"

That's why it's impossible for me to take most of these guys serious. They see only what they want to see.

Agree with this and your earlier post that he immediately had them playing tough and hard nosed. That's exactly what is needed in Coral Gables to go along with a monster recruiter.

Advertisement
Back