Off-Topic Crime 2.0

Advertisement
That is the way things turned out with those picks. But, I'd bet the GOP Presidents who picked the justices you're talking about were as shocked and surprised as the rest of us when their nominees turned out to be less partisan. It surely wasn't their plan.
No… Presidents actually used to pick based on the best qualified individual.

More recently they are picking qualified individuals that align closer to their politics.

Biden picked based on race and gender… and she might be the furthest left judge on the bench… go figure

No… Presidents actually used to pick based on the best qualified individual.

More recently they are picking qualified individuals that align closer to their politics.

Biden picked based on race and gender… and she might be the furthest left judge on the bench… go figure
I think your first statement is a bit naive. Best qualified did seem to play more of a role but a nominee's politics always played a big part.

Advertisement
I think your first statement is a bit naive. Best qualified did seem to play more of a role but a nominee's politics always played a big part.
Not disagreeing that their politics didn't play ANY role... just nowhere near what it does today

Thus, in the past you got conservative judges that were very moderate.

ALL judges should be moderate ... which is getting further and further from the facts of their actions, as we've seen

Not disagreeing that their politics didn't play ANY role... just nowhere near what it does today

Thus, in the past you got conservative judges that were very moderate.

ALL judges should be moderate ... which is getting further and further from the facts of their actions, as we've seen
Agree all judges should be moderate.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I challenge the notion that things are getting bad in cities relative to a clear downward trend by year. We've never been safer as a society and the trends that I posted support that notion that we have gotten safer in virtually every major city out there. I found those via the FBI database of crime metrics:

Now, if you want to start parsing out very nuanced metrics, have at it and we can back and forth.

As for the SC, do you really believe CT is innocent and not pandering to heavy hitting R donors? Which, I'm sure left leaning justices have before but to the degree that CT has? It's not that the media is digging up just for the sake of digging up - there's clearly something there that needs to be exposed.

It's convenient to blame the liberal narrative, which was propelled by the conservative narrative. :)
As someone with intimate knowledge about crime and policing across a good portion of this country, crime is out of control. Please don't rely on stats put out by the FBI or any law enforcement agency, those numbers are fudged to make them look good. Most police departments in major cities are shorthanded and the criminals know that, property crime in particular is off the charts. Heck in many big cities, police won't even respond to a call unless it involves a forcible felony.

As someone with intimate knowledge about crime and policing across a good portion of this country, crime is out of control. Please don't rely on stats put out by the FBI or any law enforcement agency, those numbers are fudged to make them look good. Most police departments in major cities are shorthanded and the criminals know that, property crime in particular is off the charts. Heck in many big cities, police won't even respond to a call unless it involves a forcible felony.

If I can't rely on stats put out by those agencies, tell me what I can rely on? I live in the DC area and I can tell you for sure crime has been greatly reduced over the past 20 years. That was my main point. Go back 30 years and cities like NYC have improved greatly as well. Do you disagree with either of those examples?

If I can't rely on stats put out by those agencies, tell me what I can rely on? I live in the DC area and I can tell you for sure crime has been greatly reduced over the past 20 years. That was my main point. Go back 30 years and cities like NYC have improved greatly as well. Do you disagree with either of those examples?
The only legit source is the officers working the streets. Admittedly, I don't do business in those markets, so I can't specifically speak to those cities, but for the entire southern half of the country coast to coast, what I have seen is dramatic.

The only legit source is the officers working the streets. Admittedly, I don't do business in those markets, so I can't specifically speak to those cities, but for the entire southern half of the country coast to coast, what I have seen is dramatic.

Hang on, you ask me to ignore the stats provided by law enforcement agencies (with data supporting it) but yet accept the anecdotal info from officers working the streets?

Advertisement
Back