Cribby’s keys to UNC

View as article
I’m not big on pithy sports cliches like ‘turning the corner’ and ‘must win’. But I’d agree that this game, for all the buy in and culture change talk, is an important one for coaches, team and fans alike, and it’s easy to imagine this team heading south if we tank today. I think we’ll give a better effort, I just don’t think it will be enough. I’d like to be wrong And see the Canes show up today with some fire and a competent gameplan from the coaches, including some flexibility when things go wrong.

Advertisement
UM better hope this offense breaks one early because if Gattis continues to line up in these tight formations throwing 3 yards to Mallory in the flats, inaccurately, the boo birds will be back after 2 plays.

Advertisement
Here are the Redzone stats where UNC scored 17 TDs ( 7 run, 10 pass) and 1 FG out of 19 redzone opportunities. In contrast, Miami Is 14 TDs (12 run, 2 pass) with 5 FGs in 23 redzone opportunities.

UNC is 15th and we are 73. Crazy thing is our stats are skewed higher because of the first two games. Our last two games would put us even further behind. We have also run so many 4th ands in the red zone this year as well. Its been our biggest issue this year.

Advertisement
363910.jpg
Lemme get my ‘Key’ gifs ready for the game:
1665246975133.gif
1665247015530.gif
1665247040191.gif
1665247122651.gif
1665247190426-gif.210705

1665247475125.gif

Attachments

• 1665247190426.gif
    1665247190426.gif
    924.8 KB · Views: 338
Advertisement
Staying after practice is one thing but X and now Ladson have been doing it on their own time. Not just practice or after practice. Tbh if you aren’t staying after practice as a skill guy or qb at any level its kinda sus Imo. Especially if you’re a key guy.

X‘s work ethic is why some guys clowned him last year. Which is wild.
This was posted before Unc and ironically Ladson has separated himself from the other guys and has made a dramatic jump with targets /catches. Funny how that works. The harder workers get rewarded. It also gains trust from your qb. Maybe do that rather than crying about who gets more targets and it’s only because they’re boys with the qb. Last time I checked Colbie isn’t roommates or boys with TVD. He’s eating just fine. Hard work especially at that position is key.

Every successful team I coached almost 100% of the "Stars" worked the hardest during practice but also when no one was watching. Its a big piece of culture that people dont understand. Because there is always that group that for some reason makes fun of those guys for putting in more work.

This was posted before Unc and ironically Ladson has separated himself from the other guys and has made a dramatic jump with targets /catches. Funny how that works. The harder workers get rewarded. It also gains trust from your qb. Maybe do that rather than crying about who gets more targets and it’s only because they’re boys with the qb. Last time I checked Colbie isn’t roommates or boys with TVD. He’s eating just fine. Hard work especially at that position is key.
There is plenty to look at with the team and ask questions but one of the places that encourages me for the future of the program is hard workers not only getting the opportunity but excelling.

When I think about our recent struggles and what needs to be different we gotta get back to the “Ed Reed” days where the best players were dudes that were playmakers and were more obsessive about football and excellence than everyone else.

I’m encouraged in believing Mario is cultivating that environment.

Advertisement
Its game week and time to finally step away from the debacle of two weeks ago. IMO this game is huge and on many different levels, long term and the short. I only see two ways the season can go and I believe this game will play a huge part in which direction.

Keys to the game

1. Fast start.

This is huge just for peoples mentality, fans included. A big play early to get some “ feel good” on the sideline. A three and out or turnover would be perfect.

2. Defensive line.

That group is the most talented on the team and will be depended on this game. Especially the interior guys. Creating pressure from the inside will allow us to keep a shell coverage and have the numbers advantage in the secondary. That’ll also be huge with keeping their qb from back breaking scrambles on third and fives. Keep contain and depend on your DL to get home and stopping the run with four. Mesidor / Taylor together inside on pass downs. Force them to drive the field. Imo this will dictate the game defensively.

3. A skill guy steps up.

Somebody has to be the guy, regardless if it’s one , two or three of them. Ladson seems to be the guy trying to lead the group , he’s been spending a lot of time after practice with the qb. I’d like to see him , Brashard , Skinner and Brantley more. BS should be the returner on st’s and getting multiple touches a game. Regardless if it’s a reverse , toss or screen. Put him in space ( I know , I’m a broken record). Coaches need to scheme better and guys need to do better getting open. Until that changes it’ll be eight man boxes.

4. Assignment discipline.

Know your assignment and PLAY YOUR ASSIGNMENT!! We gave up multiple long touchdowns the last game because of a db sticking his nose where it didn’t belong while playing deep coverage. Then another db blew a coverage. UNC doesn’t need help scoring. As I said in step one “ force them to drive the ball”.

5. Run the ball.

No duh….right? This is very suspect defense in the front and back end. But as a matchup our OL has to win this battle. If we can’t run the ball and extend drives it’ll likely get away. This is a smallish and tbh soft DL. After two weeks ago this is just what the doctor ordered for our offense.

6. Third down conversions.

As I mentioned above we have to extend drives. Until we fix the third down conversion issue the offense will continue to struggle. Playing in South Florida is useless if you can’t keep the opponents defense on the field.

I‘ve been griping about more Rpo since week one and I believe we’ll finally see more of it this week. It’s been a real head scratcher not using something that’s your qb’s strength. On top of that Imo you’ll see a few adjustments schematically. Maybe meeting in the middle with coaches / players can spark TVD and the O.
Good stuff here 🎯 , all of this is unexplored territory .
GOCANES

So romello isn’t a hard worker ?

Advertisement
Back