Cribby’s keys to the game

View as article
Opening holes will be hard when you’ll be outnumbered most plays. And the DL will be just as big or bigger. The OL will be screwed if we can’t get them to respect us outside.
No way AppSt was respected outside. Texas A&M hasn't been great at stopping the run.

Miami has to force Texas A&M to go 75 yards 3-4 yards at a time. Get 1 negative play and ATM hasn't done well in getting the first down after those negative plays. As you mentioned, they have SPEED and have been living on long plays or nothing. TVD will need to get some key first downs with his feet. Gattis has to confuse the younger front 7.

Advertisement
They key to the game is to be able to run the ball. I'm not sure their defense is as good as those stats say. For App St to keep the ball that long....we have to test that. For some reason they ran alot of 3 man DL v App St and their LBs didn't play particularly well. I want us to get 150 atleast. This game is on TVD to let the ball fly. That's where our biggest advantage is coming into the season. I don't care what happened last week in the first half. Trust the WRs and throw the ball. When TVD just got the start he was a little hesitant, took him around 2 games to just feel free and let it loose. Here it is.
App State depended on a crap load of third down conversions to keep drives alive. Yet they still only averaged in the 3’s ypc and scored 17 points. With all the breaks , third down conversions , dominating time of possession , they scored 17 points. They won every important stat Including turnovers, while having none. With all that the score was 17-14. We can’t depend on that and getting a horrible offensive showing by Tamu. In a game they’ll be focused and not looking past the opponent.

We must stretch the field first and foremost, or the run is out the window. Rather if it’s a te down the seam or K Smith on a go. We will have to back them off and make them respect those guys.

Last edited:
App State depended on a crap load of third down conversions to keep drives alive. Yet they still only averaged in the 3’s ypc and scored 17 points. With all the breaks , third down conversions , dominating time of possession , they scored 17 points. They won every important stat Including turnovers, while having none. With all that the score was 17-14. We can’t depend on that and getting a horrible offensive showing by Tamu. In a game they’ll be focused and not looking past the opponent.

We must stretch the field first and foremost or the run is out the window. Rather if it’s a te down the seam or K Smith on a go. We will have to back them off and make them respect those guys.
they lose that game 9/10 playing that way (app state does). its not something to depend on as a blueprint. we need to be able to score.

No way AppSt was respected outside. Texas A&M hasn't been great at stopping the run.

Miami has to force Texas A&M to go 75 yards 3-4 yards at a time. Get 1 negative play and ATM hasn't done well in getting the first down after those negative plays. As you mentioned, they have SPEED and have been living on long plays or nothing. TVD will need to get some key first downs with his feet. Gattis has to confuse the younger front 7.
They gave up 3.5 ypc. And believe it or not they have more proven guys than us out there. The one guy we had is out so they will disrespect the **** out of us. We have nobody that’s proven they can win a contested ball or consistently get behind people. If X is playing you can bet he would’ve been bracketed.

Advertisement
RPO was a big key to my game as well outside of the obvious. Many players on our starting 11 have a doctorate or two in missing tackles and allowing the big moment.

Excellent call on playcalling like Kentucky did. Masterclass on how to contain a shifty QB who isn’t a great passer/decision maker. Gonna take a big effort to win and may make/break TVDs perception as a 1st round talent if he can turn the lights on this week or not. Need a “heisman moment” out of him to win I think

I'll make a bold prediction; the team that scores more points than the other has an excellent chance of winning.

Jokes aside, excellent points.

they lose that game 9/10 playing that way (app state does). its not something to depend on as a blueprint. we need to be able to score.
Bingo. People are putting way too much into that game and using it to compare Miami to AM. Everything that needs to happen for an epic upset happened last Saturday. Including a big game the week after the g5 opponent. The amount of things that had to happen for that upset to transpire is pretty nuts.

The more I think about this game, the more Virginia Tech 2005 comes to mind. Larry Moper's ONLY signature win, IMHO.

Advertisement
I haven‘t posted one of these in ages so I figured I’d give my two cents on Saturday.

1. Offensively and defensively Miami must be prepared for an early onslaught. This is a very talented team that’s been told for a week “ they suck , they’re soft and were overrated“. It should’ve been a very easy week for the coaches to get their attention. I expect early chunk play attempts to get the early KO.

2. Discipline. Games like this the small things matter, it can go from a leak to a full on tsunami and fast. Tackling in space is a must. Take away all cut back lanes and for god sakes keep contain. A&M has speed to turn a five yard hitch into a 80 yard TD. A missed tackle or blown assignment is how that happens. It’s cliche and not very **** but discipline is a must.

3.Make the qb a pocket passer. Regardless if it’s King or Weigman my goal would be to keep them in the pocket. Take notes from Mr Stoops last week. I’d mix things up from shell coverages to have eyes on the qb , not exposing the Mike in coverage and keeping things in front of the defense. If the DL is what we think it is give them a chance to get home. Maybe throw in some Cb / cat blitzes forcing the cb to the short side of the field. Lastly I’d drop a spy occasionally with one of our better athletes. If we blitz it’s a must they get home. Pick your moments.

4. Wr’s / te’s must make big plays. If we win this game it will be because the wr’s and te’s won some 1 v 1’s. We know AM will load the box and dare them to make plays. Playing in a phone booth against that front with a numbers advantage is a bad recipe. What we’ve seen the last couple weeks will not cut it schematically. That said I expect to see plenty of different looks with formations.

5. No layups. We can’t allow easy scores , regardless if it’s busted assignments , missed tackles and most importantly the return game. Ball security by the punt returners, TS , George or whoever is back there is a must. Catch the ball first!!!! This is an underrated area where losing X hurts.

6. RPO. Use more formations outside the hashes and heavy Rpo’s. It was obvious last year the biggest difference with the offense was the Rpo with Tvd versus King. He thrived in that area because of his quick decision making. We’ve also set the run up early in the season and haven’t used the te’s as well as the Rpo. This could be the perfect time to unleash both.

The biggest key is not having a catastrophe happen early , that could start the “ here we go again“ doubts to creep in. Drag the game out and put the pressure on them. Imo we need to play a good game and get a break or two to win this one. Hopefully we can end the streak of turds being laid in these big road games.
#3 on your list, just like @SouthParkCane cane said in another thread regarding #11, has me………….
Scared 30 Rock GIF by HULU

Biggest key is Oline. We have invested ALOT in these guys. YEARSSS we put into these guys for games like this. In 2019 against UF we threw Nelson and Campbell in the deep end of a fire pit pool by having them baptized by UF experienced ends. Scaife was also starting that game. In 2020 when we went on road to clemson we had that same trio AND our center Jakai in that game and they were DOA as soon the ball was snapped. In these types of games on the road nothing else matters if your Oline cant even hold a block for one second.

These guys against clemson gave up 5 sacks, 11 Tackles for loss, 89 rushing yards on 25 att. Most yards came from King running for his life (84 yards) Other leading rusher Cam Harris had 3 yards on 8 Carries. That is not even in the vicinity of acceptable to give us a chance. Texas A&M is young unfront, App st was able to hold them at bay, we have a TON of starts between all these guys, they need to hold the fort. If they put the same performance upfront, no game plan will work. Mario/Mirabal save us!

#3 on your list, just like @SouthParkCane cane said in another thread regarding #11, has me………….
Scared 30 Rock GIF by HULU
If they feel it’s man the first place they look is the rb on 11. If he’s on the field I’d use more zone ( shell) or blitz him. Giving a faster lb, star or S the matchup.

Last edited:
Great news also here is Mario/Gattis/Steele are not new to this. They have been in plenty big games as recent as last year. The moment won’t be too big for them at all. No deer in headlights moments.
This is a huge deal. Aside from the short Richt era, we haven’t had a coaching staff that’s been there and done that in a long time. Even the Richt era, aside from himself, the staff was inexperienced. What we are dealing with now is another level. Our top three guys (HC, OC & DC) have all been on the big stage with the same coaching titles as now and done it; this isn’t new for them. That level of experience from the top down is something new for us. Hopefully it makes a difference.

Advertisement
Biggest key is Oline. We have invested ALOT in these guys. YEARSSS we put into these guys for games like this. In 2019 against UF we threw Nelson and Campbell in the deep end of a fire pit pool by having them baptized by UF experienced ends. Scaife was also starting that game. In 2020 when we went on road to clemson we had that same trio AND our center Jakai in that game and they were DOA as soon the ball was snapped. In these types of games on the road nothing else matters if your Oline cant even hold a block for one second.

These guys against clemson gave up 5 sacks, 11 Tackles for loss, 89 rushing yards on 25 att. Most yards came from King running for his life (84 yards) Other leading rusher Cam Harris had 3 yards on 8 Carries. That is not even in the vicinity of acceptable to give us a chance. Texas A&M is young unfront, App st was able to hold them at bay, we have a TON of starts between all these guys, they need to hold the fort. If they put the same performance upfront, no game plan will work. Mario/Mirabal save us!
How they control the blitz is huge. If we can’t block it there’s no sense in getting off the bus.

Advertisement
How they control the blitz is huge. If we can’t block it there’s no sense in getting off the bus.
They are gonna test us early, wouldnt be surprised if they wont respect our guys outside til they prove they can beat guys one on one and keep pressure up front to try to rattle TVD and see how we respond. Do we have guys that can beat guys one on one? Will we be able to handle blitzes up front, can we keep TVD clean and give him time to find anyone..

Advertisement
Back