Covering the Spread late in Games

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
So the title indicates this is a thread for gamblers, but it's really a message about depth. We're going to be in some spots this year to really push up to cover the spread. It's not so much because we're necessarily "elite" yet, but because of the nature of our backups.

Offense
QB
- 2nd guy on the field is going to be in a deep competition regardless. The coaches will need film - for this year or next - and therefore this won't be a position where it's mostly handing the ball off on 1st and 2nd downs.
RB - Our current "5th" guy is Lorenzo Lingard. When Homer and Deejay exit the field, you're going to see some really talented and hungry guys trying to break long ones.
WR - I mentioned on the podcast this position group specifically. From what I've seen and heard, it's unlike any top to bottom WR group I can remember in the last 20 years. When N'Kosi Perry or Jarren Williams are on the field in the 4th quarter, they're throwing the ball to guys with future top 3 round potential: Pope, Hightower, Ezzard, Wiggins, and even Langham, who the coaches will want to reward for his work as he moves toward the draft.
TE - We simply don't have enough of them and the ones we do have need reps, so late in ballgames you might see Will Mallory matched up against FIU's 2nd string Safety. Good times.
OL - We finally have a slight competition. I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing yet because some of our interior guys aren't yet proven to be high level, but the point is you have a likely second team line of LT Scaife, LG Boulware, C Gaynor, RG Reed, RT Herbert/Hillery. It's at least talented enough.

Defense
DL
- Look, Greg Rousseau and Patchan might team up to create 4 TOs themselves. It means you're looking at a significant and scary pass rush even at the very end of the game, which hopefully means some short fields late in games.
DT - Hey, depth. Hey, young depth. Right now, our 5th and 6th DTs are Silvera and Miller. Nesta might still make a move, but it'd only likely mean Ford is then in the group.
LB - Can't wait to see Steed on the field. At striker defending the pass late in games, you'll see the loser of the Smith/Finley battle. Good to match up against opponents' 4th quarter guys.
DB - Outside of Rousseau, this is where it'll be most interesting. We had such a promising DB class that late in games we're going to see future NFLers. Remember that? Finally. And, that might mean TOs, short fields and even Pick-6s.

Look at our schedule, how things project to turn out (mere speculation), how we performed against the spread last year in certain situations, and then add in our unique situations with hungry, young players in the game late. I think we're in for some interesting 4th quarters and it sorta reminds me of a few times in the WEZ of the O-Bowl.

Can't wait.

Advertisement
Couldnt agree more, Lu. Here's hoping we see alot of "garbage time" situations this season.

I really want this concept of playing back ups to be a reality. No more close games against the likes of Pitt and UVA.

Advertisement
I thought this was going to be his defensive break down of how we are going to cover spread teams late in games.

I would move Reed next to Scaife on the oline and move Boulware to the right.

Those two worked well in the all star game together moving guys around effortlessly.

Advertisement
I would move Reed next to Scaife on the oline and move Boulware to the right.

Those two worked well in the all star game together moving guys around effortlessly.
I wouldn’t this year at least, Mahoney seems entrenched as a starter right now at right guard. Boulware will keep the heat on Jahair Jones especially since he’s started in the sec before and maybe overtake him at some point in the season

I wouldn’t this year at least, Mahoney seems entrenched as a starter right now at right guard. Boulware will keep the heat on Jahair Jones especially since he’s started in the sec before and maybe overtake him at some point in the season

Read Lu's post. I'm talking about the 2nd unit.

LT Scaife
LG Reed
C Gaynor
RG Boulware
RT Hillery/Herbert

I just switched the guards from his original post.

We started slow far too often last year. It led to playing catch-up in the 3rd, and dogfights in the 4th. I really hope we don’t see that crap again this year.

As far as the backups (esp QB), savannah state will be a fun game. Should be plenty of snaps to go around.

Advertisement
Let's hope the starting offense can score enough early to where the second and third team guys actually see the field. The reserves played very little last year outside of spot duty. Right now I'm looking at Savannah State as the only "lock" for playing time for the reserves, although the FIU game is a likely blowout too. The offense was often slow starting last year so even when they did score a lot, it wasn't until the 2nd and 3rd quarter when they finally started putting up points.

Excellent post.

Haters who think Richt is too conservative or too nice to RUTS should know he often beat the 'sisters of the poor' teams on his SEC schedule by 30-40-50 points. And he wasn't opposed to running up 40+ points in SEC games either, especially rivalry games like Auburn and Tennessee.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back