Coverage and scheme

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
I have to ask because I'm sure there are more knowledgeable posters than myself: What is our infatuation with Blitzing with Corners playing off coverage? This seems to be diametrically opposed lines of thinking. To me if we are going to blitz we should have our CB's playing tight bump and run coverage. Were we just too scared of Bama's speed at wideout? Is this just who Manny is? (likely the answer)

Advertisement
I have to ask because I'm sure there are more knowledgeable posters than myself: What is our infatuation with Blitzing with Corners playing off coverage? This seems to be diametrically opposed lines of thinking. To me if we are going to blitz we should have our CB's playing tight bump and run coverage. Were we just too scared of Bama's speed at wideout? Is this just who Manny is? (likely the answer)
But but Manny said it worked on his x box

I honestly believe that he doesn’t study anyone else. There’s tons of blitzing schemes that are innovative and that he could just copy but he won’t. He dialed up the CB blitz because it was our most effective blitz last year with Frierson and Couch, but he wasn’t the only person to notice that. Bama was prepared for what we did successfully last season. They key on that and took it away. Manny and Lashlee will not budge. Definitely smartest dudes in the room types.

I honestly believe that he doesn’t study anyone else. There’s tons of blitzing schemes that are innovative and that he could just copy but he won’t. He dialed up the CB blitz because it was our most effective blitz last year with Frierson and Couch, but he wasn’t the only person to notice that. Bama was prepared for what we did successfully last season. They key on that and took it away. Manny and Lashlee will not budge. Definitely smartest dudes in the room types.
And we never disguise our blitzes. I was calling them out during the game. If we ever want a chance of the blitzes getting home we need to at least give them a chance by trying to play some tight bump and run coverage.

Advertisement
Never seen a scheme that telegraphs the blitz quite like ours. Watching Couch repeatedly get sent with zero disguise is one of the most lolworthy things we see on Saturdays. Especially against someone like bama

Last edited:
Advertisement
60F7349C-9502-41B7-8552-05E11F4E4D36.jpeg

You mean like this one? Where you blitz the left side of the Oline and they don’t have anyone to block but the blitzer?

His defense is so ridiculously ill conceived that it’s embarrassing to even discuss . He loves to be aggressive in the front 7 and super passive on the back end . The result is huge patches of open space where defenders are consistently put in conflict . Other than that , I’m a huge fan

Last edited:
Advertisement
His defense is ridiculously ill conceived that it’s embarrassing to even discuss . He loves to be aggressive in the front 7 and super passive on the back end . The result is huge patches of open space where defenders are consistently put in conflict . Other than that , I’m a huge fan

opposing coaches must have wet dreams game planning for Manny’s schemes

I’m done with him. I love the Canes, I’d love nothing more than to see them win out. But history has proven that it’s not a smart bet under Manny coached teams.

I bet TRob just rolls his eyes in defensive meetings

The one thing I don’t get is what we are trying to take away and how does our front seven compliment our back end? For instance, we play inside fronts and stunt or slant hard, causing cut back lanes all the time. We have no compliment to this with corners in outside leverage and linebackers coming down hill.

or - we play go delayed 6 man pressure on 3rd and medium, but our zone are 8 yards off before they pick up a player. We are taking away the deep ball that the QB theoretically won’t have time to hit instead of covering a crosser or flat route and making him hit a 30 yard pattern under pressure.

I don’t know what we are trying to accomplish. We don’t want get beat deep so we play palms/quarters but we also want to be really aggressive up don’t and force people to hit wide open targets underneath? That’s why our best defensive play is “WR drop”

Advertisement
And we never disguise our blitzes. I was calling them out during the game. If we ever want a chance of the blitzes getting home we need to at least give them a chance by trying to play some tight bump and run coverage.
Probably why our players never get there either. Always late or picked up or the ever popular run into each other and take each other out. Just once I would like to see the blitz actually work against a team with a pulse.

These illogical things are what happens when the HC never actually played the game
Amen brother, been screaming it at the top of my lungs for three years now! I played linebacker in college and my position coach and DC would laugh there a$$es off at manures blitz combos that have no disguise and the opposing team can see a mile away. Amateur hour at its best they’d say! Lmao and don’t even get them started on our linebackers and whole defense for that matter playing with no gap/edge control and the Backers out there running around like chickens with there heads cut off following no keys whatsoever. This is a badly coached team by a bad coach who doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing because he’s never done any of these things himself on the field since he was never on the field! They should rename Madden 22 to Manny 22 because that’s the gist of manures knowledge of football.

Last edited:
Amen brother, been screaming it at the top of my lungs for three years now! I played linebacker in college and my position coach and DC would laugh there a$$es off at manures blitz combos that have no disguise that the opposing team can see a mile away. Amateur hour at its best they’d say! Lmao and don’t even get them started on our linebackers and whole defense for that matter playing with no gap/edge control and the Backers out there running around like chickens with there heads cut off following no keys whatsoever. This is a badly coached team by a bad coach who doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing because he’s never done any of these things himself on the field since he was never on the field! They should rename Madden 22 to Manny 22 because that’s the gist of manures knowledge of football.

Advertisement
Back