Couple of Practice 1 notes

robertpaige

Frosh
Today was the first day of practice and I got to see a lot of what was going on before and during practice. Here are a couple notes I made:

-Owens back in green
Doesn't mean he isn't as good as we all think he will be, but shows that he has a ways to go until we should expect him getting serious burn. I was more impressed today with Young than Owens. Young has a superb confidence about him when he walks around the field. Looks like he belongs there.

-Didn't see Jenkins, probably in red shirt
-Carter in black
Not quite sure why, but Jenkins wasn't practicing. This gave Carter all the reps with the ones. Tolson and Crawford were the notable twos. Tolson looks good actually, could see some time this year

-Jelani still sucks
I don't know where to start with this kid.. Never met him in person, but from practice today all I could gather is that this man is just flat-out lazy. Went through the motions with every drill, forced the DL to do up-downs on more than one occassion due to lack of effort/speed. Not expecting much from him this year given the character and work ethic issues apparent today.

-D'Mauri Jones / Rashawn Scott looked good
Didn't get to watch much of the offense, but D'Mauri is looking really good. Caught a lot of balls, saw him working in the both twos and ones. Could be both Jones' and Scott's year to get good burn on the outside opposite Dorsett.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I remember during Jelani's recruitment a lot of people in the know said he was as highly rated as he was on size alone and that his on-field product was lacking. Looks like those people were right.

Good to hear that about D'Mauri. I know a lot of posters wanted to see some production out of him this year. He could be that huge jump ball, endzone threat we've been looking for.

Good work, love knowing whats going on in practice. Keep it up.

I was more impressed today with Young than Owens. Young has a superb confidence about him when he walks around the field. Looks like he belongs there.

Good to know Young walks around as if he's the best linebacker on the field. O_0 Please keep us updated on what he looks like, while actually diagnosing plays if you will.

I've actually seen nothing but good things out of Tolson @ Safety.. It's time to let that guy play. He's awesome in run support; big hitter!!

Last edited:
Impossible that D'Mauri might be good. Thought the rule was that if you don't do anything by the time you're 19 you're a JAG...

Advertisement
Can't wait to watch both Young and Owens making plays. Dudes are going to be legit.

I liked Tolson in last year's spring game. He was laying the wood.

Really good to hear about Scott after his injury. Jones too. Glad he is progressing.

This season is going to be interesting.

Advertisement
According to Matt Porter, Perryman said he's going to play 4-3 MLB.

1.gif

Advertisement
That could mean when they are in the 4-3, which they use from time to time.

If you want it to take it further and assume they are going back to the 4-3, an assumption without much support in reality yet, at least before these comments, this means Raphael Kirby is the big loser in this. Perryman is a Will. Granted, at 245, that's a little big for a Will, but that is his natural spot. Seems coaches still don't trust Kirby. Grace at 220 would be the Will, which is definitely a natural fit, especially in a 4-3 Under, where he is totally protected from DL. Figs is the Sam. Kirby is holding the bag.

Grace, Perryman and Figatron is actually a very gifted group of LB. Wyche and Hertelou rotate at the 1, Pierre and Kamalu rotate at the 3. Chick at 280 is the SDE. AQM, if he can get into the low to mid 250s, is the WDE.

Teams will run weak alot with AQM and Grace on that side.

According to Matt Porter, Perryman said he's going to play 4-3 MLB.

Could it be?!?!??!?!?!?

I think what he means is that when we line up in a 4-3, he will play MLB and Kirby will play WLB.

They were almost exclusively 3-4 today, with Perryman lining up inside to the strong side and Kirby inside on the weak side (same side as the stand-up rush end).

Advertisement
Also saw a 3-4 today with AQM, Kirby, Perryman, and Figs that looked pretty beastly. With AQM closer up to the line and Figs backed off a little

Advertisement
Back