Counting Football Scholarships Forward

How can the NCAA prove it was arranged? Could just be a "random" encounter next to the plantains in Publix. It happens.
The same way any prosecutors prove anything. They talk to people, and people crack. The more people involved in a caper the greater the likelihood that someone will say something to fck up the caper.

They'll see that we tried to circumvent the spirit of the rule by being cute, and that's the sort of stuff that ruffles the feathers of prosecutorial bodies. They can either choose to overlook it and not want the headache, or look into it and start interviewing people. They start interviewing 20 year olds, and you never know what they'll come up with.

Advertisement
When does TOC come in with a steel chair and bash paranos when he’s not looking?

Right about now.

Walk-ons have to be on campus for one year prior to getting a scholarship. Not one day.

So, yeah, there's that.

It's just funny how these random porsters think they have figured out some loophole that 120 other coaching staffs/athletic departments haven't figured out.

Wait so with Walker already added, they are saying we could still take 1-3 more dudes?

Yeah, limits don't matter, rules don't matter, all you have to do is listen to some random interwebz dude and it becomes fact.

We can take 20 more guys, Manny has been keeping all the loopholes secret. All we have to do is stop recruiting everyone, have bump contacts in Publix with the entire 2021 recruiting class, allow them all to enroll in the fall, and then immediately put them on scholarship after Labor Day...and nothing will count against us.

Right about now.

Walk-ons have to be on campus for one year prior to getting a scholarship. Not one day.

So, yeah, there's that.

It's just funny how these random porsters think they have figured out some loophole that 120 other coaching staffs/athletic departments haven't figured out.

Tagalovia could be used that way, enroll and walk on. Then go on scholly next year. Or just wait to enroll until until spring.

Wait so with Walker already added, they are saying we could still take 1-3 more dudes?

Nobody said we could TAKE 1-3 more dudes. Some people said that we have been CONTACTED by 1-3 more dudes and/or that we have some interest in 1-3 more dudes.

Even Ivins, who claims we have 1 countback remaining, would tell you that we can only take ONE more Fall 2020 person (which I don't even believe fully at this time).

Moise might need to prep, Taulia Tag-along might need to cut a check for $75K, and I have no idea where we now stand with Williams, particularly if Walker was told he could play as a freshman by the Gaytors and that was his primary problem with those corches.

Advertisement
Tagalovia could be used that way, enroll and walk on. Then go on scholly next year. Or just wait to enroll until until spring.

I agree with you 100% on Tag-along.

Money Alabama has paid to the Tag-along family > one-year cost of attendance at Miami

The only recruiting UM will have to do with Taulia is pointing out where the Registrar's office is.

I agree with you 100% on Tag-along.

Money Alabama has paid to the Tag-along family > one-year cost of attendance at Miami

The only recruiting UM will have to do with Taulia is pointing out where the Registrar's office is.

He’s recruiting us lol. I was told Williams wasn’t happening last week then I was told something changed a few days ago ( as I posted ). I don’t know if something changed with Asa waiver. I know they applied , I actually forgot about it.

Nobody said we could TAKE 1-3 more dudes. Some people said that we have been CONTACTED by 1-3 more dudes and/or that we have some interest in 1-3 more dudes.

Even Ivins, who claims we have 1 countback remaining, would tell you that we can only take ONE more Fall 2020 person (which I don't even believe fully at this time).

Moise might need to prep, Taulia Tag-along might need to cut a check for $75K, and I have no idea where we now stand with Williams, particularly if Walker was told he could play as a freshman by the Gaytors and that was his primary problem with those corches.

Tbh I thought Williams would be it “ if their sudden loophole ( Asa) worked out. I dong know where he’s getting the third guy from. I posted “ options “ because of Walker , Williams and tua. Ivins saying 1-3 more guys doesn’t add up imo , more like 1.

He’s recruiting us lol. I was told Williams wasn’t happening last week then I was told something changed a few days ago ( as I posted ). I don’t know if something changed with Asa waiver. I know they applied , I actually forgot about it.

Yeah, I am just confused by the comments that Ivins is making.

He told me, directly, that we had one more countback from 2019-2020. Now he is claiming that we are cannibalizing the next (2021-2022) recruiting class, which we can't do under the NCAA rules.

UM is not resuming classes until the Fall, so there will be no Summer session. I guess we'll know when classes start again in August.

Advertisement
In one way, I would love it if we can enroll both Walker and Williams this fall...

Because then, nobody could EVER make the claim that we have any countbacks remaining. Never ever. Never again.

Assuming that the reports that the Canes are at their scholarship limit are accurate, then we should also expect there to be some current Canes hitting the transfer Portal soon as they learn that the prospects for real playing time is slim.

If recent past history is any indication, I expect at least three more transfers by Fall camp

When we just put all the walk-ons on scholarship, Did they eat into our ability to get somebody like the Houston OT? Or do they count against several years ago?

Advertisement
When we just put all the walk-ons on scholarship, Did they eat into our ability to get somebody like the Houston OT? Or do they count against several years ago?
Putting those walk-ons on scholarship has nothing to do with our initial counter quandary right now. We were so woefully under the total 85 limit that Scholarship Claus came to town.

Putting those walk-ons on scholarship has nothing to do with our initial counter quandary right now. We were so woefully under the total 85 limit that Scholarship Claus came to town.

IC’s is all that matters , once they’re full you can put the toothpaste back in the tube , no matter if you have 85 on roster or 65.

Advertisement
Right about now.

So, yeah, there's that.

There is a different section that covers walkons and being on campus for a year before being granted a football scholarship. The section I referenced is something different entirely. Read the rules, before adding 2cents.

15.5.6.3.5 Aid First Awarded After First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least one academic year may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation.

Go Canes

Last edited:

Some people have a hard time understanding that putting walk-ons on scholarship has no impact on how many people you can sign each year. They always use the “extra“ scholarships, that can’t be used on a recruit or a transfer, for the walk ons. And they are year-to-year.

It doesn’t affect recruiting at all. But that’s a hard thing for some people to understand.

There is been a lot of debates on how this can be done. Here is the rules from the NCAA handbook for FY2019-2020 that define what a recruit is and a non recruited Student-Athlete. This rule could be applied to Houston oline grad transfer Jarrid Williams as long he doesn't OV Miami, meet with coaches in person, nor gets a NLI from Miami. I am thinking he comes as a walk on and is immediately put on scholarship after his 1st day of fall practice.

15.02.9 Recruited Student-Athlete.
For purposes of Bylaw 15, a recruited student-athlete is a studentathlete who, as a prospective student-athlete: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, Revised: 4/25/18) (a) Was provided an official visit to the institution’s campus; (b) Had an arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with a member of the institution’s coaching staff (including a coach’s arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with the prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete’s family members); or (c) Was issued a National Letter of Intent or a written offer of athletically related financial aid by the institution for a regular academic term.

15.5.6.3.3 Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid During First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.9) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice during the first year of enrollment becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question. However, the studentathlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which the aid was first received.

Go Canes

We actually could apply this rule for Walker as well since his recruitment reset when he left Florida.

Advertisement
Back