Could Perry Return in 2021?

Advertisement
Perry showed a lot of growth in 2020, both on and off the field. By all accounts he handled his demotion with character. When he got his chance in the bowl game, he made the most of it.

Perhaps it was good for Perry to sit behind someone like King. Sitting behind Rosier likely didnt help develop the leadership skills you'd want to see from a QB1.

Has Perry used his redshirt year? I cannot recall.

I continue to assume that King will not be ready until week 4 (Central Connecticut game). This presents the possibility that Perry could start 3 games in 2021, then take his redshirt year and still have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Just a thought.
Yes, he redshirted.
He still has two years of eligibility left. Last year he was a redshirt junior, but last year doesn’t count. So he’s still a rJR.

Maybe he transfers to Baga, becomes the starter and throws fir 967 yards and 7 TD’s against us in the opener....by the way, UNC scored again.

There's always a chance that Satan will take him in as an assistant..

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lol;

Bruh. What r u talking about? Lol.

Here’s our starting QBs since 2016:

2016-17: JR. Brad Kaaya
2017-18: RS Jr. Malik Rosier
2018-19: RS Sr. Malik Rosier
2019-20: RS Fr Jarren Williams
2020-21: Rs Sr. D’Eriq King

N’Kosi got some burn last yr to spark us as a RS Sophomore (or 3rd yr in the program) & some burn as a RS Fr in 2018 (or 2nd yr in the program), but at NO TIME was dude ever thee man here, so I have zero idea what U’re talking about.
You're missing the point. Two things can be true at the same time. Perry was/is talented. He was also immature and didn't put enough into learning the QB position early on and the off the field immaturity didn't help either.

Like I said, a lot of fans soured on him and have moved on and won't allow themselves to consider him as a viable option moving forward. So, if he he had not played, nobody would have payed attention to the off the field and we would be looking at him in a completely different light. More of a "where has this guy been? Can't wait to see him next year." Instead he's moving on and most fans are just fine with that.

It does kinda make sense for him to stay. Take over the job in 2022 with 2 years in the offense under your belt.

Perry would have a good sense of whether he is the leader in the clubhouse at the end of next season. If he’s been surpassed, transfer then and you still get spring ‘22 with the new team.

I get why he wouldn’t do that. But it’s for sure a defensible strategy.
You never know what could happen in 2021. King may not be ready until several games into the season. God forbid, King could get injured against Bama the same way French did a few years ago.

I hope he takes his time. I hope he doesn't leave to some low level G5 school because I think he can be the guy for 2022.

You're missing the point. Two things can be true at the same time. Perry was/is talented. He was also immature and didn't put enough into learning the QB position early on and the off the field immaturity didn't help either.

Like I said, a lot of fans soured on him and have moved on and won't allow themselves to consider him as a viable option moving forward. So, if he he had not played, nobody would have payed attention to the off the field and we would be looking at him in a completely different light. More of a "where has this guy been? Can't wait to see him next year." Instead he's moving on and most fans are just fine with that.
Right on target. This is exactly it. Now, if Perry had gone to a school with a good QB coach and an overall healthy environment, (I think we're improving and have improved in those areas) then King wouldn't have needed to come here. He required more watering and sunlight than we were able to give him until this past year. Similar situation with Kyle Wright minus a Lashlee coming in at the end.

All the best to Perry. As long as he doesn't play against and beats us, I'll be rooting for him.

Advertisement
Perry coming back is the best thing for us AND him. I really hope he withdraws from the portal.

A healthy Perry is better than a recovering King. N’Kosi has learned to protect the football and changes this offense with his downfield ability. He used to be a turnover machine. The oldNkosi would have been a mess with the low snaps and pressure. He saw the field and made good decisions quickly. OSU has a solid defense and he was picking them apart.

Tvd and Garcia will be TRUE FRESHMEN in 2021 and redshirt freshmen in 2022. N’Kosi won’t hurt their development and gives us the best chance to win games the next two years. They will only be sophomores in 2023. When one transfers it will be because of the other or a new qb recruit, not N’Kosi.

I hope N’Kosi listens to his heart and stays. He can play really well to start 2021 and put himself in the drivers seat for 2022 and live out his dream of being a successful quarterback at the University of Miami.

N’Kosi, if you read this, bet on yourself. You got your degree, so put EVERYTHING you have into being the best you can be. 2022 can be a huge year for you. ****, 2021 can be huge. We have no idea if King will really be ready and if he his knee will be strong enough to make him the best option even when he is cleared medically.

Right on target. This is exactly it. Now, if Perry had gone to a school with a good QB coach and an overall healthy environment, (I think we're improving and have improved in those areas) then King wouldn't have needed to come here. He required more watering and sunlight than we were able to give him until this past year. Similar situation with Kyle Wright minus a Lashlee coming in at the end.

All the best to Perry. As long as he doesn't play against and beats us, I'll be rooting for him.
I hope he stays, but wish him well. He should consider how much more he could improve under Lashlee. If I'm Perry, the only way I stay if I get some guarantees the same way they're giving King. If I beat these young guys out this Spring and Fall, then I'm the starter for 2022.

Bringing him back won't help anything. I'm a Kosi fan, but at this time it's best for both parties to go separate ways.

Advertisement
Manny declared King the starter next year as soon as he’s healthy. Regardless of how well Perry plays and practices until then. No way do I return under those circumstances, just not a fair shake for him.

moved to tears crying GIF

He’s in the portal. He’s not playing here ever again. I know it would be nice insurance for King if he has a setback but it’s not happening. It’s selfish for fans to want Perry to sacrifice another year of eligibility just for the small possibility of starting one game before going back to the bench again. Think of it this way. With King rehabbing, all the reps in spring will be split between the guys who need them the most. TVD and Jake Garcia (and Matocha too, I guess).

Advertisement
Why do you think these guys are better than Perry at this stage in all their careers? You haven't seen them play a down of football. Oh, TVD had a few snaps where he got sacked.

You are confused, you aren't following the conversation.
If you go back and read I was responding to someone that said Garcia didn't come to miami to sit till 2022-23.

Manny declared King the starter next year as soon as he’s healthy. Regardless of how well Perry plays and practices until then. No way do I return under those circumstances, just not a fair shake for him.
And there 's no scenario where Perry is the starter in 2022. Don't know why anyone thinks that's possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TVD or Garcia or maybe both of them depending on how spring and summer shapes up, get snaps vs Bama, even if King can play. Lashlee may choose to platoon the QBs , especially since King will be coming back from injury.

I hope and pray we never see Perry take another snap here. He is a good kid and should transfer where he can start and play.

Advertisement
Back