Could Have Been 'Canes: Class of 2008

View as article
gogeta4 said:
t.y. hilton was THE ONLY OPTION for fiu...@ Miami he would be fighting to get in the rotation....

it all goes to "fit" and scheme to me...

Travis Benjamin would put up similar or better numbers than T.Y. did had he played at FIU.

Out of this group the only ones that hurt or are true misses to me are:
Patrick Jonson ( we had him as a commit)..

and Corey Liuget.

the rest not so much.

Janoris Jenkins was a pretty good player..but we were shooting for the PJ and Brandon Harris coup.

Lavonte David developed in college..and besides we already had him in (sean spence)...

Robert Sands was a scheme player as a rover type....and Travis Howard is a bum imo.

I completely disagree with the statement about Hilton fighting for playing time here... He is better than every single one of the receivers taken in that 08 Class, even Benjamin

TY Hilton was the odd man out and rightfully so.

Our wide outs would have looked like stars if they played for FIU also. Travis Benjamin would have put up better numbers.

I disagree that Benjamin would have put up better numbers

And I understand what you guys are saying about everything looking better in hindsight, but that is the point of this feature: to show you guys that the recruiting game isn't an exact science.

Travis Benjamin is faster than TY and likely runs better routes even with him being a raw route runner.

T.Y. has more wiggle, and has a nice pair of mits...put Trav over there and he kills the sunbelt.....do u not realize trav Benjamin was running by nfl level cbs like they were quicksand while here....T.Y saw maybe 2-3 nfl type players a year.

Advertisement
A few others as we go down to memory lane...

Jamie Harper, RB, Clemson - Always thought he was overrated...but he had an OK career at Clemson and is a backup pro.
Jerico Nelson, LB, Arkansas - We recruited him very lightly as a RB, he ended up going to Arkansas and was a pretty decent LB for them.
Matt Patchan, OT, Florida - underachieved so far...big year for him, going to be starting for UF.
Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State - Got on him after he decommitted, was down to us or Florida State...had a good career, now a pro.
Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama - He wanted to go to Miami, would have committed on his visit, the Friday before his visit, the staff called him and told him to stay home...one of the worst recruiting decisions the staff made. Weight issues, but ridiculously productive for Alabama, now a cog in the Baltimore Ravens D.
Lerentee McCray, LB, Florida - Middling player at Florida.

A few others as we go down to memory lane...

Jamie Harper, RB, Clemson - Always thought he was overrated...but he had an OK career at Clemson and is a backup pro.
Jerico Nelson, LB, Arkansas - We recruited him very lightly as a RB, he ended up going to Arkansas and was a pretty decent LB for them.
Matt Patchan, OT, Florida - underachieved so far...big year for him, going to be starting for UF.
Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State - Got on him after he decommitted, was down to us or Florida State...had a good career, now a pro.
Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama - He wanted to go to Miami, would have committed on his visit, the Friday before his visit, the staff called him and told him to stay home...one of the worst recruiting decisions the staff made. Weight issues, but ridiculously productive for Alabama, now a cog in the Baltimore Ravens D.
Lerentee McCray, LB, Florida - Middling player at Florida.

None of those player would have impacted our team... Well I did like Cody but he fell off after his junior year and does he even play for the Ravens? I liked Harper(respect him for going to Clemson because of his friend) but we have fans who complained about Berry and I thought he was more productive as a converted running back...

Advertisement
Back