Couch, Clarke, Dunson -- our CB future...

Yeah, and Dent has been horrendous.

-after next week we'll have a more balanced read of the cb's and secondary overall. Evaluating after Duke is as bad as drawing decisive conclusions post-Clem.
Agreed. UNC bring in considerably more talent at the WR position than Puke did. However, the guys were on their man like glue last night and tackled very well when asked to do so. Clarke, Couch, and Dunson would add a lot of depth if Blades and Ivey come back. Add in another CB via the Portal and a young pup in the 2021 class and suddenly the secondary isn’t as bad as people think.

Advertisement
Everyone always gets caught up with how many guys we’ve lost in Recruiting, but check this out

- Josh Jobe No INTs this year, only 1 in his 3 years at Bama

- Tyson Campbell: 1 INT in his 3 years at UGA

- Tyrique Stevenson: 0 INTs so far at UGA

- Akeem Dent - 0 INTs at FSU

DJ Ivey - 4 INTs at Miami

Al Blades - 4 INTs at Miami

Couch and Clarke each with a pick already in limited PT

The big misses were Asante Samuel Jr. Pat Surtain, and Chris Henderson
I think ints are important but for this to be a full picture could you do similar graphic with catches/yards allowed.

Advertisement
Love what limited reps I’ve seen from Clark and Dunson. We keep Blades, Ivey, and couch to go with youngsters we may be in alright shape next season.

and with Malik Curtis probably getting a look at corner, is our cornerback future better than we thought?

I know we're low on numbers but I do like what I see from the young guys.

Or am I looking at this through orange-and-green colored glasses

BTW, last night was the best tackling game Ive seen from Miami in a long time. Not just in terms of not missing tackles, but having guys run to the ball, take proper angles, surround the ball, leverage the ball carriers back into oncoming defenders and swarming. I get it, it's only Duke, but execution is execution.
And this is why I said the Duke game was important. Yes, they are bad. And YES, we destroyed a bad team like a good team should. That is growth, and that is what I have wanted to see since the FSU game.

I'm very proud of the performance I saw last night.

Advertisement
Everyone always gets caught up with how many guys we’ve lost in Recruiting, but check this out

Lol int starts at corner isnt end all be all. Byron Jones got paid 500 million dollars by the Dolphins and has 1 more career int than me.

Josh Jobe, Tyson Campbell, Stevenson would all be starters here...and guys like Couch and Clarke would be special teams work and taking shirts.

The big misses are all exept Dent who i never really liked. Campbell and those guys will be high draft picks ...which leads to recruiting wins. Its the reason UF is still grabbing db recruits and as sh*tty as FSU is can still beat us out recruiting dbs because they can point to high pick nfl guys. Who we pointing to Corn Elder? lol.

Our issue is sh*tty depth ...not overall talent. You can trip over college level dbs in south florida. You can suck at recruiting as much as Mike Rumph does and still have a respectable unit.

That being said Im a fan of those guys so far and love watching their development. Couch i knew what he would be just had the weight concern for me..i figured once he added some he would be so productive. He is a full year ahead of schedule.

Last edited:
Happy with the secondary last night, but we were blowing up the LOS and facing a QB who was comfortable throwing for about two yards. Next week will be a real test.

Advertisement

The reality is they were all big misses in terms of being locals and building depth at the position. Post analysis does make up for our many local recruiting misses over the years. Even this year is a code red for recruiting the CB position.

Advertisement
DJ has been solid, I think people got on the bandwagon of how bad he was, and that reputation, unfortunately, sticks with a guy regardless of the actual reality

Yeah giving up that touchdown the first game turned the fans on him.

Since we have let the corners play more physically, he has been much better and he has made some good tackles too.

He is a plus player in the room and helps on multiple fronts though he isn’t the speedy lock down guy we cover.

We need pure cover corners with high confidence awareness and ball skills and that's what couch is all about

Advertisement
Back