Couch, Clarke, Dunson -- our CB future...

k9cane

Senior
and with Malik Curtis probably getting a look at corner, is our cornerback future better than we thought?

I know we're low on numbers but I do like what I see from the young guys.

Or am I looking at this through orange-and-green colored glasses

BTW, last night was the best tackling game Ive seen from Miami in a long time. Not just in terms of not missing tackles, but having guys run to the ball, take proper angles, surround the ball, leverage the ball carriers back into oncoming defenders and swarming. I get it, it's only Duke, but execution is execution.

Advertisement
Good trio for sure, but we still need an alpha surefire field #1 IMO. That would take this group over the top. Let's hope they continue to develop and we need to continue to stack rushers to help them out. We knew Clarke was a superb athlete with ball skills, but he pulled the trigger with no hesitation last night when tackling the ball carrier. I love to see that. As much promise as those 3 have shown, we still need #7 and #8 back.

As for your 2nd point, yes. If the defense fills and tackles like that next week then we will win by double digits.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Agree with what everyone has said in this thread already. And it's also tough to call Couch our future when he's likely out of here after next season if he keeps playing like this.

Agree with what everyone has said in this thread already. And it's also tough to call Couch our future when he's likely out of here after next season if he keeps playing like this.

I didn't want to be the one to bring that up but you are absolutely correct lol.

Everyone always gets caught up with how many guys we’ve lost in Recruiting, but check this out

- Josh Jobe No INTs this year, only 1 in his 3 years at Bama

- Tyson Campbell: 1 INT in his 3 years at UGA

- Tyrique Stevenson: 0 INTs so far at UGA

- Akeem Dent - 0 INTs at FSU

DJ Ivey - 4 INTs at Miami

Al Blades - 4 INTs at Miami

Couch and Clarke each with a pick already in limited PT

The big misses were Asante Samuel Jr. Pat Surtain, and Chris Henderson

Advertisement
DJ has been solid, I think people got on the bandwagon of how bad he was, and that reputation, unfortunately, sticks with a guy regardless of the actual reality

DJ can lock guys down in Man coverage and is always in great position

He gets a bad rep cause he’s gotten confused in zone schemes a few times and given up bad TDs but 90% of the time he’s very very good

Excited to see him come back next year improve more and maybe get his NFL stock up

Everyone always gets caught up with how many guys we’ve lost in Recruiting, but check this out

- Josh Jobe No INTs this year, only 1 in his 3 years at Bama

- Tyson Campbell: 1 INT in his 3 years at UGA

- Tyrique Stevenson: 0 INTs so far at UGA

- Akeem Dent - 0 INTs at FSU

DJ Ivey - 4 INTs at Miami

Al Blades - 4 INTs at Miami

Couch and Clarke each with a pick already in limited PT

The big misses were Asante Samuel Jr. Pat Surtain, and Chris Henderson
wow

DJ has been solid, I think people got on the bandwagon of how bad he was, and that reputation, unfortunately, sticks with a guy regardless of the actual reality
I think his blunders were also just so apparent and memorable that they stick out. Like his busted coverage on the fake punt vs GT and him just standing there watching... I’ll never forget that. But he has turned a page these last couple of weeks and I hope it continues.

Advertisement
No doubt that we’ve missed on top talent. But we’ve also had some attrition the last few years. It makes a bad situation worse IMO. I’m still on the fire Rumph train and think we should be 3 deep at every secondary position, especially considering our local talent pool.

and with Malik Curtis probably getting a look at corner, is our cornerback future better than we thought?

I know we're low on numbers but I do like what I see from the young guys.

Or am I looking at this through orange-and-green colored glasses

BTW, last night was the best tackling game Ive seen from Miami in a long time. Not just in terms of not missing tackles, but having guys run to the ball, take proper angles, surround the ball, leverage the ball carriers back into oncoming defenders and swarming. I get it, it's only Duke, but execution is execution.

If you have LT and Maason Smith at DT, then our CBs may be good enough to win a national championship but I think we still need that #1 CB. We don't need four 5 star CBs, but I would feel a lot better if we had just one guy that could eliminate the opponents #1 WR. If you added that one dude, then I'd be happy with our situation at CB.

Advertisement
Back