Corn Elder

Took a Berrios injury for Folden to finally use him at PR. LOL at our special special teams' coach.

Not only that but I remember Alf was messing around in putting Burns back on KORs when he was clearly not equipped to handle them. He kept trotting Burns out there despite Elder almost housing one a week or so earlier. It was almost as if Elder was benched for a great return. Think it was his freshman year.

Maybe the return was supposed to go the other way and Elder free lanced. What I've noticed in 5 years of Golden is that there is no logic.

Advertisement
Elder probably didn't return punts his freshman season because we had Duke doing it.

Last season he was coming off a knee injury he suffered in the middle of his freshman year.

Golden probably didn't use him for that reason but I don't have the first f'n clue.

All I know is that we need more athletes/difference makers on both sides of the ball.

How does a school like UM smack dab in the middle of the most fertile recruiting hotbed in the world not have more than a few game changers if any?

Mr. Golden I salute you.

Elder probably didn't return punts his freshman season because we had Duke doing it.

Last season he was coming off a knee injury he suffered in the middle of his freshman year.

Golden probably didn't use him for that reason but I don't have the first f'n clue.

All I know is that we need more athletes/difference makers on both sides of the ball.

How does a school like UM smack dab in the middle of the most fertile recruiting hotbed in the world not have more than a few game changers if any?

Mr. Golden I salute you.

I think we have all been wondering the same thing. To answer your question it's because Golden truly doesn't know what he is doing. He has little to no ability to grasp the game on a conceptual level. To compensate, he operates from an extremely rigid set of parameters. This is why we see nothing in terms of adjustments. He doesn't know how. Most everything he does comes from a formula that he follows to the letter. That formula is most likely a combination of all the football clichés he has picked up over the years. He follows that formula/philosophy to the letter because again he is incapable of observing the flow of the game and altering his approach according to what is happening on the field. In his twisted mind, to deviate from the game plan would be like quitting or not staying the course. This is a big part of why he hates "freelancing" so much. To him it represents chaos and disorder.

Another major aspect of Golden's psyche is his pathological aversion to risk. Extreme risk aversion is the very foundation of the formula/philosophy he so dogmatically adheres to. Consequently he is naturally drawn to players that are willing to completely and mindlessly submit to his rigid fear based, play not to lose philosophy. I believe this explains much in terms of his bizarre lineup decisions(Crawford over Jenkins and Berrios over Elder). Inexplicable recruiting misses(Skai Moore, Quincy Wilson) and record setting attrition. I also believe this explains why under Golden there is little in terms of player leadership in the locker room and on the field. This is why Golden's teams always seem so timid and neutered on the field. Golden doesn't want Alpha dogs in his locker room. He wants subservient yes men or robots.

This is just pure speculation but I would be willing to bet that behind Golden's public facade is a passive aggressive insecure control freak who likes to play sadistic psychological mind games with certain players in order to break them. There is a saying that wherever you find unhappy and resentful underachievers, you will find horrible management and zero leadership. I believe the UM locker room has it's share of unhappy resentful underachievers.

Part of

Advertisement
Back