Corn Elder

From what I've seen corn looks a lot better than a. Crawford.

All the hype on Crawford came from practice last yr, he didn't impress me in actual games

The staff didn't need to play corn as early as they did, the fact that he earned is way up the depth chart and on the field as a true freshman says something about him. Also he just looks good at the position, no way he ever switches positions or gets moved to offense

Advertisement
Sit him. Gunter, Howard, Burns, and Crawford are enough. And behind them, you've still got Hope and Dortch.

Unless 1 of the 1st 4 get injured, I'd "shirt" him.

And the following year, he can battle Crawford for the nickle spot. No way he ever beats Howard or Burns for a starting spot.

Do you pay attention to what is going on, on the field? People are constantly running trips at minimum, if not 4 Wrs in the ACC. There is nothing that suggests that Crawford is better than Corn anyway. They are both capable players, and we need as many of those out there in rotation as possible.......

Yeah, I pay attention a little bit ...

How about you? What ACC schools play their 5th cornerback on a regular basis?

This ain't 7 on 7 ... Very few teams play man across against 4 wide sets. It limits you in base run support because it only leaves 5 in the box in a double high set. Even single high has you outnumber in the box, if the QB is mobile.

But to your other point ... If Elder is better than Crawford, then he should play. No argument from me. But if he's the 5th guy ... Based on the improved options at safety, I'd "shirt" him. And if he's the 5th guy for us a corner, how much of a "stud" can he be?

4 deep at corner is plenty. In nickle sets, there are typically only 3 corners. We rarely play dime ... And if we did, it's almost certain to be another safety, to assist in run support.

Advertisement
Sit him. Gunter, Howard, Burns, and Crawford are enough. And behind them, you've still got Hope and Dortch.

Unless 1 of the 1st 4 get injured, I'd "shirt" him.

And the following year, he can battle Crawford for the nickle spot. No way he ever beats Howard or Burns for a starting spot.

Do you pay attention to what is going on, on the field? People are constantly running trips at minimum, if not 4 Wrs in the ACC. There is nothing that suggests that Crawford is better than Corn anyway. They are both capable players, and we need as many of those out there in rotation as possible.......

Yeah, I pay attention a little bit ...

How about you? What ACC schools play their 5th cornerback on a regular basis?

This ain't 7 on 7 ... Very few teams play man across against 4 wide sets. It limits you in base run support because it only leaves 5 in the box in a double high set. Even single high has you outnumber in the box, if the QB is mobile.

But to your other point ... If Elder is better than Crawford, then he should play. No argument from me. But if he's the 5th guy ... Based on the improved options at safety, I'd "shirt" him. And if he's the 5th guy for us a corner, how much of a "stud" can he be?

4 deep at corner is plenty. In nickle sets, there are typically only 3 corners. We rarely play dime ... And if we did, it's almost certain to be another safety, to assist in run support.

It doesnt mean we will play man the whole time if we put in our Dime package. Im not saying you play your 5th corner on a regular basis, but with more teams playing out of 3,4 and 5 WR sets, plus the fact that players get dinged up during games you need the bodies. Not to mention that we do have safety depth issues, and might have moments where Gunter might be asked to slide over to S, it is important to have 5 CBs and your best ones ready to role. Plus once again, what kinda of retarded message are you sending kids, when a kid who was could enough on the field his true freshman year, is told he cant play the next year?????

There's zero chance he shirts so it's a waste of a topic. He's one of our top 4-5 cb's and is good on st's. He's going to play a lot.

IMO he's noticeably better than AC.

Advertisement
not only do i think elder gets some burn at DB this yr, I think both he and DC (along with Grace) will be studs on kick coverages.

I actually think STs (kicking not included) will be a strength if not THE strength of our team.

Advertisement
Corn needs to be the main return man, and used when needed on defense. No way should the ideal of red shirting him. Be in anyone's thought process.

Advertisement
Back