2023 Cormani McClain CB Commits to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which 4? It seems like most here always want to crown the incoming freshman, but they are freshman still the same and it doesn't happen all that often.

QB: TVD
RB: Parrish
WR: Young
WR: George
WR: X
TE: Arroyo
LT: Cohen
LG: Rivers
C: Clark
RG: Cooper
RT: Zion

LE: Mesidor
DT: Harrison-Hunte
DT: LT
RE: Harvey
LB: Mauigoa
LB: Bissainthe
Striker/Rover: Freshman?
CB: Brown
CB: Couch/Porter Jr
S: Kinchens
S: Williams
P: Joyce - Freshman

Aside from the punter I'm not seeing a sure fire starting freshman.

Starters
Okunlola @ LT
Mauigoa @ RT
McClain @ CB
Aguirre @ LB

Significant snaps
Bryant @ Rush LB
Bain on 3rd downs

Advertisement
Which 4? It seems like most here always want to crown the incoming freshman, but they are freshman still the same and it doesn't happen all that often.

I understand why you likely listed them out this way. That’s a scary lineup. We need a serious infusion at WR, DT, and CB. I suspect the OL will look different than what you have listed, too.

Is Zion actually coming back or is he going to go AWOL like last year/transfer?

I of all people shouldn't have to answer this.
If you think that Mario won't do something simple as promoting DVD to an on field position, to retain Cormani, then there's nothing left to be said, except the same regurgitation every day about the situation.
Just don't think Mario is the type of guy to promote a staff member just to appease a recruit that still may not end up signing. If Mario feels the staff has merit for the promotion that may be different. I think it's bad precedent to let your staffing decisions be based on the whims of an 18 year old's feelings no matter how talented.

I also understand that maybe Cormani was promised something was going to happen by Mario and it hasn't happened yet. I also don't think Mario is the type of guy to go back on his word. But there may be more to this dynamic than what people outside the program may know why it may not have happened. Perhaps there is a sense that some games are being played and Mario is waiting for a true commitment before following through? I have no idea.

Our LB situation is boo boo especially at MLB. Popo can 100% push for heavy minutes. Same as our CB situation, they fvckin suck. Cormani is an ultra talented prospect that if he doesn’t start it’s disappointing. CB is a position that underclassmen can get heavy heavy minutes at. Same goes for our WR situation at present, both Robbie and Ray Ray will push for heavy snaps if they are good enough. X is our best guy and he is solid but he is just that, solid. Lastly, not regarding the freshmen but Harvey ain’t it, Kelly will start over him.

Advertisement
As much as I sometimes think he’s gone, I always then wonder what school he’d go to and there is very little legit smoke to any school.

Deion hits him up but he’s never been to campus, NIL unless from a random rich Deion slurper would be non-existent.
while he isn't acting like a typical commit i.e. signing when given the chance to, he's also not acting like the typical decommit. It would be pretty easy to just decommit. It wouldn't take away from whatever excitement he wants to build for his doc. It wouldn't reduce the NIL offers he'd receive from competing schools. It wouldn't take away from his "moment" on 1/15 (if that's something he cared about). It really seems like he wants to stick with Miami, but something is delaying him doing so. The 1/15 announcement is bizarre unless he's just giving Miami a deadline. Resolve this issue or I'm going to decommit. That would make the most sense to me because setting a deadline gives him time to take visits if Miami is not able to resolve the issue.

Starters
Okunlola @ LT
Mauigoa @ RT
McClain @ CB
Aguirre @ LB

Significant snaps
Bryant @ Rush LB
Bain on 3rd downs

I'm not seeing it my friend. Yes Pancake and Mauigoa are phenomenal freshman to get and start building a great foundation for the future, but don't see them playing right away and they shouldn't. The line of scrimmage is the toughest spot to come in right away and start because it takes a good bit of S&C at the college level to be ready. I'm not counting McClain as I don't believe he's enrolling here.

We know the sure fire starters are the following

• Cohen
  • Rivers
  • Clark
  • Cooper

You don't believe Zion is going to be able to lock down that remaining position over those two incoming freshman? I'll give you Aguirre. Could be placed in the rover position. Excited about him also. Not seeing Bryant. He's going to have to get stronger in the weight room. Bain possible.

Starters
Okunlola @ LT
Mauigoa @ RT
McClain @ CB
Aguirre @ LB

Significant snaps
Bryant @ Rush LB
Bain on 3rd downs
So you think both of our starting OTs will be true freshmen (Zion loses his spot?) and Aguirre will start at LB over Bissainthe or Maiuoga?

62%, actually.

In the entire history of recruiting, how many kids have played out like this?

1. Commit to a school
2. Stay committed to that school to signing day
3. Shockingly choose not to sign on signing day
4. Ultimately wind up at this same school at the end of the day

I would say 0.01%. So sure, recruiting is fluid and literally anything is possible. But it'd be beyond an anomaly for him to actually enroll here.
How many kids of his stature commit to a school this late in the process they've never officially visited. That is what he would have to do. That certainly goes against precedent.

I guess news could drop any minute about him setting up OVs but until it does the lack of those has to be factored in. January 15th is arbitrary as ****. Besides possibly signing a grant-aid agreement and enrolling the next day in time for the semester there is nothing about the date that means anything. If he isn't graduating early the date makes no sense from the outside. It somewhat smells of the kid giving a Miami a date by which to figure out whatever complications kept him from signing in the first place.

Advertisement
I'm not seeing it my friend. Yes Pancake and Mauigoa are phenomenal freshman to get and start building a great foundation for the future, but don't see them playing right away and they shouldn't. The line of scrimmage is the toughest spot to come in right away and start because it takes a good bit of S&C at the college level to be ready. I'm not counting McClain as I don't believe he's enrolling here.

• Cohen
  • Rivers
  • Clark
  • Cooper

You don't believe Zion is going to be able to lock down that remaining position over those two incoming freshman? I'll give you Aguirre. Could be placed in the rover position. Excited about him also. Not seeing Bryant. He's going to have to get stronger in the weight room. Bain possible.
I would actually delete Clark and Cooper off your list as sure fire starters. They seem to be sniffing around for C help and while Clark is serviceable I think he can be pushed. Cooper I always saw as a 2 year project and he may still need time to develop. I could see a similar role for him as last year where he gets some burn. I agree Cohen and Rivers are in barring something crazy.

I understand why you likely listed them out this way. That’s a scary lineup. We need a serious infusion at WR, DT, and CB. I suspect the OL will look different than what you have listed, too.

Oh, I agree. That's why I'm hoping we get a little more aggressive in the portal. We need the following

2 WR's
2 DT's
2 CB's as Mani is not coming.

I don't agree with you on the OL unless Zion transfers out. Sure fire starters on OL are below as of now unless we get some additional transfers there as well.

• Cohen
  • Rivers
  • Clark
  • Cooper

• Cohen
  • Rivers
  • Clark
  • Cooper

I don’t think Clark will be a sure fire starter, I think we get another center in the portal. We need an upgrade there badly. In general I agree with you on freshmen along the OL but the opportunity even if it’s not ideal is there because the talent overall isn’t there. For instance, Cooper is going to be a player for us but I think he isn’t a forego e conclusion as a starter. He is just much better than what we had last year. It’s scary but if Cooper could flash as freshman, what do we think someone like Mauigoa will look like?

Advertisement
I of all people shouldn't have to answer this.
If you think that Mario won't do something simple as promoting DVD to an on field position, to retain Cormani, then there's nothing left to be said, except the same regurgitation every day about the situation.
were still waiting on him to fire Gattis.

I would actually delete Clark and Cooper off your list as sure fire starters. They seem to be sniffing around for C help and while Clark is serviceable I think he can be pushed. Cooper I always saw as a 2 year project and he may still need time to develop. I could see a similar role for him as last year where he gets some burn. I agree Cohen and Rivers are in barring something crazy.

Until we get a transfer for Clark he's our C. He's the best of the worst that we have currently on the roster. Look at it as the Corey Flagg situation. Cooper was probably our best lineman the last few games last year. Who's replacing him?

Advertisement
Until we get a transfer for Clark he's our C. He's the best of the worst that we have currently on the roster. Look at it as the Corey Flagg situation. Cooper was probably our best lineman the last few games last year. Who's replacing him?
That’s fair on Clark. In terms of Cooper he is a guard and while I think it’s likely he is a starter, he is not a sure fire starter like Rivers and Cohen, who I think may just end up our two starting Guards.

I don’t think Clark will be a sure fire starter, I think we get another center in the portal. We need an upgrade there badly. In general I agree with you on freshmen along the OL but the opportunity even if it’s not ideal is there because the talent overall isn’t there. For instance, Cooper is going to be a player for us but I think he isn’t a forego e conclusion as a starter. He is just much better than what we had last year. It’s scary but if Cooper could flash as freshman, what do we think someone like Mauigoa will look like?

I hope your right. However, Clark is the Corey Flagg of the offensive line. Until a center from the portal actually signs here than he's our guy. He actually wasn't playing terrible until he hurt his ankle early in the year. Just because Cooper flashed as a freshman doesn't guarantee Mauigoa is going to do the same. Cooper was our best lineman the last few games of the year and we actually have decent coaches that develop that position now. I feel more confident in saying Cooper will be there over Mauigoa as we've actually seen Cooper in college action.

That’s fair on Clark. In terms of Cooper he is a guard and while I think it’s likely he is a starter, he is not a sure fire starter like Rivers and Cohen, who I think may just end up our two starting Guards.

Mario and Mirabal have showed they'll tend to play the best five. They experimented with Rivers out at tackle as well some last year. I possible not hitting every position on the money, but I see the first four/five being the guys I listed.

• Cohen
  • Rivers
  • Clark
  • Cooper

I don't get the they shouldn't play right away thought. Freshmen All-American teams don't have N/A for the tackle positions. Somebody somewhere is playing as a freshman at that position. Both LSU and Texas started true freshman from Day 1 and neither was as highly rated as Francis or Samson. I don't know that Cohen is a better tackle and maybe he takes a guard spot from Rivers who can't stay healthy or Cooper. Nobody was so good last year that two elite 5-star tackles shouldn't have their say on what that line looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back