Contract Extension signed -

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't know. Golden looks promising but I think we should pay for performance, and he hasn't dOne anything to warrant an extension.

I don't know. Golden looks promising but I think we should pay for performance, and he hasn't dOne anything to warrant an extension.

It's a gamble. If you don't and he leaves, what are the chances we get someone decent with sanctions looming and this pile of **** that Randy left behind?

Advertisement
Was absolutely the right call. Did anyone happen to see what the Vegas odds were for PSUs new coach? AG was just below Meyer. THis man is very highly thought of in coaching circles. This program needs stability and a very organized, energetic and competent coach. We havent had that in a decade here.

Its great to talk all this bull**** about "pay for performance" but we are a team that has sucked balls for 6-7 years now, have a weak fan base, are facing sanctions with the NCAA... and werent exactly "Stacked" talent wise thanks to the last clown show staff we had. The last thing we needed was for the "Golden to Penn State" bull**** to destroy another recruiting class.

Good post.

Was absolutely the right call. Did anyone happen to see what the Vegas odds were for PSUs new coach? AG was just below Meyer. THis man is very highly thought of in coaching circles. This program needs stability and a very organized, energetic and competent coach. We havent had that in a decade here.

Its great to talk all this bull**** about "pay for performance" but we are a team that has sucked balls for 6-7 years now, have a weak fan base, are facing sanctions with the NCAA... and werent exactly "Stacked" talent wise thanks to the last clown show staff we had. The last thing we needed was for the "Golden to Penn State" bull**** to destroy another recruiting class.

+1 good points

Good post.

He needed some sort of raise or show of faith in staying. He did his part the other day by stating in the ACC Conference Call that he was staying, now the school needed to show they are committed to this guy for X amount of time and show him they are giving him the resources to do his job despite the circumstance he wasn't told about prior to taking this job. You can't have your head coach at a time like this be the talk of job openings around the country...not just the Penn State job, but any job. Its not good for recruiting and it is not good for PR. Having the media compare and contrast your school with that of a school that harbored and turned a blind eye to a pedophile and the media saying that the school harboring a pedophile is a better job for the guy is never good PR for a school that is living off branding right now.

Golden didn't do anything on the field to warrant an extension or raise...but there were outside factors that made this kind of move necessary.

Advertisement

And how does an extension prevent Golden from leaving? He had 4 years left on his contract so the only people who would buy into an extension preventing him from leaving are the same simple minded dolts that are killing Miami on the field now. If a recruit has more than 2 brain cells he already understands this and if he doesn't then he is too stupid to be worth a **** anyway.

As several have already mentioned, under normal circumstances I don't believe Golden gets an extension just yet. The other thing to take into account is the details of the contract; certainly both sides have buyouts and clauses that protect them. Remember last year when everyone was ****ed Shannon got the extension, well UM was smart and left themselves a reasonable buyout (unlike the extension with Coker). Now certainly Golden had more leverage than Shannon, but I am sure the admin, as well as Golden, put some things in their to protect themselves.

Besides, there's no way that the contract he just signed is going to be the same in say 2018; one of these scenarios will almost certainly play out:

- if he's still our coach in 2018, it means he has probably done pretty well and we will have given him another new contract
- He didnt pan out and we fired him in which case it will all depend on our buyout
- He did pan out well and left us for another college or NFL team in which case there may be a buyout that he/the other team owe to us.

Without knowing the full details of contract, it's hard to say how great or how bad of a deal it was for either side.

The one thing that does scare me is the length of the deal. If they had just reupped him at a higher salary I would have assumed it was b/c of him threatening to leave and that was it, but with the timeline out to 2020, it has me afraid that they are afraid that the sanctions are going to be big. Of course, as I said before, it all depends on the details of the contract.

And how does an extension prevent Golden from leaving? He had 4 years left on his contract so the only people who would buy into an extension preventing him from leaving are the same simple minded dolts that are killing Miami on the field now. If a recruit has more than 2 brain cells he already understands this and if he doesn't then he is too stupid to be worth a **** anyway.

Really? Obviously he could still leave at any time, but us offering and him accepting the extension is a way of showing that both sides are committed to rebuilding this program with the system that has been put into place. Even though it doesn't prevent him from leaving, I'm sure you're going to hear a LOT less Golden to PSU talk, and that's exactly what we need as we head towards signing day.

Advertisement

Really? Obviously he could still leave at any time, but us offering and him accepting the extension is a way of showing that both sides are committed to rebuilding this program with the system that has been put into place. Even though it doesn't prevent him from leaving, I'm sure you're going to hear a LOT less Golden to PSU talk, and that's exactly what we need as we head towards signing day.

I am also sure that part of a such a long term deal means that there is a significant buyout on Golden's end if he were to leave this year.

The extension was huge for recruiting. He got it because of the pending sanctions and the fact that he wasn't informed when he was originally hired. But anyone who doesn't think he's the right guy is full of it IMO.

The extension was huge for recruiting. He got it because of the pending sanctions and the fact that he wasn't informed when he was originally hired. But anyone who doesn't think he's the right guy is full of it IMO.

It is not huge for recruiting, he has told every recruit that he isn't going anywhere and an extension does not prevent him from leaving. The only thing that ends any specualtion is Penn St. hiring a coach that isn't Golden.

It is not huge for recruiting, he has told every recruit that he isn't going anywhere and an extension does not prevent him from leaving. The only thing that ends any specualtion is Penn St. hiring a coach that isn't Golden.

It does make a big difference as (like I said a little earlier) there is almost certainly a huge buyout on his end if he were to leave this year. I know people think other schools can just throw around money, but not many teams are willing to throw around several hundred thousand dollars just to then be able to pay the coach several million dollars.

Advertisement
Back