Consigliere

Advertisement
Okay? Just admit that your entire understanding and subsequent diagnosis of this matter was way off - and move along.

I want to read the NCAA's statement.

I want to know why VJ King and Lamar Peters are playing.

I want to know which bylaw was broken because Dewan never took money. Even according to the ruling.

I want to read the NCAA's statement.

I want to know why VJ King and Lamar Peters are playing.

I want to know which bylaw was broken because Dewan never took money. Even according to the ruling.
All good questions and requests. I don't think you have to actually take $$ in a case like this, though, to be declared ineligible.

Should never had sat him out. Let the NCAA come out and rule him ineligible
They did.....
All good questions and requests. I don't think you have to actually take $$ in a case like this, though, to be declared ineligible.
You violate the NCAA’s rule of amateurism when you sign a contract that has anything to do with why you were given a scholarship. Chad Thomas was allowed to sell beats with accompanying agreements, and he could have even signed a record deal.

Advertisement
There is one final appeal Hernandez can make, but he may choose to turn pro immediately, and play overseas or prepare for the NBA draft.

They did.....

You violate the NCAA’s rule of amateurism when you sign a contract that has anything to do with why you were given a scholarship. Chad Thomas was allowed to sell beats with accompanying agreements, and he could have even signed a record deal.
We sent in a request to the NCAA to review his eligibility. If we don't do that, I doubt there is a ruling.

We sent in a request to the NCAA to review his eligibility. If we don't do that, I doubt there is a ruling.
That's a good point, CT. All I can think of is UM must have seen or heard something that made them feel they HAD to go this route. If that was the case and they didn't ask the NCAA for a ruling ... maybe they feared some stiffer penalty to the program itself.

That's a good point, CT. All I can think of is UM must have seen or heard something that made them feel they HAD to go this route. If that was the case and they didn't ask the NCAA for a ruling ... maybe they feared some stiffer penalty to the program itself.
It goes back to why the other schools didn't do the same thing?

Advertisement
It goes back to why the other schools didn't do the same thing?
It's likely in all 3 cases the students were called in to Compliance and asked something like "what's the story here?" - We don't know of course, but if the others said "no idea what they are referring to" but Dewan said "well, I guess it was like an offer but because it was to my cousin I didn't think I needed to report it" … just that subtle a difference could account for it.

Pure speculation and flawed reasoning. What is more likely is that the NCAA received the evidence of wrongdoing first and subsequently informed miami. If you think Miami would voluntarily rat itself out and sit their best player - I don’t know what to say to you.

Pure speculation and flawed reasoning. What is more likely is that the NCAA received the evidence of wrongdoing first and subsequently informed miami. If you think Miami would voluntarily rat itself out and sit their best player - I don’t know what to say to you.
Dude it came up in FBI investigation. If you dont know the facts than don't post.

Advertisement

So you’re saying before today the NCAA declared Dewan ineligible?

Advertisement
Selected evidence (including FBI tapes and transcripts) was held for trial. Some is still being held for other trials (or pleadings) that are slated.

After which, that no longer held was released to "interested parties", which included the NCAA.

A communication with the "look of" some intended agreement between a student athlete and an agent might be of no criminal interest, but due to non-reporting or other NCAA guidelines, becomes the subject of further internal investigation, to say the least.

(edit: when one is the subject of "further internal investigation" - and especially if that is shared with the university compliance department - it is not a stretch to imagine that while "ineligibility" may not be officially declared, discretion is the better part of valor, and certainly reasonable with UM's history.)

An “eligibility appeal” would infer that....
What I believe happened:

Miami gets word of an impending NCAA investigation and doesn’t have a good feeling about the outcome so they sit Dewan until its completed. Perhaps an “eligibility appeal” is a term for such a review - I don’t know, I’m not an expert on NCAA bylaws.

What I believe happened:

Miami gets word of an impending NCAA investigation and doesn’t have a good feeling about the outcome so they sit Dewan until its completed. Perhaps an “eligibility appeal” is a term for such a review - I don’t know, I’m not an expert on NCAA bylaws.

So he wasn’t ineligible until today.

1. Do you remember DeQuan Jones? Was he declared ineligible by the NCAA?

2. Now that the NCAA went and declared Dewan ineligible today, do you expect anything to happen with VJ King or Lamar Peters?

We lost our entire 2019 recruiting class (including one 5 star) over this bull**** FBI business. Meanwhile, all of the programs that actually had someone arrested are humming along again, pulling in top-ranked classes as if nothing ever happened.

When are we going to call the NCAA what it really is: an ongoing fraudulent criminal enterprise, and sue them for violations of civil RICO statutes?

Advertisement
Back