Congrats Gregory Rousseau

In my opinion, you have Smith and White, then everyone else. With all due respect to Deacon Jones, I don’t think it’s close. And Howie Long isn’t in that sentence.

I’m also forgetting guys like Willie Davis, Gino Marchetti, and Doug Atkins from the 60s. I prefer to compare how players dominated in their own era. Sacks weren’t an official statistic until the late 70s or early 80s. Team threw less in past eras. Of course, blocking rules were different too.
Davis unofficially had over 100, maybe over 120 sacks in 10 seasons, fewer games per season.

Advertisement
Congrats to Greg for getting back on those rocks.. 1st round and I'm proud of his skinny ***.

I’m also forgetting guys like Willie Davis, Gino Marchetti, and Doug Atkins from the 60s. I prefer to compare how players dominated in their own era. Sacks weren’t an official statistic until the late 70s or early 80s. Team threw less in past eras. Of course, blocking rules were different too.
Davis unofficially had over 100, maybe over 120 sacks in 10 seasons, fewer games per season.
Compare whatever you want. Imo Smith and White are the standard setters at DE.

It’s always hard to compare across generations, but less hard at DE than a lot of other positions, imo. Most positions have more recent guys you’d put at the top. We’re arguing about guys who played in the ‘80s. Easier to compare back with perspective.

I’d say there are relatively recent guys at CB, S, LB, DT, OL, WR and QB who are in the goat discussion. The two positions most dominated by old timers are DE and RB. And honestly, more DE than RB. Peterson, Tomlinson are recent. And a lot of greats played between ‘90 - ‘05. Sanders, Smith, Faulk, e.g. At DE, maybe Watt is in the discussion, Strahan and Peppers hovering near it. Probably more old retired guys in he top 20 at DL than anywhere else.

Compare whatever you want. Imo Smith and White are the standard setters at DE.

It’s always hard to compare across generations, but less hard at DE than a lot of other positions, imo. Most positions have more recent guys you’d put at the top. We’re arguing about guys who played in the ‘80s. Easier to compare back with perspective.

I’d say there are relatively recent guys at CB, S, LB, DT, OL, WR and QB who are in the goat discussion. The two positions most dominated by old timers are DE and RB. And honestly, more DE than RB. Peterson, Tomlinson are recent. And a lot of greats played between ‘90 - ‘05. Sanders, Smith, Faulk, e.g. At DE, maybe Watt is in the discussion, Strahan and Peppers hovering near it. Probably more old retired guys in he top 20 at DL than anywhere else.
Comparisons across eras aren’t relevant to me. Of course, with advances in training and nutrition athletes are bigger and faster today, but I don’t care. Rules today are also different. More games are played per season. I can only appreciate how dominant a player was in his era.

The rest is just hopefully fun conversation.

Comparisons across eras aren’t relevant to me. Of course, with advances in training and nutrition athletes are bigger and faster today, but I don’t care. Rules today are also different. More games are played per season. I can only appreciate how dominant a player was in his era.

The rest is just hopefully fun conversation.
I understand that logic. Still have never seen a better DE than peak Bruce Smith. And White owns the career benchmark.

Advertisement
One thing that isn’t talked about bough after looking at him in this video,
Dude is a baby. And when I say baby I mean he’s so **** young and really hasn’t played the position that long.
I really hope the bills have the patience and awareness that they are potentially siting on a very very special player and have the coaching and strength staff to maximize what he can turn into.

Advertisement
Dude is a baby. And when I say baby I mean he’s so **** young and really hasn’t played the position that long.
I really hope the bills have the patience and awareness that they are potentially siting on a very very special player and have the coaching and strength staff to maximize what he can turn into.
Agreed. And I think they fully get what they have and drafted. GR50 is going to be lights out in 2-3yrs after he learns the playbook and immerses himself into being a pro in the league. Kid is going to excel, just as is Jaelen as well.

Agreeing here 100%, but the Bills aren’t taking him where they did unless they understood EXACTLY what you’re saying. His tape was not the best tape ever, he only played 1 year, and his pro day was just OK. What got him picked is that the ceiling is just insanely high, for just the reasons you mentioned. He’s such a baby, he’s got so little wear on his body, he’s so limited in his experience, and he’s so incredibly gigantic. I think the Bills are a perfect spot for him. It’s a REALLY good defensive staff and this team is already awesome. Nobody is going to expect him to come in right away and change the trajectory of the franchise. They’re going to allow him to grow and learn. This is purely a potential, long-term pick. I wouldn’t even be shocked if he doesn’t play a ton this year. The Bills picked him for what he can be 5 years from now, which is a completely freaky octopus on the edge.

He speaks really well but still seems like a kid in a candy store.... LOL to the shorts and Tshirt. Most of the other 1st rounders showed up to their first meeting in a suit...

Advertisement
Agreed. And I think they fully get what they have and drafted. GR50 is going to be lights out in 2-3yrs after he learns the playbook and immerses himself into being a pro in the league. Kid is going to excel, just as is Jaelen as well.
I can't wait to laugh at all the teams (Except my Phins) that passed him up.

Agreeing here 100%, but the Bills aren’t taking him where they did unless they understood EXACTLY what you’re saying. His tape was not the best tape ever, he only played 1 year, and his pro day was just OK. What got him picked is that the ceiling is just insanely high, for just the reasons you mentioned. He’s such a baby, he’s got so little wear on his body, he’s so limited in his experience, and he’s so incredibly gigantic. I think the Bills are a perfect spot for him. It’s a REALLY good defensive staff and this team is already awesome. Nobody is going to expect him to come in right away and change the trajectory of the franchise. They’re going to allow him to grow and learn. This is purely a potential, long-term pick. I wouldn’t even be shocked if he doesn’t play a ton this year. The Bills picked him for what he can be 5 years from now, which is a completely freaky octopus on the edge.
It doesn't hurt that Bruce Smith has decided to work with him 1on1 either. :)

God I hate Buffalo so dam much but 'll be rooting for GR every game except the 2 against my Phins.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back