Confirmed by Barry, the bot and admin do not care.

This is what they’ve done. Each successive coach has been paid more appropriately. The facilities are good. Theres not much to complain about from the admin perspective, as long as we understand that they can’t throw top 5 money at football.

The issue now is that they’re paying for 3 staffs. That rate of turnover isn’t sustainable.
3? Richt retired without a buyout. His offensive staff was let go, but that was three years ago. Enos might have a had a severance.

And I don’t believe Manny is paid more than Richt ($4M).

Advertisement
These "who should be the next coach" discussions are largely pointless to me, but I'll just keep being a broken record and tell you to hire Hugh Freeze with Art Briles at OC. Proven. Can win anywhere.
Would be great but the BOT will not even waste time with a phone call...
Also...if we did hire them, we would be on probation for 3 years a few years later....NCAA would hire extra agents just as we would have the press conference announcement

Advertisement
Miami had 49 million in expenses in the 2019/2020 season for the athletic department, iirc. Was written in an article that listed these numbers for all power of 5 colleges.

I dont know where that money goes, but it had to go somewhere.

If we happen to sign a new HC, the bottomline is the contract Bryan Harsin got with Auburn.

They pay him around 5.25 million APY. A Bill Clark certainly would try to get that.

I remember that comment. He should have repeated it a few times. IIRC, saying something twice is evidence to the NCAA.
It's only evidence when it comes to burying Miami. They had a dude that probably knew who in the SEC was dirty, because he was a competitor, and they didn't even ask a follow up question. We know why. We know why the NCAA never asked questions when those allegations at Okie State came up, because if they kept digging, they would have gotten OU, they would have gotten Texas, they would have started to get dirt on the SEC and they can't have that. It's a big club, and we'll never be in it.

He's most likely a young dude who doesn't even know Mario was a coach here under Coker and was by far the best recruiter on that staff.Mario was the one landing all those 5* and high 4* out of Texas back then.
I'm old enough to remember that the Texas recruiting connection existed before Mario even enrolled at Miami. Miami has been strong in my home state since Jimmy, who grew up in the state and always recruited heavily there. Erickson kept that pipeline alive(although he failed to maximize the talent that came through), and Butch, due to his relationship with Jimmy emphasized it. Mario wasn't breaking new ground, he was merely tending a garden that had been kept for the better part of two decades. It's not an accident that once Mario went to Rutgers, he magically stopped hitting those areas, because he didn't have an in anymore. He was able to use his local South Florida ties to recruit second and third tier guys to Rutgers, who were significant upgrades over what they had previously. He lost a lot of that "Master Recruiter" mojo, that is until he brought his *** to Alabama, after being a so so recruiter his second go around at Miami(I'm not going to blame him for failing at FIU, no one is going to recruit high end talent to that place).

"Recruiting" is more a money game than ever before, more so than being a good salesman. You really think the guys at Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are really selling these guys? No, they recognize a talent they want, do their research and then make an offer if that kid wants to be recruited that way, which most elite talents do because they know full well what they are worth.

Advertisement
If we happen to sign a new HC, the bottomline is the contract Bryan Harsin got with Auburn.

They pay him around 5.25 million APY. A Bill Clark certainly would try to get that.
I wouldn't have a problem with paying Bill that, but how much can the school commit to putting a high end staff around him? That's the problem. If you don't put a good staff around these guys, and allow them to just bring their midmajor buddies, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I've said it once and I'll say it again: The only way this school makes that commitment is if they know that money eventually comes back. As we've seen time and time again, this fanbase won't pony up(The magical booster that was willing to pay for Mario is a myth). Maybe Adidas helps make it possible, maybe an increased TV deal helps, but Miami has to not only get the HC, they have to have the staff around them as well. That can cost you anywhere from another 5-10 million, especially if you install the infrastructure staff, the analyst staff and you have to pay them.

JJ wasn't JJ when he arrived. Butch wasn’t Butch. Etc.

We lost the guy who could spot the next great coach.

That’s the ongoing problem. Started with the freaking kids picking Coker.

JJ wasn't JJ when he arrived. Butch wasn’t Butch. Etc.

We lost the guy who could spot the next great coach.

That’s the ongoing problem. Started with the freaking kids picking Coker.
The guy that hired JJ and the guy that hired Butch were two different people. The guy that hired Butch and the guy that hired Coker and Shannon were the same guy. Frankly, Dee got lucky with Butch, everyone else turned down the job. Then again, I think Lubick would have been a **** good hire.

Advertisement
Again, at a school with immense resources. Not an accident that the guys that look great as recruiters are at places that not only have immense resources, but have the ability to fully leverage said resources without fear of exposure. Keep in mind, the same guy that said that he was paying for abortions on behalf of Miami student athletes ADMITTED that he tried to purchase talent, but was always outbid by the SEC. No one even bothered to ask a follow up question.

Sir:

I don't care that we're not willing to pay upwards of 7, 8, 9 million dollars because truthfully there's less than a handful of coaches that warrant that type of salary. My problem is the pure incompetence that our BOT chooses to ignore.

Richt wrote this program a golden ticket by retiring and not asking for additional money after his last year. What does James do? He turns around pays Temple a buyout to bring Diaz back without even interviewing any other coaching candidates. That is program negligence.

Then Diaz turns around and loses to FIU, Duke and Louisiana Tech in the same season. That is unacceptable at a program that actually cares to win. Even in a probation year that is unacceptable. Instead of Diaz is allowed to continue his mediocre (at best) coaching tenure.

We're not going to outbid any big school for their coach. Our best hope is whenever James is fired, the new AD falls into a good, up and coming coach from a Group of 5 school, who we can pay a modest salary before a school that actually cares about winning poaches him.

Advertisement
19 pages of the same crap. We get it. Miami BOT sucks, AD sucks and Manny sucks. Do we all agree? End of thread.

This is what they’ve done. Each successive coach has been paid more appropriately. The facilities are good. Theres not much to complain about from the admin perspective, as long as we understand that they can’t throw top 5 money at football.

The issue now is that they’re paying for 3 staffs. That rate of turnover isn’t sustainable.
They aren't really paying for three staffs though. Richt left without a buyout, and most of his assistants were on short term deals. Golden's stuff should be coming off the books soon, if it hasn't already, same with Shannon. Let's be honest: Richt tried to do us a solid and Blake James failed miserably. Miami doesn't have to pay 6 million per year to be competent. Most of us just want a watchable, compelling product. The adults in the room realizes that unless the NCAA starts enforcing the rules or creates parity by legislation, it's borderline impossible for Miami to consistently compete with the elites. That said, Miami can be competent, can be what Notre Dame is right now. Bill Clark, Willie Fritz, any competent, detail orientated coach could produce that. Miami hired Manny Diaz instead. That's why a lot of us were ****ed when he was announced. We knew that Blake James had managed to botch the hiring process.

Last edited:
Sir what? Georgia brings in almost 200 million dollars, and that's not even including the dark money around that program. They have the infrastructure needed to move that money around to talent. No one said that merely having money meant you would win, Texas is inefficient at how they spend, but having money puts a program at a significant advantage. Just because there are exceptions to the rule, doesn't make it less applicable. There are people who get shot in the head with a nail gun, and live to tell about it and are perfectly fine. Would you be willing to let me shoot at you with said nail gun? Probably not, because you realize that the odds of you living after I did something like that aren't good. Having that revenue and the ability to pay people without fear of getting exposed puts you in a better position to win than a program that even if they find a legit coach can't get the top end talent needed to consistently beat the schools that make more revenue in one season, than they do in 4.

Sir what? Georgia brings in almost 200 million dollars, and that's not even including the dark money around that program. They have the infrastructure needed to move that money around to talent. No one said that merely having money meant you would win, Texas is inefficient at how they spend, but having money puts a program at a significant advantage. Just because there are exceptions to the rule, doesn't make it less applicable. There are people who get shot in the head with a nail gun, and live to tell about it and are perfectly fine. Would you be willing to let me shoot at you with said nail gun? Probably not, because you realize that the odds of you living after I did something like that aren't good. Having that revenue and the ability to pay people without fear of getting exposed puts you in a better position to win than a program that even if they find a legit coach can't get the top end talent needed to consistently beat the schools that make more revenue in one season, than they do in 4.

Maybe I misread ur post; but it sounded like u were saying UGA didn’t have the same type of resources as Oregon. If that’s not what u were stating, I apologize.

Advertisement
Back