Confirmed by Barry, the bot and admin do not care.

Lol no way Miami will ever hire a big name established coach. Mark Richt was the biggest we could land. This place doesn't want to win. There are coaches we could have had on the cheap who would be successful here and we passed because they didn't "fit" what Miami wants as a HC.

Advertisement
Some things we wouldn’t have to worry about with Mario is recruiting and his staff. He would have brought a great staff here and I remember dsd talking about the names he heard.

He was the guy and they were ready to pay his buyout until Flake slithered in.

Last edited:
I don’t think Jimbo would have any interest coaching Miami. From money he’s getting paid to program funny money.

The thing is, if our clueless inept administration WANTED TO, they could pay him his annual number without a problem. What we CAN'T give him, is the facilities he wants. I honestly think Jimbo would overlook that because he, of all people, knows the built in inherent geographical recruiting advantage a school like Miami has in THE most fertile recruiting ground in the country. The issue is, he'd need a school where the higher ups would SUPPORT him and let him do whatever it takes to win.....and that's where Miami simply wouldn't even entertain the thought.

Lou Saban was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills before taking the Miami job. Then he pushed a ****** kid in to a fountain or some **** and got fired.

We hired Schelly, who was the OC for the undefeated super bowl champ Dolphins, and before that was OC at Alabama under Bear Bryant.

Yeah…we used to try
I could be wrong but wasn't Lou Saban a .500 coach? And technically he was the AD at Cincy after he quit the Bills. Schelly was the OC for the Fins, but by no means was he considered a "big time" coach or was a hot candidate prior to coming here. Point is, neither guy was a hot commodity before coming here. To my knowledge, in spite of its past success, Miami has NEVER been known to go out to drop heavy bags for a big name coach.

Young up starts (Jimmy) or veteran after thoughts (Schelly & Butch) at bargain prices is what brought us success.

Advertisement
I hate quoting Barry but he drops quite the bomb. The bot and admin simply don't care.

2) Find a special coach who can lead this program from Top 15-to-25 caliber to something far greater.

I view that as unlikely.

UM’s Board of Trustees isn’t motivated to spend $10 million a year for an elite coach with championship pedigree. And even if the Hurricanes could land, say, a Jimbo Fisher, there’s no assurance he could make the Canes elite again.

The sense here is that the administration will stick with Manny Diaz - who’s in year three of a five-year deal - if he wins in the range of nine games a year and keeps UM generally in the top 25, regardless of whether the gap is closed with Alabama or not.

As one Board of Trustee member said, though some members have higher standards than simply being a borderline Top 20 program, president Julio Frenk isn’t a big sports fan and there’s little motivation internally to keep changing coaches until they find one to build UM back to top-five-in-the-country status.

Perhaps that view changes once a coach reaches the end of his contract; if Diaz goesn’t get an extension after year 3 or 4, that would be telling.

The Hurricanes simply aren’t going to spend the money on an Urban Meyer-type unless there’s a dramatic change in philosophy.

Its over boys.
Ya’ll gonna let Barry “Hates U” Jackson ruffle your feathers with an article that could’ve been written since 2006?

I will not tell ya’ll to relax but I will say don’t let this POS get ya’ll triggered.

Not sure I’m sold that Mario is anything more than a really rich man's (Nike 💰) Manny…and if he is we’d be ****ed again
I don’t think he’s a great coach , i’ve had my anti Mario rants but over time I’ve came around to it some. Miami was built on toughness , physicality and playing fast. We’ve lacked this for fifteen years , mix that in the type of staff we could hire and upgrade in recruiting it could be big. Also he’d have more backing with some of our boosters.

We’ll never be what we were but with Mario I don’t see us getting smacked in the mouths physically 2-3 times a year.

He does have resources at Oregon but he’s also a great recruiter, he’s the definition of a savage on the trail.

Advertisement
L-O-L

Umm, how many coaches r paid $10m/yr?? Lol.

So let me get this str8,

Our AD was approved to spend $7m to retain a guy who’s never coached a day in his life, but they are uncomfortable paying $10m for an elite HC?

Furthermore, as stated, u don’t need to spend $10m; u can get an ACC Championship Caliber coach between the $4 - $5m range.

Didn’t even realize that Diaz was awarded a 5 yr contract. Bro, should’ve been given a 4 yr deal like Shannon.

Are we sure his daddy’s relationship w/ a couple of key BOT members ain’t influencing this?

The only way we hire an alpha head coach with the current Hecht mafia is if we hire a beta who suddenly turns savage after year one....
The current crowd will never get a hard *** like Saban or Butch.

I'm confused why this is a bad thing.

If Diaz wins 9-10 games and has us in the Top 20 isn't that continual improvement? Some of you seem to want a quantum leap just because we have a U on the side of our helmets.
Exactly! Give me 2-3 consecutive 10 wins seasons and build up those recruiting classes and then we can start taking next steps.

Advertisement
L-O-L

So let me get this str8,

Our AD was approved to spend $7m to retain a guy who’s never coached a day in his life, but they are uncomfortable paying $10m for an elite HC?

Furthermore, as stated, u don’t need to spend $10m; u can get an ACC Championship Caliber coach between the $4 - $5m range.

Didn’t even realize that Diaz was awarded a 5 yr contract. Bro, should’ve been given a 4 yr deal like Shannon.

Are we sure his daddy’s relationship w/ a couple of key BOT members ain’t influencing this?

We discussed it in another thread yesterday, but daddy's relationships 100% helped him get the job.

The ONLY way we could be relevant is with playoff expansion and a few very lucky seasons under a better staph to get us in the 10-12 range and again with luck parlay that into more success and money. We won’t ever compete with oil money

I posted in another thread that even if the CFP expansion was around for when we joined the ACC, we would’ve made the CFP in only 2 yrs (2004 & 2017).

People in this thread don't understand, that as a private university it's entire athletic budget is being financed by either revenue or private capital. It can't make further investments in football, without diminishing margins further. No business would do that. The 1st objective is to preserve the bottom line

Advertisement
L-O-L

So let me get this str8,

My exact concern with the Mario BOT discussion….

Aren’t we against the lazy, easy, know someone hire???

Advertisement
Back