MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

It is significantly more than that ... they are asking the COURT to review the ESPN media agreement and it's language, and how IT defines the ACC GOR. If the court does review the two separate documents, and concludes that the ESPN media agreement DOES STATE that the GOR is in effect ONLY WHILE A MEMBER INSTITUTION REMAINS A CONFERENCE MEMBER .... then it is confirmed that any school that leaves the ACC leaves with all future media rights in tact, no buyback is necessary from anyone. Any school can leave, having only the ACC exit fee to deal with, and that has proven to be a negotiable item in the past.

It is entirely possible that the ESPN Media Agreement does NOT define the GOR. But it is very probable that it does not NEED to do so, and that FSU/Clemson will win anyhow.

First, the ESPN Media Agreement was, as far as I know, negotiated and agreed-upon first. Now, it is entirely possible that the "as long as the institution remains a member" was language that was added LATER, but it seems very unlikely. That type of language seems like it was always a part of every ESPN-conference Media Rights Agreement. And because ESPN "insisted" on the ACC creating a GOR, it is highly probable that the GOR was drafted AFTER the Media Rights Agreement (and I have already discussed why the GOR was truly unnecessary to enter into a Media Rights Agreement).

Second, each contract has to stand alone, but you can infer meaning and context even if the contract is silent as to the relationship of the GOR to the Media Rights Agreement. In other words, if the Media Rights Agreement has always said that it would only apply to institutions that remain members of the conference, and since there are already other provisions that provide for ESPN to adjust the contract upward (Notre Dame) or downward (Cal/Stanford/SMU) based on membership changes, then it cannot possibly be argued that a mere Grant of Rights can confer a GREATER duration to the Media Rights Agreement than was previously contemplated and agreed upon by the schools under the original Media Rights Agreement.

Short answer: F$U and Clemson win.

Advertisement
It is significantly more than that ... they are asking the COURT to review the ESPN media agreement and it's language, and how IT defines the ACC GOR. If the court does review the two separate documents, and concludes that the ESPN media agreement DOES STATE that the GOR is in effect ONLY WHILE A MEMBER INSTITUTION REMAINS A CONFERENCE MEMBER .... then it is confirmed that any school that leaves the ACC leaves with all future media rights in tact, no buyback is necessary from anyone. Any school can leave, having only the ACC exit fee to deal with, and that has proven to be a negotiable item in the past.
I porsted this from info found in a Texas to SEC forum a while back.

Makes sense.

Let's scenario Yormark + Big 12 puts together offer for Miami close enough to SEC/B1G money annually.

Do we care if Miami goes Big 12 then?

Let's scenario Yormark + Big 12 puts together offer for Miami close enough to SEC/B1G money annually.

Yes.

I am still concerned.

There are various academic benefits to Big 10 membership and geographic benefits to Big 10 membership that far outweigh "getting close" on the money and the annual schedule that would involve:

Baylor
BYU
UCF
Cincinnati
Houston
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

Sorry, but that is just not a conference that I want to affiliate with. And before you say "yes, but there will be some ACC teams too", hasn't that already proven to be part of the problem (F$U and Clemson notwithstanding)?

Pass. No Big 12 for me, under any circumstances.

Joining the Big 10 is an existential issue.

Yes.

I am still concerned.

There are various academic benefits to Big 10 membership and geographic benefits to Big 10 membership that far outweigh "getting close" on the money and the annual schedule that would involve:

Baylor
BYU
UCF
Cincinnati
Houston
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

Sorry, but that is just not a conference that I want to affiliate with. And before you say "yes, but there will be some ACC teams too", hasn't that already proven to be part of the problem (F$U and Clemson notwithstanding)?

Completely agree. There’s no way the Big 12 ever becomes a good option. Perception matters.

Advertisement
Yes.

I am still concerned.

Baylor
BYU
UCF
Cincinnati
Houston
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

The Big 12 has correctly been referenced as the "leftover" conference and that would only be amplified by any team leaving the ACC that can't get into the P2. There was more discussion this am on Warchant regarding the SEC as their potential final destination. Would be great for Miami if FSU / Clemson are directed to the SEC by ESPN leaving the B10 for Miami / UNC. We can play FSU OOC.

Yes.

I am still concerned.

Baylor
BYU
UCF
Cincinnati
Houston
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

Strong points.

Would you be ok with SEC if not B1G?

In my view, SEC is in stronger position school-wide (from TV $ perspective long-term) than B1G.

Academically, yes, B1G is superior.

What really concerns me is Miami's lack of expansion of the University in general. I think it is going to haunt them in decades to come.

The Big 12 has correctly been referenced as the "leftover" conference and that would only be amplified by any team leaving the ACC that can't get into the P2. There was more discussion this am on Warchant regarding the SEC as their potential final destination. Would be great for Miami if FSU / Clemson are directed to the SEC by ESPN leaving the B10 for Miami / UNC. We can play FSU OOC.
We say that today.

Yormark wasn't brought in for the Big 12 to be the leftover conference of tomorrow though.

I'm not saying he pulls it off, but the more I read about the guy, the more I think he is an adversary of the other conferences that they underestimate at their peril.

We say that today.

Yormark wasn't brought in for the Big 12 to be the leftover conference of tomorrow though.

I'm not saying he pulls it off, but the more I read about the guy, the more I think he is an adversary of the other conferences that they underestimate at their peril.
Josh Pate had half of a podcast on that idea. He stated that if the P2 don't get aggressive and grab the top 4-6 programs from the ACC that Yormark is working on his plan of how to pull it off and legitimately leave the ACC in the dust and become the #3 conference. Just hope that Miami is B10 all day long.

Advertisement
Josh Pate had half of a podcast on that idea. He stated that if the P2 don't get aggressive and grab the top 4-6 programs from the ACC that Yormark is working on his plan of how to pull it off and legitimately leave the ACC in the dust and become the #3 conference. Just hope that Miami is B10 all day long.
I don't know **** about college B-Ball.

Objectively you mouth breathers...where does B12 B-Ball rate against the other conferences?

Strong points.

In my view, SEC is in stronger position school-wide (from TV $ perspective long-term) than B1G.

What really concerns me is Miami's lack of expansion of the University in general. I think it is going to haunt them in decades to come.
Years ago there was a plan put forth to open a whole biotech research area on land that used to be a farm in Northern PBC. The only thing built so far was a shooting range as the other plans changed. There is a bunch of acreage that would make for a great northern campus.

Years ago there was a plan put forth to open a whole biotech research area on land that used to be a farm in Northern PBC. The only thing built so far was a shooting range as the other plans changed. There is a bunch of acreage that would make for a great northern campus.
I would say it is critical to UM's future to establish a PBC campus...

AND UHealth funds could be spent on a significant portion of that campus...

Last edited:
Advertisement
I had a dream one night ... had made some crazy *** $$$ from a day 1 bitcoin investment. After tax was sitting with $10 billion to play with. Decided to dedicate one Billion $$ with:

-$230M to UM for the "Howard Schnellenberger Football Facility"
-$130 M for the ACC exit fee (if not needed due to ACC imploding ... move $$ to NIL fund)
-$240 M perpetual NIL fund (invested with Stiffel Investments) annual proceeds of $25M to go to NIL
-$200 M contingency fund for athletics (with obligation to add Mens Golf)
-$100 M to Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science. To fund a NEW RESEARCH effort focused on
the St. Johns River and it's impact on the Florida acquifer, and marine life on the 331 mile river, inter connecting
lakes and springs, and the Atlantic Ocean (as it dumps millions of cubic meters of fresh water into the Atlantic
in Jacksonville. FACILITY TO BE BUILD ON Lake Beresford, DeLand, Volusia County, Fl. Right in the heart of
Gator / Nole territory. UM boats up and down the river, and maybe some relationship with Stetson U, as a feeder
school with a new marine biology program.
-$100 M to the UM Health ... to launch a STEM CELL THERAPY research facility .... on land in DeLand, Fl at the end of
International Speedway Blvd. PHYSICAL PRESENCE as well as economic impact, in the heart of Gator / Nole
territory ... which also helps recruiting.

Now if I had only made that bitcoin buy around the time of the first commercial transaction ... when a guy paid 50,000 bitcoins for 2 pizzas.

Strong points.

For much of my life, if you put me on the spot, I would have told you that I preferred the SEC. Until the Big 10 added the west coast schools and Miami belatedly got the AAU invitation, I would not have expected Miami to get a Big 10 bid, and I'm not all that impressed with "Michigan and Taint and Pedo State...and then every other ****** state school in the Midwest".

I'd be fine with the SEC if that was the ultimate decision. The addition of Texas and aTm has bolstered the academic credentials. I love the geography. And I've already made the argument that the SEC might be BETTER OFF taking Miami over F$U (assuming they only take 1 more Florida-based school).

I said "Big 10" in that prior post because I felt that the SEC was unlikely. But I could definitely be OK with the SEC.

Advertisement
I had a dream one night ... had made some crazy *** $$$ from a day 1 bitcoin investment. After tax was sitting with $10 billion to play with. Decided to dedicate one Billion $$ with:

-$230M to UM for the "Howard Schnellenberger Football Facility"
-$130 M for the ACC exit fee (if not needed due to ACC imploding ... move $$ to NIL fund)
-$240 M perpetual NIL fund (invested with Stiffel Investments) annual proceeds of $25M to go to NIL
-$200 M contingency fund for athletics (with obligation to add Mens Golf)
-$100 M to Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science. To fund a NEW RESEARCH effort focused on
the St. Johns River and it's impact on the Florida acquifer, and marine life on the 331 mile river, inter connecting
lakes and springs, and the Atlantic Ocean (as it dumps millions of cubic meters of fresh water into the Atlantic
in Jacksonville. FACILITY TO BE BUILD ON Lake Beresford, DeLand, Volusia County, Fl. Right in the heart of
Gator / Nole territory. UM boats up and down the river, and maybe some relationship with Stetson U, as a feeder
school with a new marine biology program.
-$100 M to the UM Health ... to launch a STEM CELL THERAPY research facility .... on land in DeLand, Fl at the end of
International Speedway Blvd. PHYSICAL PRESENCE as well as economic impact, in the heart of Gator / Nole
territory ... which also helps recruiting.

Now if I had only made that bitcoin buy around the time of the first commercial transaction ... when a guy paid 50,000 bitcoins for 2 pizzas.
$10B and no stadium plan?

there is no model where it comes close enough... sorry there just isn't. The academic alliance research arm can be worth multiple X of the media value of the deal in big ten- worst case it would be a wash. And that doesn't even account for the opportunity of home attendance when your big games can include the likes of USC/OSU/Michigan/PennState vs the best being Utah/OK State/ASU/Baylor etc (even if that means you get Indiana at home too now and then)

I've done the math. Just on media rights alone, Miami would most likely need big12 at 125% or more share to exceed the worst case of a 50% Big Ten share if the Big Ten only hits the low-range estimates of revenue per school by the end of the deal in 2029/30. If they hit the high-end range, Miami would need a big 12 share on current deals far exceeding that. And that's with me being nice and assuming Big 12 new updated deal with 3 new members gets the equivalent of 3 ND NBC Football deals + ACC all other sports deals rev allocation valuation into the conference.

Spoiler alert- there aren't 3 ND's media rights value-wise teams available.....

Last edited:
Obviously, winning helps.

But this is about more than just being "valuable" by winning a couple more games.

Miami has paid for a top coach. Miami will build a new football HQ building. Miami has one of the top-paying NIL programs. When you have the Minnesotas of the world matching our effort and expenditure, maybe then we can use "wins" as a tiebreaker.

Until then, Miami has plenty of value.
difference is the Minnesota's and Rutgers of the world are ALREADY IN THE CLUB.

We are the pretty girl at the door trying to give the bouncer enough reason to let us in. We've put on our best dress and fancy shoes now we have to show that the club will be better off with us inside because we're so pretty everyone will be looking at us.

Advertisement
Back