MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Stanford was rejected less than a year ago by big ten and fox and burned bridges over the big ten academic alliance. Things can change of course. Like taking no money for a decade (hi SMU)

Stanford is not without controversy. They join the acc in 83 days and those rights then apply to them as much as Miami or fsu. Not sure what happens in theory should they try to get out of whatever they signed before August 1.

Look things change fast here and maybe the Big Ten is now interested in Stanford, but if you don’t think Stanford tried to get into the Big Ten last year before they came with their hat in hand for a discount rate to the ACC and got told go away kid -you’re not paying attention. If it was purely about adding to their West Coast pod, they could’ve taken them and Cal or whoever last year when they took Oregon and Washington, and they specifically chose not to.

But who knows especially with settlement coming and big payoffs in the past for the NIL issues and other things could be moving differently than where their mindsets were a year ago

Stanford to Big 10: Full-share.

Big 10: No.

Stanford to Big 10: I WANT HALF, EDDIE!

Big 10: No.

Stanford to Big 10: Alright, 25% it is.

Big 10: MAAAAAAAYBEEEEEE...

1715271027470.png

Advertisement
There are a lot of us here! I once read that outside of Florida, the Atlanta metro area is the largest UM alumni base. I have a UM Georgia plate and see other plates / car stickers / etc. pretty much every day and I'm almost an hour north of the city.

I've actually never been given the finger, but I'm a chick, so that may have something to do with it...haha. Maybe they do it behind my back.
I've actually heard that Chicago is the largest outside of Florida. But that was several years ago and most likely has changed.

I've actually heard that Chicago is the largest outside of Florida. But that was several years ago and most likely has changed.
I know there was the graphic about "most searched" teams that showed Miami as #1 in Illinois...but no idea how that is true haha. I go to the official UMiami bar in Chicago from time to time and outside the big games when we are good, it is usually very quiet. And almost never get comments about all the U attire I wear either.

I know there was the graphic about "most searched" teams that showed Miami as #1 in Illinois...but no idea how that is true haha. I go to the official UMiami bar in Chicago from time to time and outside the big games when we are good, it is usually very quiet. And almost never get comments about all the U attire I wear either.
The game watches were pretty decent back in the day (as recent as Golden). But they have fallen way off. I think some of it is on the local alumni group. But the lack of success is most likely the main reason. The Florida game a few years ago was packed.

Advertisement
Yeah I've heard this before but for $3 mil a year (I think it was) he should be really good at everything. He made a horrible hire in baseball and doesn't appear to be too involved in realignment either which isn't a good look. Ive heard (may be untrue) he's not that great of a fundraiser either. So his main forte is adding athletic buildings but he's not an architect, engineer, etc. so he's just working with those firms to pick what the school prefers. Just benchmarking to other schools and picking what Miami should have in comparison isn't that hard.
Not sure where you heard that , because it’s one of the only things he does very well.

Advertisement
Any chance you can list the 12 (via cut-paste-edit?). TB Times is behind a paywall.
  1. Expect a Settlement: Legal battles often end with settlements, except for rare instances like Boston College's victory, saving $4 million.
  2. Dueling Lawsuits are Common: Cases frequently involve parallel litigation, such as FSU/Clemson versus the ACC, mirroring past conflicts like Maryland's departure.
  3. Lengthy Legal Processes: Resolving cases usually takes over 10 months, with some dragging on for more than 15 months, complicating matters for schools and conferences.
  4. Exits are Delayed, Not Stopped: While legal battles seldom halt school transitions between conferences, they often serve to delay the process, as seen in the Big East brawl.
  5. Fights Over Home-Court Advantage: Disputes often arise over the jurisdiction of legal proceedings, shaping the course of litigation.
  6. Similar Legal Arguments: Common legal themes emerge across cases, such as claims of sovereign immunity, echoing past precedents and challenges.
  7. Ugly Legal Battles: Litigation can turn contentious, with accusations of manipulation and defamation marring proceedings and exacerbating tensions.
  8. Scheduling as a Negotiation Tool: Future game schedules become leverage in legal disputes, potentially influencing settlement terms and financial outcomes.
  9. Past Realignment Influences Current Decisions: Previous realignment experiences inform present-day strategies and decisions, shaping the trajectory of ongoing disputes.
  10. Increased Financial Stakes: The financial demands associated with conference realignment have escalated significantly over time, posing substantial risks and challenges for schools.
  11. Existential Threats: Realignment decisions can have profound implications, potentially altering the landscape of college sports conferences and institutions.
  12. Prominent Figures Involved: Notable political and academic figures often become entangled in these legal battles, further complicating the resolution process and adding layers of complexity.

You think people are actively Googling the University of Illinois? 🤣

If ND decides time to join B1G, they can name their terms and B1G wouldnt blink. That includes bringing Stanford as their partner, even at a reduced rate.

Once upon a time, it seemed Miami would be ND partner, especially the longer ND wanted to stay independent. But ND fighting for ACC to take Stanford makes me think they are the obvious ND partner when its time to move.

That said, is ND really thinking of joining a conference?

One last note - if Miami was thinking they were going to be ND partner, I would be sure to have a backup plan. Better hope FSU goes to SEC. Don’t see them partnering up with Miami at this point and not sure who the natural partner would be for Miami.

Hope I’m wrong, but I’m seeing Miami in the ACC for the forseeable future (5+ years at a minimum).

1. Expect a Settlement: Legal battles often end with settlements, except for rare instances like Boston College's victory, saving $4 million.
  2. Dueling Lawsuits are Common: Cases frequently involve parallel litigation, such as FSU/Clemson versus the ACC, mirroring past conflicts like Maryland's departure.
  3. Lengthy Legal Processes: Resolving cases usually takes over 10 months, with some dragging on for more than 15 months, complicating matters for schools and conferences.
  4. Exits are Delayed, Not Stopped: While legal battles seldom halt school transitions between conferences, they often serve to delay the process, as seen in the Big East brawl.
  5. Fights Over Home-Court Advantage: Disputes often arise over the jurisdiction of legal proceedings, shaping the course of litigation.
  6. Similar Legal Arguments: Common legal themes emerge across cases, such as claims of sovereign immunity, echoing past precedents and challenges.
  7. Ugly Legal Battles: Litigation can turn contentious, with accusations of manipulation and defamation marring proceedings and exacerbating tensions.
  8. Scheduling as a Negotiation Tool: Future game schedules become leverage in legal disputes, potentially influencing settlement terms and financial outcomes.
  9. Past Realignment Influences Current Decisions: Previous realignment experiences inform present-day strategies and decisions, shaping the trajectory of ongoing disputes.
  10. Increased Financial Stakes: The financial demands associated with conference realignment have escalated significantly over time, posing substantial risks and challenges for schools.
  11. Existential Threats: Realignment decisions can have profound implications, potentially altering the landscape of college sports conferences and institutions.
  12. Prominent Figures Involved: Notable political and academic figures often become entangled in these legal battles, further complicating the resolution process and adding layers of complexity.

Ahhhh...I thought they were citing 12 prior cases.

These are just guidelines your parents taught you....

Advertisement
If ND decides time to join B1G, they can name their terms and B1G wouldnt blink. That includes bringing Stanford as their partner, even at a reduced rate.

Once upon a time, it seemed Miami would be ND partner, especially the longer ND wanted to stay independent. But ND fighting for ACC to take Stanford makes me think they are the obvious ND partner when its time to move.

One last note - if Miami was thinking they were going to be ND partner, I would be sure to have a backup plan. Better hope FSU goes to SEC. Don’t see them partnering up with Miami at this point and not sure who the natural partner would be for Miami.

Hope I’m wrong, but I’m seeing Miami in the ACC for the forseeable future (5+ years at a minimum).
Heck, there might not BE an ACC 5 years from now. ND is remaining independent for the foreseeable future and most likely doing a scheduling agreement with the B10. They agreed to the new CFP format and there was definitely discussion before the terms were finalized. FSU won't "partner" with anybody ... FOX will determine who goes to the B10 for the most part. A lot depends on wha the SEC ends up doing. They might take UNC / UVA / Clemson / NC St? Then it is FSU & Miami to the B10. Risk is that the B10 takes FSU + Clemson ... then Miami might not make a move for another year or 2. If the B10 goes to 22 and the SEC goes to 20 ... we will be in the B10. Just need this ACC legal action with Clemson / FSU to move along (negotiated settlement with precedents that apply league wide), and UNC to also enter the fray. Crazy times.

Interim Dean who took over a few weeks ago is a colleague I've worked closely with for 16 years. She is a rockstar leader both in terms of managing people and strategic vision and she has already started rolling out necessary massive structural changes.
Patricia Sanchez Abril? Chair, Business Law, Herbert Business School. Interesting that they drew someone outside of the law school. Quite a bio ... Duke Magna *** Laude undergrad, Harvard Law School. Brief stint with Univision and then Greenberg Traurig before joining UM. She gets my vote on looks alone ... has kind of a Demi Moore look going on in some photos. Where was she born ? Listened to one talk that she gave en Espanol and her Spanish is flawless.

Advertisement
Patricia Sanchez Abril? Chair, Business Law, Herbert Business School. Interesting that they drew someone outside of the law school. Quite a bio ... Duke Magna *** Laude undergrad, Harvard Law School. Brief stint with Univision and then Greenberg Traurig before joining UM. She gets my vote on looks alone ... has kind of a Demi Moore look going on in some photos. Where was she born ? Listened to one talk that she gave en Espanol and her Spanish is flawless.
yes. Shes from here and family is deeply rooted here (e.g. her dad built homestead motor speedway and was who first got Formula 1 to Miami). No comment on why they went to Miami Herbert faculty instead of the law faculty. Read between lines is fine.

10-15 years ago or so, Stanford would have been atop everyones list. $$ sports were excellent and they won what was the Sears trophy 7 of 10 years. School has slipped in every way, but Athletics have tumbled. With their 37B endowment, they can **** off as far as I am concerned. No excuse other than horrible leadership.

Punch yourself in the **** and stop posting in this thread

You are wrong on multiple points

Heck, there might not BE an ACC 5 years from now. ND is remaining independent for the foreseeable future and most likely doing a scheduling agreement with the B10. They agreed to the new CFP format and there was definitely discussion before the terms were finalized. FSU won't "partner" with anybody ... FOX will determine who goes to the B10 for the most part. A lot depends on wha the SEC ends up doing. They might take UNC / UVA / Clemson / NC St? Then it is FSU & Miami to the B10. Risk is that the B10 takes FSU + Clemson ... then Miami might not make a move for another year or 2. If the B10 goes to 22 and the SEC goes to 20 ... we will be in the B10. Just need this ACC legal action with Clemson / FSU to move along (negotiated settlement with precedents that apply league wide), and UNC to also enter the fray. Crazy times.

The UNC AD starting to be vocal on ACC and its leadership is a big deal, but it’s been mentioned a few times in here, the politics in North Carolina muddy the waters alot for UNC to make a clean break. Even if the ACC and GOR was blown up tomorrow, the 4 ACC schools in North Carolina have extra red tape before they can freely move to a new conference

You guys can believe it or not, but FSU and Clemson filing their suits were strategic and Miami was fully aware of the plan

Advertisement
Back