MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

FSU still isn’t AAU accredited. People can say it’s a formality but the AAU members are generally very selective and I don’t think fsu meets the criteria. The AAU looked at both USF and FSU last year, but only extended an invite to USF. FSU has far more name recognition but it didn’t matter. UM got in because we have a huge biomedical research program. I don’t think FSU has anything comparable. My guess would still be FSU /Clemson to SEC , UNC and Miami to B1G ( or UM /ND)
FSU is very close to AAU. They have a very aggressive research expenditure program laid out and are implementing it, and it includes new medical research activities. I firmly believe that FSU does have a B10 invite, with full share. The only question is ... does ESPN step in finally and use their muscle to "usher" FSU to the SEC? @Genetics (yeah, I know, click bait generator ... but does have some actual contacts as well due to his job) stated on Warchant yesterday that he had visited two B10 schools (job related) and was discussing realignment ... the names that came up by the school reps were FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA. Clemson is the one that is "AAU Challenged" and has had little B10 university president support ... but a lot of FOX media support due to viewership. I hope that ESPN overcomes the inertia of "remaining at 16" and grabs FSU and UNC along with Clemson. That would make Miami the Florida inroad for the B10. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds, and it is critical that Miami have a high profile season in 24.

Advertisement
I firmly believe that FSU does have a B10 invite, with full share.
How would FSU receiving a full share from Day One sit with U-Dub and Oregon, which are (reportedly) getting a half share until 2031? Would the other ACC schools you mentioned also get a full share right from the start as well? Seems like that might a uncomfortable situation to navigate for the commissioner

That would make Miami the Florida inroad for the B10. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds, and it is critical that Miami have a high profile season in 24.

Conference realignment at the SEC/B1G level isn't based on the outcome of one football season.

You don't think Sankey and Pettiti have already decided which directions they want to go with their respective expansions?

These moves happen in pairs: Texas+Oklahoma, USC+UCLA, Oregon+Washington.

In Miami's case, the sooner the ACC unravels and Notre Dame's "half-membership" becomes untenable, the better off the Canes will be

Advertisement
FSU still isn’t AAU accredited. People can say it’s a formality but the AAU members are generally very selective and I don’t think fsu meets the criteria. The AAU looked at both USF and FSU last year, but only extended an invite to USF. FSU has far more name recognition but it didn’t matter. UM got in because we have a huge biomedical research program. I don’t think FSU has anything comparable. My guess would still be FSU /Clemson to SEC , UNC and Miami to B1G ( or UM /ND)
Being that the B1G had no problem busting up a century old conference, particularly one it had a close relationship with for decades as their champions annually met in the Rose Bowl, I'm not sure the AAU accreditation is all that important anymore. If FOX wants FSU, they'll get FSU.

How would FSU receiving a full share from Day One sit with U-Dub and Oregon, which are (reportedly) getting a half share until 2031? Would the other ACC schools you mentioned also get a full share right from the start as well? Seems like that might a uncomfortable situation to navigate for the commissioner
It's all based on the circumstances involved. If FOX believes FSU is a must-have and fears the SEC might take them, FSU will get a full share. U-Dub and Oregon had no leverage and didn't bring the TV clout FSU does. Colorado announced they were going to the Big 12 and the remaining PAC 12 schools were like rats jumping off a sinking ship.

Conference realignment at the SEC/B1G level isn't based on the outcome of one football season.

You don't think Sankey and Pettiti have already decided which directions they want to go with their respective expansions?

These moves happen in pairs: Texas+Oklahoma, USC+UCLA, Oregon+Washington.

In Miami's case, the sooner the ACC unravels and Notre Dame's "half-membership" becomes untenable, the better off the Canes will be
Results this year are definitely important

Advertisement
The only motivation is $. If X league believes Y team will be the more lucrative choice than Z team, they will get Y team. Without knowing the figures they are analyzing, the predictions are meaningless.

If FOX wants FSU, they'll get FSU.

FOX ain't getting FSU because FSU is going to the SEC. Period.

Take that one to the bank, Cane brotha

This "FSU is going to the B1G" is just posturing to help expedite the realignment process.

This is from ESPN's Pete Thamel back in December. He is as tied in with the realignment process an anyone in the business.

"I would think the SEC would be happy to sit at 16 for a while because they really like their footprint. There's enough intimacy. They have a region right now. The only thing that disrupts that is if they have to play defense because they don't want the Big Ten to come into their region.

"Is that Florida State? Is that North Carolina, which is coveted. Virginia, which is coveted. I think the ranking — and people at Florida State and Clemson don't like to hear this — but it's North Carolina, Virginia, Clemson and Florida State. Or maybe Florida State (No. 3) instead of Clemson because they bring more eyeballs and TV sets. Those schools are in the crosshairs."

Step 1: FSU and Clemson

It's not impossible they won't, but the audience that shows up for a good Miami team is significant.

The problem is that we have been saying that for almost 20 years. How confident can network execs be that UM isn’t going to go back to its cheap ways if Cristobal fails, then the B1G gets stuck with a program that leeches off it ? That was ACCs perception of us. And now we are talking triple the amount basically in perpetuity .

B10 just has to take a peep at the baseball team. We have been floundering for years, then we get a chance to fix it and double down on stupid. I wouldn’t trust the UM administration to keep revenue sports competitive, and I think deep down most of us all feel that same way too .

I am troubled by the TOTAL lack of smoke about us moving. I am afraid we are not really wanted by the B1G or SEC and have deluded ourselves into thinking that remaining in the ACC will be like the old Big East days where we dominate regular seasons and them play for titles. That is certainly not what the B1G and SEC have planned.

Advertisement
The problem is that we have been saying that for almost 20 years. How confident can network execs be that UM isn’t going to go back to its cheap ways if Cristobal fails, then the B1G gets stuck with a program that leeches off it ? That was ACCs perception of us. And now we are talking triple the amount basically in perpetuity .

B10 just has to take a peep at the baseball team. We have been floundering for years, then we get a chance to fix it and double down on stupid. I wouldn’t trust the UM administration to keep revenue sports competitive, and I think deep down most of us all feel that same way too .
Miami-FSU
Miami-ND
Miami-Nebraska
Miami-Penn St

All of these would draw enough eyes to justify our admission.

It's all based on the circumstances involved. If FOX believes FSU is a must-have and fears the SEC might take them, FSU will get a full share. U-Dub and Oregon had no leverage and didn't bring the TV clout FSU does. Colorado announced they were going to the Big 12 and the remaining PAC 12 schools were like rats jumping off a sinking ship.

So are we the rats…

Advertisement
FOX ain't getting FSU because FSU is going to the SEC. Period.

Take that one to the bank, Cane brotha

This "FSU is going to the B1G" is just posturing to help expedite the realignment process.

This is from ESPN's Pete Thamel back in December. He is as tied in with the realignment process an anyone in the business.

"I would think the SEC would be happy to sit at 16 for a while because they really like their footprint. There's enough intimacy. They have a region right now. The only thing that disrupts that is if they have to play defense because they don't want the Big Ten to come into their region.

"Is that Florida State? Is that North Carolina, which is coveted. Virginia, which is coveted. I think the ranking — and people at Florida State and Clemson don't like to hear this — but it's North Carolina, Virginia, Clemson and Florida State. Or maybe Florida State (No. 3) instead of Clemson because they bring more eyeballs and TV sets. Those schools are in the crosshairs."

Step 1: FSU and Clemson

Missing school is…

Miami-FSU
Miami-ND
Miami-Nebraska
Miami-Penn St

All of these would draw enough eyes to justify our admission.
I don't understand how people think our negatives are magnified by x1000 but our positives just don't matter. I don't understand for the life of me how UVA (and I'm a UVA Alum) is so apparently coveted by the Big or SEC. They don't have the NIL, $$$ commitment, or desire to compete at the highest levels of CFB. What they offer is geography, a market, and stellar academics. We've sucked and still beat them in every metric the networks care about (attendance, viewership, budget, NIL, etc.). Also, VT has far more of a following in Virginia, CFB wise, than UVA.

Right now FSU is the top viewer program along with Clemson ... that aren't members of the "P2". FSU is WANTED by FOX ... that wasn't the situation when the Pac 12 imploded and WA / OR went begging to get in.

Hurts but true…

In a world of what have you done for me lately:

Big sports building still a what if
Football has fallen flat with Mario splash hire so far, Zo was a bust
Baseball hire was a lazy dud
Women’s Basketball TBD but it’s not like we struck for a popular up and comer and paid up to show we’re serious
Rad has been meh

The big money admins should go spend a summer internship in Baton Rouge, have some chargrilled oysters and see what recent national championships look like across the athletic department …

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back