MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
I’ve said before that, on this issue, the school is operating on a very tight and closed loop information ecosystem. A handful of people are handling realignment, and they seldom leak. I don't consider myself an insider on most issues or even this one, but on this and UM Admin, there are people I trust who've assured me. The Big 12 just isn’t a realistic or considered option for the school. It would be a worst case everything else fails scenario. My personal belief is that we end up in the Big 10 when all is said and done.

Co-sign

You’re one of the few people bringing real insight to this thread and topic.

There are a few other porsters being super dense and love pushing the “sky is falling” agenda

Screenshot-2024-04-11-at-4-20-20-PM.png

Imagine covering College Football at this point and actually being dumb enough to believe "well-placed sources" telling you the "B1G & SEC have zero interest in expanding at the moment"

At the moment doesn't mean jack in the big picture.

How will the SEC and B1G feel about expansion once ACC schools are free of their legal obligations to Jim Phillips?

You are commingling points

FSU and Clemson are pushing for a reasonable exit fee that includes future TV rights, and that battle is swinging to the side of member schools.

The minute it gets set, it would apply to every other school.

Now where the deal cutting occurs is with the new TV partner comes in to amortize the early exit fee.
In fact, the ACC would want it to apply to any other school because the minute those two schools leave the value of the conference, including the media rights go down and a school filing suit. They are shortly thereafter, especially if ESPN has come in and renegotiated a deal for less money could be that they owe less because the media writes overall have gone down.

Yes, the school needs to an action but acc could wind up getting less for subsequent schools depending on timing and situation

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not a ******* chance
This is what makes this thread amazing...

Ispy saying not a ******* chance to Cane6 who just celebrated FL Cane for being insightful... .yet everyone expects the board to just sit and sip tea and trust the UM administration to get this right.... after 20 + years of getting next to nothing right...

Sounds fair...

There is a difference between sky is falling, jest and distrust of the process and not buying everything someone sells....

I appreciate all the connected people providing their available tidbits of information, but there is not exactly alignment amongst this board....

Carry on...

This is what makes this thread amazing...

Ispy saying not a ******* chance to Cane6 who just celebrated FL Cane for being insightful... .yet everyone expects the board to just sit and sip tea and trust the UM administration to get this right.... after 20 + years of getting next to nothing right...

Sounds fair...

There is a difference between sky is falling, jest and distrust of the process and not buying everything someone sells....

I appreciate all the connected people providing their available tidbits of information, but there is not exactly alignment amongst this board....

Carry on...
I was talking specifically about Virginia being next to file not anything else in their back and forth. Not sure how you missed what I responded to

Because it's better than the alternative. And I stand by my belief that Rads top preference is staying in the ACC. I expect the acc and espn will come up with some additional performance based incentives and then publish some funny math to show how the top 3 acc teams will make "comparable" amounts of money as the P2 schools, especially when you factor in things like travel distance and not needing to add additional non revenue sports.
It's not really rocket science in my mind. Look at ACC offer, compare it to the exit fee, and make a decision. I refuse to believe UM doesn't at least have a rough idea of the revenue they would be getting from another conference to jump ship.

Advertisement
I was talking specifically about Virginia being next to file not anything else in their back and forth. Not sure how you missed what I responded to
I got it... It was my reading of 3 threads roughly back to back... and commenting why some here may not be sold that we are getting out of the ACC for greener pastures...

I tend to think we are B1G by 2026/27. I would also not be 1% surprised if the admin totally ****ed this up....

I got it... It was my reading of 3 threads roughly back to back... and commenting why some here may not be sold that we are getting out of the ACC for greener pastures...

I tend to think we are B1G by 2026/27. I would also not be 1% surprised if the admin totally ****ed this up....
Agree ... .HOPE we are in the Big 10 but .... given UM administration is in charge. Good luck.

It's not really rocket science in my mind. Look at ACC offer, compare it to the exit fee, and make a decision. I refuse to believe UM doesn't at least have a rough idea of the revenue they would be getting from another conference to jump ship.
Well THAT is the issue isn't it? A lot of speculation that ... at this point ... UM doesn't have a confirmed P2 landing spot. Most likely changes in the future, as when the B10 does their next media contract. Again ... that is speculation.

Advertisement
Latest update on Warchant by RegalNole ... the ONE guy who is regarded by the "Nole Community" to have some legit media contacts and the one who has basically said "they are out" and will announce prior to this season. He just commented "he fully expects ESPN to enact the composition clause prior to 8/15/24 and basically void the entire current ACC media deal". If the media deal IS negated, there goes the GOR and there goes the ACC .... every man for themselves.

2026/2027 is a reasonable timeline. 2025 is possible, but the big caveat here is that the entire conference would need to implode. I think we initially go in with a decently reduced revenue share (~30% - 50%), with a scale up clause for performance.

Ultimately, the only thing that matters here is getting into the BIG. If we have to take a heavily reduced share, so be it.

2026/2027 is a reasonable timeline. 2025 is possible, but the big caveat here is that the entire conference would need to implode. I think we initially go in with a decently reduced revenue share (~30% - 50%), with a scale up clause for performance.

Ultimately, the only thing that matters here is getting into the BIG. If we have to take a heavily reduced share, so be it.
Disagree. We shouldn't accept a reduced share. If they try to pull that on us, then join the SEC.

Advertisement

No argument from me here. B1G is the answer. If it is prorated, ramp up similar to Oregon and Washington, I will not quibble about it...

Latest update on Warchant by RegalNole ... the ONE guy who is regarded by the "Nole Community" to have some legit media contacts and the one who has basically said "they are out" and will announce prior to this season. He just commented "he fully expects ESPN to enact the composition clause prior to 8/15/24 and basically void the entire current ACC media deal". If the media deal IS negated, there goes the GOR and there goes the ACC .... every man for themselves.
What’s the chicken and egg of his claim? Can’t see how you invoke a composition clause unless the composition has already changed (ie FSU and Clemson already finding a way out).

Advertisement
Back