MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Not following what you're saying here.

You think UM's administration should be setting fire to every bridge within 100 miles like what's going on in Tallahassee?

Name one Big Ten expansion addition that created even a small ripple before leaving?

USC and UCLA certainly didn't when they snuck out at midnight.

U-Dub and Oregon were lying through their teeth even after they left the Pac-12, saying something to the effect of "we would've stayed if only the money and exposure in the proposed media agreements had been a little better."

Yeah, right. Sure y'all would've stayed and been relegated to a second-tier conference by choice

At this point, yes.

Politely.

But, yes, we should be filing our lawsuit and making our moves.

It was sickening to read all the "let's just sit on the sidelines and let F$U do all the legal heavy lifting for us" nonsense a few months ago.

Now it's just certifiably insane.

The building is on fire and we are sitting here waiting for some brave fireman to climb 20 flights of stairs to carry us to safety.

Advertisement
Not following what you're saying here.

You think UM's administration should be setting fire to every bridge within 100 miles like what's going on in Tallahassee?

Name one Big Ten expansion addition that created even a small ripple before leaving?

USC and UCLA certainly didn't when they snuck out at midnight.

U-Dub and Oregon were lying through their teeth even after they left the Pac-12, saying something to the effect of "we would've stayed if only the money and exposure in the proposed media agreements had been a little better."

Yeah, right. Sure y'all would've stayed and been relegated to a second-tier conference by choice
Why are you comparing what schools on expiring deals did to Miami's situation? What are you trying to call a similarity?

Having sold reverse mortgages (the most soul sucking, depressing job of my life) , I can tell you - no, it almost always is not.

But as for the Big 12, I think that's where we eventually end up after sitting on our thumbs for too long and the P2 deciding that they don't need to further dilute shares (at least for a few years) . It's not great and means we clearly got out maneuvered by FSU - even the most irrational UM sunshine pumpers will have to admit FSU won the long game- but at least we'll recruit better in Texas (probably)
GIF by CBS

Advertisement
UNLESS ESPN brokers a DEAL taking Clem / FSU to the SEC and gets ACC members to accept a revised (lower) media deal.

Not happening, IMO.

FSU + Clemson leave and all **** breaks loose.

Greg Sankey — and he and ESPN are 100% working together here — will also take UNC, NC State, UVA and Va Tech to get to 22 and eventually fill things out with Duke and GT as 24 is more manageable than 22.

If need be, Sankey, ESPN and the ACC evacuees they choose to absorb can fairly easily cut a deal that works for all sides.

For example:

All SEC new members get a full pro-rata share per Sankey's agreement with ESPN, so:

FSU/Clemson/UNC/NC State/UVA/VA Tech/Duke/GA Tech come to the SEC at a reduced rate (say $15M each less than a full media share for 'X' number of years) and that money can then be used to facilitate the ACC left-behinds going to the Big XII as well as further sweetening the pot for the exisiting SEC schools as a trade off for approving more expansion.

And remember, too, the SEC (and BIG and Big XII) schools will also be getting a bigger share of the CFP money when the ACC's annual share of $222M will be redirected to the three remaining power conferences

Meanwhile and most importantly, the Rock's UFL partners ESPN and FOX will hash out a deal that shifts Miami and ND to the B1G (with Stanford and Cal likely in tow)

Good luck. If ESPN brokers a deal with FSU & Clemson to the SEC no other school in the ACC is going to simply be able to say "oh I want what they have". They have already a). initiated legal action b). Gone to court c). Would have received a negotiated settlement OF THEIR LEGAL ACTIONS.

The only way Miami or any other ACC school gets "a deal" is by fighting for it in court. Any "FSU negotiated settlement" will not apply.

Advertisement
Why are you comparing what schools on expiring deals did to Miami's situation? What are you trying to call a similarity?

The similarity would be how schools headed to the B1G have handled business: create as little commotion and disharmony as possible before hitting the exit ramp.

"Everything's good. We're proud members of this conference. We're committed to the path we're on..."

Followed by a departure announcement: "Unfortunately, we had no realistic option but to leave ..." and "... we are thrilled to compete in the Big Ten, the nation's premier conference for academics and athletics. Blah blah blah ..."

This process is scripted like wrasslin'

Good luck. If ESPN brokers a deal with FSU & Clemson to the SEC no other school in the ACC is going to simply be able to say "oh I want what they have". They have already a). initiated legal action b). Gone to court c). Would have received a negotiated settlement OF THEIR LEGAL ACTIONS.

The only way Miami or any other ACC school gets "a deal" is by fighting for it in court. Any "FSU negotiated settlement" will not apply.

You are commingling points

FSU and Clemson are pushing for a reasonable exit fee that includes future TV rights, and that battle is swinging to the side of member schools.

The minute it gets set, it would apply to every other school.

Now where the deal cutting occurs is with the new TV partner comes in to amortize the early exit fee.

You are commingling points

FSU and Clemson are pushing for a reasonable exit fee that includes future TV rights, and that battle is swinging to the side of member schools.

The minute it gets set, it would apply to every other school.

Now where the deal cutting occurs is with the new TV partner comes in to amortize the early exit fee.
No I am not. You are assuming that there is a court solution ... a judges ruling that automatically applies to all schools. I am saying it won't get TO that point if ESPN gets the ACC / Clemson / FSU to a negotiated out of court settlement . THAT would not apply to the other ACC schools as they are not party to the suit or negotiations.

Will ESPN exercise that 9-year ACC renewal by the 2-1-25 deadline once it's confirmed FSU and Clemson are leaving?

What have we seen that indicates the SEC has the ACC's back in these FSU and Clemson lawsuits?

How much leverage does the ACC even have going foward?

Will the ACC have-nots continue to fund lawsuits against schools that want to leave or might they instead try to find a more secure landing spot in the Big XII?

Is it worth noting the Big XII commissioner didn't publicly grumble one time about the ACC getting a larger CFP share than the Big XII?

Or that — like with his counterparts in the SEC and Big Ten — the Big XII boss blew off the leaders of the "Super League" proposal while Jim Phillips, meanwhile, had those same leaders speak before the ACC presidents in February?

Advertisement
No I am not. You are assuming that there is a court solution ... a judges ruling that automatically applies to all schools. I am saying it won't get TO that point if ESPN gets the ACC / Clemson / FSU to a negotiated out of court settlement . THAT would not apply to the other ACC schools as they are not party to the suit or negotiations.
If FSU & Clemson get a settlement then (1) Miami and other schools will approach the conference about negotiating their own exits or (2) Miami and other schools will immediately file suit.

Either way, the conference is dead.

Does Sankey not want to dominate the NC and VA markets as well?

Can we expect the wheels are also being greased for ACC schools in those states?

It's always easier to leave when the front door's been knocked down

you really think that if fsu and Clemson were to negotiate a release from acc that it would have no impact to other schools interested in leaving????

Advertisement
Does Sankey not want to dominate the NC and VA markets as well?

Can we expect the wheels are also being greased for ACC schools in those states?

It's always easier to leave when the front door's been knocked down
Sure we want to leave, but a negotiated settlement behind closed doors, facilitated as a result of a legal action, is not automatically "applicable" to to every other school under the same conditions. I am pretty sure that anybody wanting a SETTLEMENT is going to have to sue first, unless the conference is dissolved, as the GOR still applies to all other schools.

you really think that if fsu and Clemson were to negotiate a release from acc that it would have no impact to other schools interested in leaving????
There is no way that the terms of their negotiated LAW CASE SETTLEMENT automatically apply to the other conference members. And, by sitting idly by, watching two schools IN COURT, potentially getting ESPN / ACC / SEC to a settlement agreement, there could end up being more difficult terms for US leaving after the fact. Will there be an impact" **** yes ... "we want out too" will be the cry ... but from a procedural standpoint as long as we are bound by our GOR and we haven't challenged it ... we are to a degree "non interested bystanders".

There is no way that the terms of their negotiated LAW CASE SETTLEMENT automatically apply to the other conference members. And, by sitting idly by, watching two schools IN COURT, potentially getting ESPN / ACC / SEC to a settlement agreement, there could end up being more difficult terms for US leaving after the fact. Will there be an impact" **** yes ... "we want out too" will be the cry ... but from a procedural standpoint as long as we are bound by our GOR and we haven't challenged it ... we are to a degree "non interested bystanders".

You’re adding in components (SEC) and adjectives that I didn’t mention.

No where did I say “automatically apply”

You’re also acting like each school is going to independently haggle their own exit fee like those details from fsu and Clemson won’t become public and won’t be used as a precedent

If anything, if FSU and Clemson leave, and then ESPN/ACC tries to lower the annual tv payout, it lowers the exit fee due to simple contract law standards

Advertisement
Back