MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that if fans want to watch the SEC, which is comprised of southern states, they have to go to Disney owned ESPN. And to watch the B1G, which covers the northeast and west coast, they have to go to Fox?
Honestly, I didn’t really think about it, though I know what you’re saying because I’m just so ******* sick of every single topic and desire to feed the outrage machine happening that I try to ignore it when I come here - except though when somebody else like earlier in this thread, interjects it. Then I just won’t leave it alone.

we could certainly go into a whole dissertation about what you’re saying in a completely different way than some might think I might go but let’s stay on topic and just say that there is essentially no difference between ESPN & fox - they’re just out to make money which is actually their job and fiduciary responsibility to shareholders - regardless of what anybody personally feels about them. And as part of that job, they have audiences that they cater to - but it doesn’t have to be consistent across channels or business units.

Last edited:
I like your thinking and it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, college football is not making too much sense nowadays.

As an aging Cane fan, I've seen the 3 traditional rivals (UF, ND, and FSU) whittled down to one played every year. It would be a real shame if Miami and FSU had to come to an end as well in all of this realignment (and that is a possibility).

Miami and FSU should be travel partners to any new conference. It would be extremely asinine weren't the case and I have to believe the decision makers are smart people.... but then again people have surprised me in the past.

Miami and FSU independently are both valuable to the P2 on their own. But together? The whole is better than the sum of the parts. You get a built in rivalry game with national appeal that's like having a bowl game in the middle of the season. Any conference commissioner or TV exec who wouldn't see the added value in taking the pair is a moron... and you have to hope that the people in charge aren't complete fools. IMO.

Is it really? Then I learned something today, I always thought it was private. It looks so small.
Total enrollment is like 45k split between undergrad and grad like 45-55 respectively give or take.

It’s just that at best they might be the 4the best draw tv ratings in their own market unless they are having a great season and even then can’t touch the school in Athens

Miami to the B10 along with FSU + ND with a scheduling arrangement like they have with the ACC ... gives us BOTH FSU and ND, along with the old Nebraska and Penn State games. Would be a home run ... then add USC.

If I were the Big Ten, I would be a hard "NO" on any formal scheduling arrangement or partial membership agreement with Notre Dame. Yes, it might make financial sense to a degree, but you have to weigh that against the toxicity that it would cause.

Look at the ACC. Part of the reason this conference is such a ****hole is because Notre Dame throws its weight around and gets its way in conference decision-making, while not really having any vested interest in whether the conference prospers or not. They call the shots and they don't suffer the consequences for anything because their bread is buttered by NBC.

It's a toxic arrangement and frankly, the Big Ten doesn't need it. I would tell them you can join the conference as a full member any time, but we're not interested in partial memberships at any level. You're in or out, we're good either way.

Advertisement
Total enrollment is like 45k split between undergrad and grad like 45-55 respectively give or take.

It’s just that at best they might be the 4the best draw tv ratings in their own market unless they are having a great season and even then can’t touch the school in Athens

Well how about that. Never knew.

Miami to the B10 along with FSU + ND with a scheduling arrangement like they have with the ACC ... gives us BOTH FSU and ND, along with the old Nebraska and Penn State games. Would be a home run ... then add USC.
Absolutely. Many possibilities out there.

If I were the Big Ten, I would be a hard "NO" on any formal scheduling arrangement or partial membership agreement with Notre Dame. Yes, it might make financial sense to a degree, but you have to weigh that against the toxicity that it would cause.

Look at the ACC. Part of the reason this conference is such a ****hole is because Notre Dame throws its weight around and gets its way in conference decision-making, while not really having any vested interest in whether the conference prospers or not. They call the shots and they don't suffer the consequences for anything because their bread is buttered by NBC.

It's a toxic arrangement and frankly, the Big Ten doesn't need it. I would tell them you can join the conference as a full member any time, but we're not interested in partial memberships at any level. You're in or out, we're good either way.
Disagree ... a scheduling agreement with Nd / B10 would be a start in the right direction and once the CFP regulations become tighter ... as they will ... a conference affiliation with the P2 is going to be an outright requirement ... then they can join. It's a win / win. If they choose to join NOW along with FSU ... then Miami is sucking hind *** as they say and will have to wait until "the next wave". Better for Miami with ND independent for another few years.

Advertisement
What are you're ultimate high level end result predictions for $/time as of today @TheOriginalCane @Ispyin @Hurracanes etc
The HUGE unknown at this time is the actual degree to which the MEDIA PARTNERS ... FOX / ESPN etc ... are involved in actually shaping the new conference make up reality. THEY are the drivers of realignment and it was commented clearly by several individuals that there would be no major changes on any nature announced until AFTER the CFP negotiations and new contract was finalized.

Like Josh Pate mentioned two weeks ago in a podcast he did on future realignment " EVERYTHING IS BEING DISCUSSED, many possibilities are on the table, and the changes will be seismic". So what is coming down the pike in the near future will not be a traditional "USC to the B10" type of change, it is highly likely that a lot of it will be the result of MEDIA PARTNER horse trading. They have the power to facilitate that ... the ACC can be blown up as far a conference affiliation for the 24 season, the media partners can agree to a broadcast format to cover all scheduled games, and during the course of the season schools that have P2 potential ... make / get P2 commitments ... some head to the B12 ... and some might remain in a restructured ACC of sorts, backfilling with some G5 programs.

We are really entering uncharted waters and there are hints all over the place that this could happen prior to the 2024 season. Wild and speculative? Yes. Feasible? Quien Sabe.

Disagree ... a scheduling agreement with Nd / B10 would be a start in the right direction and once the CFP regulations become tighter ... as they will ... a conference affiliation with the P2 is going to be an outright requirement ... then they can join. It's a win / win. If they choose to join NOW along with FSU ... then Miami is sucking hind *** as they say and will have to wait until "the next wave". Better for Miami with ND independent for another few years.

Why do you think the CFP regulations will become tighter and require conference affiliation? People seem to bend over backwards for Notre Dame, I don't see anything that would force that to change. If anything, these latest CFP discussions made it EASIER to stay independent for ND because they got all sorts of carve-outs.

Can we start an "National Independent Conference" with ND, Stanford, USC, Duke and any others.
Set a standard annual handout with 8 game intraconference game commitment.... and allow each school negotiate their own broadcast/streaming rights with whomever they want.

I wonder if you could go back and do this realignment all over, knowing what we know now, if the schools that went to the SEC/BIG10, or are going, would have just started their own conference.

Oklahoma
Texas
USC
Oregon
Washington
UCLA
Clemson
FSU
Miami
UNC
Notre Dame

Honestly, I didn’t really think about it, though I know what you’re saying because I’m just so ******* sick of every single topic and desire to feed the outrage machine happening that I try to ignore it when I come here - except though when somebody else like earlier in this thread, interjects it. Then I just won’t leave it alone.

we could certainly go into a whole dissertation about what you’re saying in a completely different way than some might think I might go but let’s stay on topic and just say that there is essentially no difference between ESPN & fox - they’re just out to make money which is actually their job and fiduciary responsibility to shareholders - regardless of what anybody personally feels about them. And as part of that job, they have audiences that they cater to - but it doesn’t have to be consistent across channels or business units.
I agree. I just find it funny when the *****ing, moaning and groaning, complaining and outrage comes with an asterisk. Its always justified..
*unless its the other side doing it.

Advertisement

That is a **** ton of Engineers.

Oh **** off, you whine and complain every time there is an ACCURATE assessment of "the south", where I have lived for over 50 years. You always try to act like I'm some carpetbagger, but I'm not.

We did not "turn down" the SEC. We were given an impossible time-frame to make a decision, and the SEC knew it. That's why they were able to pivot to South Carolina so quickly (the next ******* day), they knew Miami couldn't give an answer within their timeframe.

"Turned down". Hilarious.

"You're still waiting for my predictions to come true". Sure. And when they do, you'll disappear. But I see you got a couple of upvotes from a pair of Miami-hating dip****s, so GOOD FOR YOU.

There's a lot of projection thrown from you in that post much like that **** coming from that dog's *** in your avatar. Which that's a perfect one for you because most of the stuff you post is dog****.

Regardless of where you lived you can still have terrible **** opinions. Which exactly is what your so called assessment is. I've lived in multiple places over my 45 years with a good portion also being in "the south" so I know first hand the **** stereotype narrative you're repeating to try and paint a whole ******* region in a bad light. In addition, it has nothing to do why the SEC doesn't have us on top of their expansion list.

I'll be here regardless of your predictions coming true or not. Been here longer than your *** so not concerned. I won't hold my breath though as it's already not looking good with your *** scrambling and back tracking. Regardless I hope you're right honestly because I just want what's best for Miami.

I'm not concerned with upvotes. Maybe they just like someone calling your *** out for the nonsense you post sometimes.

Advertisement
Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that if fans want to watch the SEC, which is comprised of southern states, they have to go to Disney owned ESPN. And to watch the B1G, which covers the northeast and west coast, they have to go to Fox?

1712081941220.png

But none of those schools is Miami, with 5 national titles and 9 title appearences in the last 40 years. Stanford is a phenomenal school, but the Big Ten already passed on them once.

Duke (IF IF IF football continues to improve). - well I have to take a shot here, it's too much of a layup. They hired Manny Diaz, so we can guarantee that their football will NOT continue to improve. We have experience here, we know. I pity Duke.

I have to keep reminding people outside of the Miami sphere that if they're 40 years old, Miami has played in fully a QUARTER of every national championship ever played in their lifetime. **** near, anyway. We've earned to be in that conversation with the Alabamas, Oklahomas, Nebraskas and Notre Dames of the world as a true blue blood dynasty program.

Luckily for us, while the majority of message board and twitter idiots are under 30, the vast majority of TV execs, conference commissioners, university presidents, and bigwigs around college football are over 40 and "The U" brand pulls a lot of weight with them. The people who matter are over 40, and they remember seeing a lot of Miami in championship games.

Agreed.

On your first paragraph, I would just add that the Big 10 wanted Stanford/Cal, and Fox told them to take Washington/Oregon.

Is it really? Then I learned something today, I always thought it was private. It looks so small.

Yessir.

Growing up, a bunch of my friends' dads worked for Martin Marietta in Orlando, and were GaTech alums. GaTech was on my short list of schools to apply to (I started at UM as an Engineering student before flipping to Business).

I'd also say that when UCF was "FTU" (Florida Tech), it was much smaller. Now it's the second largest (by enrollment) university in the country.

Last edited:
What are you're ultimate high level end result predictions for $/time as of today @TheOriginalCane @Ispyin @Hurracanes etc

If we EVER get off our asses and file our own lawsuit as a prelude to exit negotiatons, then I'd expect a number somewhere between $50M and $100M. And I think Miami would be happy to pay that, so long as there was nothing additional on the GOR "double penalties".

I have been told that there might be some Fox "interest-free-loan" money available, as there apparently was with the Pacific northwest schools. But that would just be facilitation money.

However, if we get the Magnificent Seven/Elite Eight moving in the same direction at the same time, it might break the ACC for good, and then we pay nothing. At least in exit fees. I'm sure there would be some costs associated with winding down the ACC, but it would be muclh less than $100M.

Advertisement
Back