MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
He is a clown operating in his basement ... he and Genetics have been in a ****ing match for a couple of years. Twitter warriors both. If you want to listen to a legit JOURNALIST on Youtube ... Josh Pate is the guy. He is an actual professional journalist, was a news and sports anchor on an affiliate in Nashville and has built quite a following in the coaching community and media community.

Pate discussed his acc power rankings a few weeks back, and had UM ranked 4th behind FSU, Clemson, and NC State. This is after getting Cam Ward. I curious if you agree with his assessment that as of right now, NC St is a better program than Miami.

Advertisement
I said this to someone in message, if you are the B10 and we are having these conversations with Rudy leading the charge, then Rad says that, does the B10 wonder whether we are aligned and serious? There were all sorts of discussions about the university leadership rowing in different directions when Epstein and company were making their own statements, but Rad is essentially doing the same thing, assuming we are in discussions quietly. He needs to have the microphone taken away, especially if the drivers are above him.

With that said, at a certain point when you approve new conference members, approve the meeting to file the counter-suit, make this comment (and others), it becomes hard to think we are not on the outside looking in. 9 times out of 10 the simplest and most obvious explanation is the correct one. Here, that is we do not have a P2 landing spot and it takes some mental gymnastics to get to any other end point.
I don't think what Dan is saying in public has any bearing on what our actual position on realignment is. The Big 10 knows we're serious because of the discussions we've had with them. FSU and Clemson are already fighting the ACC, and there's no reason for us to get involved especially when those two suits will guide the way once they're settled/ruled on. The litigation could also take years. We're stuck in the conference until then. It's not just about being cautious, it's also about us getting nothing substantive out of taking a shot at the conference.

Also, per Jim Ryan (the UVA President; in a sworn affidavit) all conference members other than FSU agreed to hold that meeting on the countersuit (that includes Clemson and UNC). There's no proof that we voted for the countersuit. It's also been noted on here multiple times that our decision to vote for expansion isn't related to our own realignment discussions. Cal and Stanford are AAU schools and played a big part in getting us an invite to the association.

This isn't to say that we have a formal invite to the Big 10 or anything like that. As far as I know, we don't at the moment. I personally think we'll end up in the Big 10 due to our brand, market, and TV potential (which would be greatly helped by a solid 2024 season). I just think too often on this board, since things have sucked for twenty years, the default is always the worst case scenario. When in reality there isn't much evidence pointing in either direction right now. It boils down to us not having filed a suit, and the public statements we've made about the ACC. That's it. I can make just as good of an argument for us getting an invite as I can for us not getting one.

Pate discussed his acc power rankings a few weeks back, and had UM ranked 4th behind FSU, Clemson, and NC State. This is after getting Cam Ward. I curious if you agree with his assessment that as of right now, NC St is a better program than Miami.
I agree with Pate's assessment. The fact is that NCST is 17-9 over the past three seasons. Meanwhile, Miami is 12-13 over the same period. I think with Ward we have a higher ceiling than any other team in the ACC (elite QB play elevates all), but it's reasonable to have us at #4. We've underperformed for the past twenty years. Better to underrate a team than overrate it. Won't be a miss on his part if he puts us at #4 and we finally over perform and end up higher.

The only comment I heard Josh make was that he believed that NC State could be "the sleeper" candidate to play for the ACC Championship. He showed the pre season odds / rankings that had Miami behind Clemson and FSU.

Advertisement
One thing I was thinking, and tinfoil hat on here, there's been no news (unless I've missed it) on the new Football Operations Center that was announced in late 2022/early 2023. I know it's been speculated that we're focusing more on NIL, but perhaps we're trying to save to dry powder given the inflection point of the ACC 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if with this new partnership of the Big 10 and SEC does that mean the SEC would let the Big 10 get a foothold in Florida with FSU. Or will the SEC fight for FSU and a stronger foothold in Florida than the Big 10.

If FSU goes to the SEC it basically guarantees our spot in the Big 10.

Flo his last 2 shows has said we are now in the Big 2 conversation and we have a spot secured as of now which occurred recently. Could it be the SEC wants FSU and Clemson now leaving us the opening for the Big 10?

That SEC schedule for 2025 def points to them expanding in 2026... didnt the commissioner for the SEC say that in 2025 they would play 9 conference games but nwo theyre back to 8? Something is brewing with the SEC imo.

I agree with Pate's assessment. The fact is that NCST is 17-9 over the past three seasons. Meanwhile, Miami is 12-13 over the same period. I think with Ward we have a higher ceiling than any other team in the ACC (elite QB play elevates all), but it's reasonable to have us at #4. We've underperformed for the past twenty years. Better to underrate a team than overrate it. Won't be a miss on his part if he puts us at #4 and we finally over perform and end up higher.

A higher ceiling?

We were told on this very board by the staunchest MariBros that we were a QB away…

Well we got two…

So we best be fuccin!!!

I wonder if with this new partnership of the Big 10 and SEC does that mean the SEC would let the Big 10 get a foothold in Florida with FSU. Or will the SEC fight for FSU and a stronger foothold in Florida than the Big 10.

If FSU goes to the SEC it basically guarantees our spot in the Big 10.

Flo his last 2 shows has said we are now in the Big 2 conversation and we have a spot secured as of now which occurred recently. Could it be the SEC wants FSU and Clemson now leaving us the opening for the Big 10?

That SEC schedule for 2025 def points to them expanding in 2026... didnt the commissioner for the SEC say that in 2025 they would play 9 conference games but nwo theyre back to 8? Something is brewing with the SEC imo.
Pete Thamel said on the CGD Podcast yesterday that Florida is vehemently against adding FSU to the SEC (already known), but that Auburn and Georgia are also pretty against it too. South Carolina is vehemently against adding Clemson. Thamel also said in a prior podcast that the SEC isn't gung ho about adding FSU, but that the Big 10 making serious overtures to them would probably change their perspective.

Advertisement
Compare what Rad just said with the UNC Chancellor said.

"It's a moment of extreme flux for college sports, possibly the greatest moment of instability that we've seen in a long time. It's going to be important for the leadership at Carolina, not just me but everyone involved, to make sure that when the dust settles Carolina's better off."

Thats not remotely close to something that will get UNC sued, but it tells the ACC (and worried fans) that the school is going to do what it has to do to survive.
What did Rad say? I’m sorry this thread has a lot going and I’m not getting through it all

Pete Thamel said on the CGD Podcast yesterday that Florida is vehemently against adding FSU to the SEC (already known), but that Auburn and Georgia are also pretty against it too. South Carolina is vehemently against adding Clemson. Thamel also said in a prior podcast that the SEC isn't gung ho about adding FSU, but that the Big 10 making serious overtures to them would probably change their perspective.
FSU fans are for the most part convinced "we goin to the Big 10". I spoke with a lady in a small town just west of Tallahassee on Tuesday. She had a brother that played for FSU back in the 80's, and currently has a nephew and son on the FSU roster. She said "we're going to the Big 10 and Clemson can't go because they don't have some thing that the Big 10 requires". I said ... "oh that is the AAC accreditation, and FSU doesn't have that either, but Miami does", and she basically spit out "I hate Miami, and I hope they die on the vine". Very passionate, but she had no idea what AAU was, only that not having "some thing" was keeping Clemson out of the B10. Fact is nobody knows outside of the AD of each school perhaps, and they aren't talking.

FSU fans are for the most part convinced "we goin to the Big 10". I spoke with a lady in a small town just west of Tallahassee on Tuesday. She had a brother that played for FSU back in the 80's, and currently has a nephew and son on the FSU roster. She said "we're going to the Big 10 and Clemson can't go because they don't have some thing that the Big 10 requires". I said ... "oh that is the AAC accreditation, and FSU doesn't have that either, but Miami does", and she basically spit out "I hate Miami, and I hope they die on the vine". Very passionate, but she had no idea what AAU was, only that not having "some thing" was keeping Clemson out of the B10. Fact is nobody knows outside of the AD of each school perhaps, and they aren't talking.

Each of the schools ADs and CIS posters 800+ pages in

Advertisement
I don't think what Dan is saying in public has any bearing on what our actual position on realignment is. The Big 10 knows we're serious because of the discussions we've had with them. FSU and Clemson are already fighting the ACC, and there's no reason for us to get involved especially when those two suits will guide the way once they're settled/ruled on. The litigation could also take years. We're stuck in the conference until then. It's not just about being cautious, it's also about us getting nothing substantive out of taking a shot at the conference.

Also, per Jim Ryan (the UVA President; in a sworn affidavit) all conference members other than FSU agreed to hold that meeting on the countersuit (that includes Clemson and UNC). There's no proof that we voted for the countersuit. It's also been noted on here multiple times that our decision to vote for expansion isn't related to our own realignment discussions. Cal and Stanford are AAU schools and played a big part in getting us an invite to the association.

This isn't to say that we have a formal invite to the Big 10 or anything like that. As far as I know, we don't at the moment. I personally think we'll end up in the Big 10 due to our brand, market, and TV potential (which would be greatly helped by a solid 2024 season). I just think too often on this board, since things have sucked for twenty years, the default is always the worst case scenario. When in reality there isn't much evidence pointing in either direction right now. It boils down to us not having filed a suit, and the public statements we've made about the ACC. That's it. I can make just as good of an argument for us getting an invite as I can for us not getting one.
There’s just as much conjecture in your thoughts if not more. The reality is we don’t know what’s going on, and for good reason but Rad has made the same stupid statement multiple times, so at what point do you believe him.

My sole point is less is more if that is your strategy. If we are not filing suit and are not trying to be the bull in the china shop, then either don’t speak at all or say “we are constantly evaluating as the landscape changes” (pretty much what UNC said). Rad’s comments served zero purpose and were, candidly, asinine.

What did Rad say? I’m sorry this thread has a lot going and I’m not getting through it all

"It's a moment of extreme flux for college sports, possibly the greatest moment of instability that we've seen in a long time. It's going to be important for the leadership at Carolina, not just me but everyone involved, to make sure that when the dust settles Carolina's better off." - UNC Chancellor Roberts (Dec 23)

“Here at the University of Miami we are incredibly solid with the ACC. It’s a great conference, provides great structure, access to the college football playoff which is very, very important. We look at our circumstances here with a very orange and green set of glasses saying are we in a good spot, growing our football program.
We’ve invested in it, brought Mario (Cristobal) here, he’s establishing an incredible foundation. What’s the opportunity for us here with things under our control to be able to move this thing forward? The ACC is still one of the Power Four conferences that are part of the college football playoff, a very active and vibrant member of that Power Four. We are very proud to be a part of that, a leading brand within in the ACC and will continue to be a part of it.” - Rad (today)

Advertisement
Back