MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

The opener against UF is huge and this is the season we need to start beating FSU again. ACC Championship win is a necessity. Was listening to Josh Pate and he is hinting that it is highly likely that ESPN will not choose to extend (whether that extension option is even legal today is another issue), and the ACC will be in a complete free fall ... with ESPN moving 4 or more to the SEC while a few head to the B10. I just wish that Radacovitch was more "neutral" in his public comments than strongly supportive of the ACC, which has shown to be a trash conference that has been operated with little or no regard for the member schools.
Agreed they need to start winning, but not sure one strong season will quell any doubts. ACC Championship is a necessity?

Advertisement
Agreed they need to start winning, but not sure one strong season will quell any doubts. ACC Championship is a necessity?
One strong season may not move the needle competitively, but look at 2017 and how much TV coverage we got when we actually won. Now do that with a fun QB of Ward's caliber. Show conferences—and, more importantly, networks—the value of a strong Miami to ratings, then yeah, one year could make a huge difference. Though I think everyone knows the eyes Miami draws. That's why I don't buy we wouldn't have a spot somewhere; Miami is good for TV.

War Omg GIF by Bombay Softwares

Advertisement
Yet these same conferences have no problem carrying crap like Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and other schools that can't, nor will ever have any kind of significant success in football. UCLA hasn't been relevant in football for almost 35 years, and their basketball program is very hit and miss at this point. Explain why the B1G let them in. Northwestern is historically bad in EVERYTHING.

Let's keep it real. None of this is about competitive balance. It's about money, and even though Miami has been mediocre for the last two decades, we're still a valuable sports property in both eyeballs and interest. That said, who knows what will happen. The SEC may take FSU and Clemson, and the B1G may not expand. The SEC may not take anyone, same with the B1G, leaving everyone to create new conferences. Who knows?
Just because they were grandfathered in - been conference members for decades. I think those schools will begin to be relegated out by the TV networks in the next TV contract to add space for more relevant schools. As far as UCLA, they took them on because USC wouldn't come by themselves.

Totally agree it's all about money. The conferences have ceded control of the sport to the TV networks.

One strong season may not move the needle competitively, but look at 2017 and how much TV coverage we got when we actually won. Now do that with a fun QB of Ward's caliber. Show conferences—and, more importantly, networks—the value of a strong Miami to ratings, then yeah, one year could make a huge difference. Though I think everyone knows the eyes Miami draws. That's why I don't buy we wouldn't have a spot somewhere; Miami is good
True. I was just saying that I think an ACC Championship being a necessity is a bit of hyperbole. If the Canes win 10 games, I think that would go a long way toward quelling any doubts.

Just because they were grandfathered in - been conference members for decades. I think those schools will begin to be relegated out by the TV networks in the next TV contract to add space for more relevant schools. As far as UCLA, they took them on because USC wouldn't come by themselves.

Totally agree it's all about money. The conferences have ceded control of the sport to the TV networks.
Exactly, it's about money. Even though TV markets aren't nearly as important to those making the decisions as it was a decade ago, it also doesn't make sense to have brands like Miami sitting on the outside looking in. I can't wait to see what happens when Northwestern and Vanderbilt get relegated, that's going to be an epic court battle, because those schools have the resources to tie the conference up for a very long time.

Exactly, it's about money. Even though TV markets aren't nearly as important to those making the decisions as it was a decade ago, it also doesn't make sense to have brands like Miami sitting on the outside looking in. I can't wait to see what happens when Northwestern and Vanderbilt get relegated, that's going to be an epic court battle, because those schools have the resources to tie the conference up for a very long time.
I recently had this conversation with a buddy. Would either of the Big 2 conference kick out the small guys to get better brands in there? Vanderbilt brings nothing to the SEC. Northwestern has at least been competitive in the B1G.

Advertisement
“Here at the University of Miami we are incredibly solid with the ACC. It’s a great conference, provides great structure, access to the college football playoff which is very, very important. We look at our circumstances here with a very orange and green set of glasses saying are we in a good spot, growing our football program? We’ve invested in it, brought Mario (Cristobal) here, he’s establishing an incredible foundation. What’s the opportunity for us here with things under our control to be able to move this thing forward? The ACC is still one of the Power Four conferences that are part of the college football playoff, a very active and vibrant member of that Power Four. We are very proud to be a part of that, a leading brand within in the ACC and will continue to be a part of it.” - Radakovich earlier

‘Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.’​

True. I was just saying that I think an ACC Championship being a necessity is a bit of hyperbole. If the Canes win 10 games, I think that would go a long way toward quelling any doubts.
You mean that Miami shouldn't be able to win the ACC for the first time in in't history? It is about time. Look at the schedule .... incredibly weak. Only two games that stand out are Louisville and FSU.

It's going to take a LOT to remove the stink of the loss to MTSU, Ga Tech, Rutgers. So far Mario has shown that he is capable of losing to anybody, not that he is capable of beating anybody. It's year 3 and he has arguably the best QB that Miami has had in 20 years. Win, no excuses.

One strong season may not move the needle competitively, but look at 2017 and how much TV coverage we got when we actually won. Now do that with a fun QB of Ward's caliber. Show conferences—and, more importantly, networks—the value of a strong Miami to ratings, then yeah, one year could make a huge difference. Though I think everyone knows the eyes Miami draws. That's why I don't buy we wouldn't have a spot somewhere; Miami is good for TV.
I think we have like 3 or 4 of the most watched games of all time

I recently had this conversation with a buddy. Would either of the Big 2 conference kick out the small guys to get better brands in there? Vanderbilt brings nothing to the SEC. Northwestern has at least been competitive in the B1G.
They aren't kicking anybody out. Only way that they don't continue is if IN THE FUTURE a totally new "NFL lite" college conference is formed. Invitation only.

Advertisement
"We're incredibly solid with the ACC"...until FSU and Clemson are gone. Then we're not.

I agree it was completely unnecessary, but also know not to believe what people say in public. As another tweet said, no need to risk a countersuit from the ACC right now. Let FSU and Clemson do the dirty work and set precedent and then follow suit. If they are stuck, Miami is now favored more in the conference. If they get out, they have legal precedent to follow.

This honestly sounded like when coaches ask recruits to send out messages of their commitment, regardless of how solid they are with their commitment. You best believe once the conference starts losing their top "recruits," others will bail. Just ask UF and FSU how it works.

I just can't believe, especially coming from Clemson, this is how he truly feels. I can't believe he doesn't understand the implications—financially and competitively—if the FSU/Clemson bail and we get stuck.

––––

PS, Genetics knows nothing. He changes his tune every 24 hours based on the latest report or quote.
There are many ways to skin this cat, but all he had to say is "no comment" or "like everyone, we are monitoring the situation." Knowing how every word is being dissected (acknowledging it is irrelevant for realignment purposes), there is absolutely no reason nor anything to gain by saying a word more than that.

Northwestern has been mediocre at best for most of the last 20 years, keep in mind, that's their best run of success EVER. Basketball has come a long way, but they are still mediocre more often than not. Compare that to adding a legit brand like Miami, Notre Dame or someone else.

Problem is ... it has been SO long since Miami had any consistently good football. One 10 win season in 20 years while FSU had 10.
If you look at the MOST WATCHED COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAMES IN HISTORY Miami is well represented ... but it was long ago.

Of the top 13 games in history (that is the list I found)

#4. 1993 Miami vs Alabama 30 million viewers (Sugar Bowl)
#5. 1995 Miami vs Nebraska 30 million viewers (Orange Bowl)
#7. 2003 Miami vs Ohio State 29.1 million viewers (Fiesta Bowl)

The top game was in 2006 and had 35.6 million viewers Rose Bowl between Texas and USC.

Advertisement
You mean that Miami shouldn't be able to win the ACC for the first time in in't history? It is about time. Look at the schedule .... incredibly weak. Only two games that stand out are Louisville and FSU.

It's going to take a LOT to remove the stink of the loss to MTSU, Ga Tech, Rutgers. So far Mario has shown that he is capable of losing to anybody, not that he is capable of beating anybody. It's year 3 and he has arguably the best QB that Miami has had in 20 years. Win, no excuses.
Where did I say that Miami "shouldn't" win the ACC? I'm saying ACC championship being a necessity for Miami to get membership in the P2 is a bit over the top IMO.

Problem is ... it has been SO long since Miami had any consistently good football. One 10 win season in 20 years while FSU had 10.
If you look at the MOST WATCHED COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAMES IN HISTORY Miami is well represented ... but it was long ago.

Of the top 13 games in history (that is the list I found)

#4. 1993 Miami vs Alabama 30 million viewers (Sugar Bowl)
#5. 1995 Miami vs Nebraska 30 million viewers (Orange Bowl)
#7. 2003 Miami vs Ohio State 29.1 million viewers (Fiesta Bowl)

The top game was in 2006 and had 35.6 million viewers Rose Bowl between Texas and USC.
2017 season we had top 5 most watched game in the country almost every single week from late Sept on.

Advertisement
Back