MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

This is one of the very few media reports on all of this that is worth reading imo
Interesting you mention that because as I read it, hardly mentions Miami at all.

So either Miami is an NPC in this video game or is...

Wm0HkrQMk4uAM.gif

Advertisement
I don't have time to look through 794 pages to see if this has been discussed, so I pose it here - is Miami going independent again a completely impossible scenario or can we do that for a while? In theory, assuming we continue to build and become a regular top 15 team, we could be that OOC game for a lot of these P2 teams, sort of like what ND has done.

If the independent thing was possible financially, we could do that for a few years and hopefully win enough games to become valuable enough to the P2 that we finally choose one to land in. I'd prefer that to going B12.

Any experts wanna weigh in and tell me why it is or isn't possible?
Then you aren't committed like the rest of us.

Join us in insanity or be banished!

🤣

I'd say that's a pretty good guess. Frenk and/or the board has delegated big athletics decisions to him in the past (hiring Rad and Mario for example), and this is equally impactful.

Would also say that because Miami is private, we can move in silence much more than FSU or Clemson for example. Every university would prefer to keep quiet on realignment if they could, but for the public ones, it's much harder. In Miami's case, there are no sunshine laws to worry about... they don't apply. FSU was vocal because they had to be per sunshine laws.

There's no state university system to worry about. UNC is leaking info because they have a board that governs both them and NC State, and the rest of the Carolina universities.

Miami doesn't have any state politics to worry about. There's no meddling AG like Virginia has. There's no state legislature up for election that will use us as a pawn to get votes.

UM doesn't have to worry about anyone except UM. We can keep the circle tight in a way that other schools just can't do.
+100

Our actions will tell us where we stand. When (hoping its "when" and not "if") we file suit and/or take a stand, that will tell everyone we have a landing spot. Silence doesn't mean we don't have one today, but it does mean for whatever reason (liability, strategy, diplomacy, etc.), we are not ready to make our intentions public.

So the specific deal I just laid out you would think is bad? Basically making BIG10/SEC money in a weaker conference that has an auto-bid?
it is horrible in so many ways because while this is definitely about money, it isn't only about money. Have fun Recruiting against the SEC and B1G perception-wise when we already know some recruits, even in NIL era want those other conferences perception wise- now lose Clemson, FSU and geographic proximity for- KANSAS! EXCITING! Good luck getting fans in the stadium when your biggest conference game "rival" is against (checks notes) UCF or maybe the other so-called U (Utah).

None of this is purely one thing. Miami needing to get out is multilayered. Miami being attractive to others is multilayered. it's not just "market". it's like 10 other things, not of equal value, but primarily about "matchups/rivalries/national eyeballs/brand"

Advertisement
+100

Our actions will tell us where we stand. When (hoping its "when" and not "if") we file suit and/or take a stand, that will tell everyone we have a landing spot. Silence doesn't mean we don't have one today, but it does mean for whatever reason (liability, strategy, diplomacy, etc.), we are not ready to make our intentions public.

So to sum up 796 pages, the consensus is that ACC is dying or dead and on the way to the morgue.

Borderline Impossible. Not guessing. To do so would be worse at the moment than staying acc most likely. You’d have no leverage in negotiating tv deals. Would get paid but not worth it. There is a reason there are few left and only one is that way out or pure financial choice and opportunity
Confident in saying that Lake doesn't know a thing about what Miami is actually doing to position itself in conference realignment. Take a look at his perspective on this:

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 1.06.01 PM.png

The fact that a supposedly informed and "connected" CFB writer's perception of what we're doing is based on public facing actions (e.g., filing a lawsuit, leaking, etc.) is surprising in all the wrong ways. It goes to show that he has absolutely no idea whatsoever what's actually going on behind the scenes. The above is what a guy with no sources would say.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, since Mario took the job in December 2021, Miami FB is run through a very very tight information ecosystem. The leaking that occurred under prior coaches is not present today. There are only a few people in the media, definitely none of the Miami beat writers, that actually have an idea/info on what's really going on. Also, will say that a common tactic for writers that want info is to write something provocative, and hope you have someone in the know ****ed off enough about it to try and correct it. That's not gonna happen here.

This isn't to say that we're on the glide path to the Big 10 or anything like that, but to say that we're not being proactive on the single most important big picture issue in CFB is laughable.

Advertisement
I'll say this again, Miami is not going to telegraph any of its moves.

Think back to the last big move Miami made: hiring Mario in December 2021. Miami and Mario's people were already talking in October 2021, nearly two months before the job was officially open. Remember, when the job opened, you had people in the national media saying that Miami couldn't financially compete with Oregon or pony up the money to bring in Mario or meet his requirements. These were people that said they were in the know. Josh Pate was one of the most prominent actually, and I believe he said something to the tune of Miami would ask Mario, he'd ask for a lot of $$$, and Miami would have to run away with its tail between its legs because We couldn't afford him. And look what happened, we hired him. Other than a handful of people , nobody else in the media had any idea what was going on.

Same thing with the Cam Ward situation. After his draft announcement, the Media said it was over for us. Low and behold, he announces he's committed to us two weeks later.

Point is, again, the FB program is operating a very tight information ecosystem.

Confident in saying that Lake doesn't know a thing about what Miami is actually doing to position itself in conference realignment. Take a look at his perspective on this:

View attachment 284955
The fact that a supposedly informed and "connected" CFB writer's perception of what we're doing is based on public facing actions (e.g., filing a lawsuit, leaking, etc.) is surprising in all the wrong ways. It goes to show that he has absolutely no idea whatsoever what's actually going on behind the scenes. The above is what a guy with no sources would say.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, since Mario took the job in December 2021, Miami FB is run through a very very tight information ecosystem. The leaking that occurred under prior coaches is not present today. There are only a few people in the media, definitely none of the Miami beat writers, that actually have an idea/info on what's really going on. Also, will say that a common tactic for writers that want info is to write something provocative, and hope you have someone in the know ****ed off enough about it to try and correct it. That's not gonna happen here.

This isn't to say that we're on the glide path to the Big 10 or anything like that, but to say that we're not being proactive on the single most important big picture issue in CFB is laughable.
He doesn’t and that’s not a shot. I understand him saying Miami needs a kick in the *** because if you are basically not leaking news then the only thing you have Is public statements and small actions, none of which mean anything in the end as history says over and over again despite one action not always corresponding to what follows.

I get it because it’s reasonable to surmise that, for example, Miami voting to allow Stanford and cal in means to some Miami doesn’t have a spot while others voting against do. I can make other arguments about why it doesn’t ******* matter once you knew you couldn’t dissolve the conference vote wise at the time it didn’t matter and protected people you still might like, or thank schools that voted for your aau with a lifeboat, etc but if you are in the boat that Miami will blow this, which I also understand after 20 years of complete and total incompetence, I’m not gonna be able to change your mind until I’m sitting here drinking tea with Receipts. We shall see.

Advertisement
So I think this is absolute bulls*** but....

If Miami went to the BIG12 and said, "You need a big brand to legitimize your conference. I will join but only under the condition that you pay me the exact amount the highest earner in the BIG10 or SEC make, and if they earn more in following years you adjust our contract accordingly", how would we feel about that?
I would never watch another down of Miami Hurricanes football again

Advertisement
Also, as a UVA Alum, I'd be remiss if I didn't say that there's no way in **** that UVA would get into the Big 10 before we do. UVA's bigtime donors and leaders in Admin could not possibly give less of a **** about the football program. They do not care. They are fine with 6-6 being the goal year-to-year. The baseball and basketball programs are solid and can be elite at the national level, and UVA is an overall better sports school than Virginia Tech.

If adding UVA is solely based on region and adding a Virginia team to the Big 10 infinity gauntlet, it makes sense. But all the other metrics (especially the ones that the TV networks care about) aren't there. It's the equivalent of adding a Vanderbilt to your conference.

Advertisement
Back