MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

@PIPO @WaterburyCane @RVACane @ben @Felonious Monk @JD08 @*****-Wan Kanobi @Brains @ddann

Meees thinks these nexts fews months willz turns intos a meme golden era for CIS.

Thats whats meees thinks.

Game fuggalugga on.

😀
We Ready GIF

Advertisement
Ohhh ****

This is pretty much what I said yesterday about what was likely to happen.

The espn contract and GOR are likely enforceable because Phillips had apparent authority, and as the agent of the acc, bound his principal to the deal. All the acc schools know this, which is the main reason why the schools didn't include espn as a co-defendant. The slam dunk cause of action is against the acc for violating the bylaws. That doesn't void the deal with ESPN and automatically get them out of the GOR, but it gives them massive leverage against the acc in a lawsuit.

Non-football schools will circle wagons to figure out a way to keep the acc together. See BC, Syracuse etc meeting. Check.

Each school that wants out will have to sue the acc individually because the non football schools like the deal and won't join a lawsuit. Check.

So far it's FSU and Clemson. Both teams know they can get in the SEC, and espn wont sue the conference for breach of contract. Those schools know the acc broke its own rules, they could sue the acc for hundreds of millions in potentially lost revenue, so the acc will settle with them for probably a 300 million buyout.

As it stands, espn has more than enough justification to file a lawsuit against the acc and the the acc teams trying to leave for breach of contract by anticipatory repudiation (allowed under Florida contract law). Basically it's a lawsuit by a non breaching party ahead of a potential breach when the other party has made clear indications it will breach the contract. Clemson and FSU have clearly said they are planning on leaving the acc. Espn hasn't sued because it is fine with a couple of acc teams going to the SEC, as it can still make money from them. If it thought FSU and Clemson were headed the B1G, espn would be suing the sh#t out of the acc right now.

All proceeding as I expected.

The espn contract and GOR are likely enforceable because Phillips had apparent authority, and as the agent of the acc, bound his principal to the deal. All the acc schools know this, which is the main reason why the schools didn't include espn as a co-defendant. The slam dunk cause of action is against the acc for violating the bylaws. That doesn't void the deal with ESPN and automatically get them out of the GOR, but it gives them massive leverage against the acc in a lawsuit.

Non-football schools will circle wagons to figure out a way to keep the acc together. See BC, Syracuse etc meeting. Check.

Each school that wants out will have to sue the acc individually because the non football schools like the deal and won't join a lawsuit. Check.

So far it's FSU and Clemson. Both teams know they can get in the SEC, and espn wont sue the conference for breach of contract. Those schools know the acc broke its own rules, they could sue the acc for hundreds of millions in potentially lost revenue, so the acc will settle with them for probably a 300 million buyout.

As it stands, espn has more than enough justification to file a lawsuit against the acc and the the acc teams trying to leave for breach of contract by anticipatory repudiation (allowed under Florida contract law). Basically it's a lawsuit by a non breaching party ahead of a potential breach when the other party has made clear indications it will breach the contract. Clemson and FSU have clearly said they are planning on leaving the acc. Espn hasn't sued because it is fine with a couple of acc teams going to the SEC, as it can still make money from them. If it thought FSU and Clemson were headed the B1G, espn would be suing the sh#t out of the acc right now.

I wanna play. Let’s assume hypothetically Miami has a spot with the B1G and it too files suit against the ACC raising similar contentions.

Does ESPN sue the conference for breach of contract knowing Miami (and potentially others) are going to FOX? Can ESPN selectively enforce its rights or are they estopped from suing Miami because of inaction against F$U and Clemson? If the latter, then I would say Miami played this perfectly.

Advertisement

So basically ACC takes the ***** gauntlet and likes it.

Check.

Not going to lie, this ****es me off if true, even if at the end of the day it doesn't matter- but being fair who knows that it isn't signaling something.

There’s other dynamics involved, plus who do you think is leaking these details
View attachment 284886

ACC's lack of self-awareness is impressive.

Jim Phillips is a POS that is not qualified for his role.

Good look to him “commissioner-ing” Wake Forest, Duke and BC and see what type of comp structure he is left with when the real schools leave

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not going to lie, this ****es me off if true, even if at the end of the day it doesn't matter- but being fair who knows that it isn't signaling something.

EDIT: I think this is more about agreeing to have a meeting to find out what the **** was going on then voting - but we shall see.

See, I haven't been trolling. There is a lot of wishful thinking about us leaving the ACC, but when you look at the voting record it should make clear where we are. UM voted to let in 3 new members while FSU, Clemson, UNC voted against. Before the info came out about the votes, everyone swore UM was going to be one of the teams that blocked the move because it would make ACC dissolution much harder. Then we found out that UM voted with the majority of the ACC to allow two California teams and a Texas team into the conference. People bent over backwards to justify it: Rad was pressured by Frenk, the ghost of Donna Shalala possessed him, Rad is playing 8D chess, etc. Or we can dispense with the rationalization and consider the simplest reason- he voted for it because he is trying to preserve the ACC.

Now we find out that UM voted with 5 others to approve the lawsuit against FSU. If people are able to take off the orange and green shades, they should be able to see the reality of the situation. UM likely doesn't have a SEC invite right now so UM is not in a good position to leave the ACC in the next couple of years. As it stands, we're not going to file a lawsuit in an effort to try to join the B1G (Fox Sports), because ESPN would sue the conference and would likely prevail. However, if we somehow convince the SEC to let us join, ESPN will be on board and then we'll file a lawsuit against the ACC as well. Let's hope we have friends in the South.

Advertisement

Is there any advantage to adding another lawsuit if the outcome of the cases already in motion would basically dissolve the ACC?

I mean, the reality is with FSU and Clemson leaving the ACC the deal the league has with ESPN actually becomes a bad deal. They'd be more inclined to let the contract dissolve and move the valuable parts into the SEC. That's why I think FSU and Clemson are SEC bound.

Advertisement
Back