MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

One comment was that the SEC is getting adamant about protecting the SEC territory and doesn't want to let the B10 in. That might mean they WILL take FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA. That would likely open the door for a Miami to the B10 along with ND. The only thing that seems certain at this point is that the status quo will not be maintained and the cream of the ACC will be plucked by the P2. And in most scenarios you see FSU, Clemson, Miami, ND, UNC as the prime VIEWER POTENTIAL properties, with a couple of others for "carriage fee" addition.
This seems like the most likely scenario to me, I think the 2 most likely outcomes are:
  1. SEC protects territory and takes a large group of ACC southern programs. A big grouping like Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, NCSt, UVA, & VT, to get to and rest at 24 teams. My reasoning is:
    • ESPN owns both conferences so ACC can't sue and say that ESPN is interfering with ACC.
    • It gains the SEC new territory without having to worry about local politicians preventing the moves in NC and VA.
    • You bring in a balance of powerhouses, brands, and more beatable programs to keep the conference competitive top to bottom.
    • Every addition fits the mold with adding and establishing natural rivalries, so even lower level matchups are interesting.
    • It doesn't hurt that it boosts the academic profile of the conference.
    • Travel distances are pretty manageable, about as good as it gets for expansion to 24 teams.
    • And to be honest, who else makes more sense for the SEC to grab to get to 24?
  2. Outcome 2 is the SEC goes for FSU and Clemson for brands and goes for VT and NCSt for territory. Call me crazy, but I don't think there's a scenario where UNC and UVA end up in the SEC unless they come packaged with their rival state schools, for multiple reasons. Regardless, if the SEC leaves southern ACC programs on the table, I think they become must-haves for the B1G. Miami, GT, UNC, UVA, and probably Duke would end up in the B1G in that scenario, with their hope of grabbing ND along the way.
I think Big12 is waiting for Pitt and Louisville, with SU and Duke having solid chances of getting invites as well, though I'd guess that Duke would seriously consider dropping football at that point rather than join, and park their basketball in a BB league. Cal and Stanford I think would hold their noses and accept Big12 invites at that point, SMU, BC, and Wake probably do some form of merger with AAC, similar to the Pac12/MWC situation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The acc is going to bring in UConn, Tulane, and a bunch of other schools to replace fsu, Clemson, UNC, and UVA. The espn deal says there have to be 15 schools or espn gets to renegotiate. It's funny that everyone thinks that espn isn't going to extend the deal in 2027 without FSU, Clemson, etc. People don't appreciate how egregiously lopsided the deal was in favor of espn. Even with a bunch of rando schools + Miami, the tv deal is still an incredible bargain for espn so they have millions of reasons to extend the deal. I look forward to our new rivalry with Tulane.

This happens and the domain CanesInSight.com will be available for $3

I’d honestly just stop watching football if we join the BIG 12 and are playing UCF and USF yearly

Bad News Nbc GIF by Law & Order

Advertisement
The more I read, the less I think ND is going anywhere. Their first option is to remain independent. It’s all about ego, pride and their old donors. Even though they’re the most desired team, they aren’t going anywhere until they have to.

This seems like the most likely scenario to me, I think the 2 most likely outcomes are:
  1. SEC protects territory and takes a large group of ACC southern programs. A big grouping like Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, NCSt, UVA, & VT, to get to and rest at 24 teams. My reasoning is:
    • ESPN owns both conferences so ACC can't sue and say that ESPN is interfering with ACC.
    • It gains the SEC new territory without having to worry about local politicians preventing the moves in NC and VA.
    • You bring in a balance of powerhouses, brands, and more beatable programs to keep the conference competitive top to bottom.
    • Every addition fits the mold with adding and establishing natural rivalries, so even lower level matchups are interesting.
    • It doesn't hurt that it boosts the academic profile of the conference.
    • Travel distances are pretty manageable, about as good as it gets for expansion to 24 teams.
    • And to be honest, who else makes more sense for the SEC to grab to get to 24?
  2. Outcome 2 is the SEC goes for FSU and Clemson for brands and goes for VT and NCSt for territory. Call me crazy, but I don't think there's a scenario where UNC and UVA end up in the SEC unless they come packaged with their rival state schools, for multiple reasons. Regardless, if the SEC leaves southern ACC programs on the table, I think they become must-haves for the B1G. Miami, GT, UNC, UVA, and probably Duke would end up in the B1G in that scenario, with their hope of grabbing ND along the way.
I think Big12 is waiting for Pitt and Louisville, with SU and Duke having solid chances of getting invites as well, though I'd guess that Duke would seriously consider dropping football at that point rather than join, and park their basketball in a BB league. Cal and Stanford I think would hold their noses and accept Big12 invites at that point, SMU, BC, and Wake probably do some form of merger with AAC, similar to the Pac12/MWC situation.

Re: option 2. Why would the states let UNC and UVA go to the Big Ten without their little brothers but not to the SEC. You'd have to assume either the B1G takes them as well or they have arranged for a home in the SEC for NCSU and VT

Advertisement
    • ESPN owns both conferences so ACC can't sue and say that ESPN is interfering with ACC. Yep
    • It gains the SEC new territory without having to worry about local politicians preventing the moves in NC and VA. Huge advantage for SEC since B1G won't take NC State or VA Tech
    • You bring in a balance of powerhouses, brands, and more beatable programs to keep the conference competitive top to bottom. Excellent point. SEC's mid- and lower-tier schools need to see teams they feel they can beat to be on board with expansion
    • Every addition fits the mold with adding and establishing natural rivalries, so even lower level matchups are interesting. Sankey has stated publicly that he is open to expanding the SEC to contiguous states, NC and VA would fit with that script while making the SEC the pre-eminent presence fron Virginia to Texas
    • It doesn't hurt that it boosts the academic profile of the conference. Absolutely. Gives presidents at the existing schools something to puff their chests about
    • Travel distances are pretty manageable, about as good as it gets for expansion to 24 teams. Fact
    • And to be honest, who else makes more sense for the SEC to grab to get to 24? The only thing I disagree with is that I think the SEC will take Duke and we'll (gladly) go to the B1G. Duke is probably the No. 1 brand in College Basketball and Duke-UNC is easily the top rivalry. And we've got our red flags with no on-campus stadium and sometimes spotty attendance

Staring I See You GIF by QuikTrip

Advertisement
Random note- June 30 is the last voting day at current membership - July 1 Cal, Stanford and SMU get voting rights.

Maybe the magnificent 7 plus a couple more (are getting ready to?) ride again… now that the lay of the land has settled…

What was known (publicly) a year ago:
- overall tv contract gaps from B1G & SEC to ACC
- other conferences get to negotiate their deals one or two more times before acc can

What is known (publicly) now:
- playoff gap in money from 2026 goes to nearly $10M annually
- ESPN contract option exposed that seemingly was hidden that they can opt out for 2027, not 2036
- ESPN deadline to exercise option extended by commissioner without a league vote and without consideration
- ACC sues another member without a necessary vote prior
- past acc commish corrupt - raycom- and ACC did not live up to obligations to maximize the value of the members
- FSU quite clearly is gone, which hate them or not, reduces conference value and increases chance ESPN bails on deal at contract valuation
- venue for fsu lawsuits likely to be decided by mid April based on current court dates.
- Jim Phillips is both complicit and Silent Bob getting steamrolled

Acc annual meetings are in may.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Last edited:
Random note- June 30 is the last voting day at current membership - July 1 Cal, Stanford and SMU get voting rights.

Maybe the magnificent 7 plus a couple more (are getting ready to?) ride again… now that the lay of the land has settled…

- other conferences get to negotiate their deals one or two more times before acc can

What is know (publicly) now:
- ESPN contract option exposed that seemingly was hidden that they can leave in 2027, not 2036
- ESPN deadline to exercise option extended by commissioner without a league vote and without consideration
- past acc commish corrupt - raycom- and ACC did not live up to obligations to maximize the value of the members
- FSU quite clearly is gone, which hate them or not, devalues conference value and increases chance ESPN bails on deal at contract valuation
- venue for fsu lawsuits likely to be decided by mid April based on current court dates.

Thank you

Advertisement

What is know (publicly) now:
- ESPN contract option exposed that seemingly was hidden that they can leave in 2027, not 2036
- FSU quite clearly is gone, which hate them or not, devalues conference value and increases chance ESPN bails on deal at contract valuation

The fact that everybody can leave with media rights effective 7/01/27 by just paying the ACC exit fee is like an early Christmas present. But it is looking more like the P2 media partners WILL make their "expansion selections" before then and the ACC will cease to exist, at least long enough for the 6-8 teams wanting out to bail. Then it can "re-form" by adding teams or merge with the P12 ... who also might lose their top 2 teams to the P2 ... so essentially there will be P2 and ... G5.

The fact that everybody can leave with media rights effective 7/01/27 by just paying the ACC exit fee is like an early Christmas present. But it is looking more like the P2 media partners WILL make their "expansion selections" before then and the ACC will cease to exist, at least long enough for the 6-8 teams wanting out to bail. Then it can "re-form" by adding teams or merge with the P12 ... who also might lose their top 2 teams to the P2 ... so essentially there will be P2 and ... G5.
Speaking of TV money Pual vs Tyson fight on Netflix. Imagine when cfb hit Netflix. Part of the streaming problem is most ppl don't want to pay for multiple services, but most houses have Netflix at least.

Advertisement
Back