MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

The entire realignment is 100% VIEWERSHIP driven. Conference presidents have comparatively small decision making power regarding new conference additions. It is 100% about optimizing programming big games to increase viewership and charge more $$$ for commercials. The schools WANT the money and therefore have ceded the final decision making. Look no further than the B10 just announcing 2 days ago that this Fall they will have at least 9 FRIDAY NIGHT prime time B10 games. No more Valdosta State vs. SE Louisiana Tech. Will be Michigan vs USC for a nationally broadcast game and will be promoted similar to then Monday Night Football was launched. The schools are just along for the $$$ ride.
So you agree it will be ESPN/Fox ultimately deciding this? Lol

Advertisement
Networks will have certain say such as
1. Who plays who in the marquee TV timeslots
2. Hellping the conferences fill out their roster of teams from teams not currently associated with the P2.
3. Maybe subtlely help when it comes to actual conference distribution rates. Right now shares are evently distributed. In the future I can see a hang up on the media rights deals until the conferences can agree on a percentage split for their teams. I doubt it ever gets to the where teams like Vandy, Indiana, Illinois leave the conference voluntarily, but they will not get the same share forever. It might look like something like this
Top tier teams get 1.25 shares
Middle tier teams 1 share
Bottom tier teams get .75 shares.

Those are all very viable ways where the networks are going to be able to influence future decisions for sure.

No one should be shocked by anything that happens from here on out. Do you think USC and UCLA came up on the Big 10's radar without the involvement of TV execs?

I'd say it's much more believable that TV is calling the shots at this point than any conferences or schools.
In hindsight, we should have seen USC and UCLA going to Big 10. I don’t think we anticipated the market drying up for the other 3 conference media rights so quickly (ACC, Big 12 and Pac 10). If nothing else, I think you have to give kudos for USC/UCLA working with the networks to help facilitate that escape plan. And we all know the networks help broker the 2 for 1 price with Washington and Oregon.

Advertisement
In hindsight, we should have seen USC and UCLA going to Big 10. I don’t think we anticipated the market drying up for the other 3 conference media rights so quickly (ACC, Big 12 and Pac 10). If nothing else, I think you have to give kudos for USC/UCLA working with the networks to help facilitate that escape plan. And we all know the networks help broker the 2 for 1 price with Washington and Oregon.

Once the SEC scooped up OU and Texas the writing was on the wall that the days of 5 power conferences were numbered and it was going to turn into no more than 3. Epic fail for Pac 12 and ACC to not be proactive. Big 12 was and they at least have a chance to stay relevant. The PAC is done and the ACC will get picked apart, despite scrambling to add some meh programs.

Last edited:

Interesting video. One thing of note is that the keep mentioning that Fox wants Miami

All of this why it is so urgent to start winning this year. As they mentioned, when Miami plays games that matter viewership rises. Winning an ACC title this year could do a **** of a lot for Miami. Oregon has a lot of thanking to do to Mario for building them back up and Miami is the next in line with a full-blown build much like Butch did for this program. Even if we have to take a 1/2 share temporarily we need to do it. It just needs to result in a full share eventually.

I love hearing that Fox values Miami as well. Those viewership ratings do climb in the future with more premier matchups.

He says fox wants Miami cause he heard that guy flugar say that fox wants Miami.

Not saying they don’t but please don’t proceed as if he has first hand sources. He doesn’t.
I don't believe that is solely because of flugauer's comments. Fox knows what matchups vs FSU, PSU, OSU, ND, Nebraska, etc mean vs the crappy ACC matchups outside of current matchups. I believe they are smart enough to see that the program is invested and getting built up now and they know our current HC did the same for Oregon.

Advertisement
I don't believe that is solely because of flugauer's comments. Fox knows what matchups vs FSU, PSU, OSU, ND, Nebraska, etc mean vs the crappy ACC matchups outside of current matchups. I believe they are smart enough to see that the program is invested and getting built up now and they know our current HC did the same for Oregon.
That’s not what I said. I said he doesn’t have a direct source. His source is whatever he heard flugar said. I never said I doubt fox has interest which isn’t hard to guess - I also don’t believe flugar is infallible

That’s not what I said. I said he doesn’t have a direct source. His source is whatever he heard flugar said. I never said I doubt fox has interest which isn’t hard to guess - I also don’t believe flugar is infallible

You are so angry in this thread…

Well done

The entire realignment is 100% VIEWERSHIP driven. Conference presidents have comparatively small decision making power regarding new conference additions. It is 100% about optimizing programming big games to increase viewership and charge more $$$ for commercials. The schools WANT the money and therefore have ceded the final decision making. Look no further than the B10 just announcing 2 days ago that this Fall they will have at least 9 FRIDAY NIGHT prime time B10 games. No more Valdosta State vs. SE Louisiana Tech. Will be Michigan vs USC for a nationally broadcast game and will be promoted similar to then Monday Night Football was launched. The schools are just along for the $$$ ride.
Exactly. And extremely short-sighted IMO.

You are so angry in this thread…

Well done
Just don’t ******* put ******* words in my mouth mother****ers
Talking Over It GIF by Top Rank Boxing

Advertisement
The networks are driving realignment 100% and any school that can qualify (meet the viewership / programming criteria / expectations) will be lining up to participate in order to receive $100+ million per season in media payout. They aren't doing it in a vacuum ... they will get it done with input / agreement / negotiations from the conference presidents and universities.
All of this why it is so urgent to start winning this year. As they mentioned, when Miami plays games that matter viewership rises. Winning an ACC title this year could do a **** of a lot for Miami. Oregon has a lot of thanking to do to Mario for building them back up and Miami is the next in line with a full-blown build much like Butch did for this program. Even if we have to take a 1/2 share temporarily we need to do it. It just needs to result in a full share eventually.

I love hearing that Fox values Miami as well. Those viewership ratings do climb in the future with more premier matchups.
Viewership is directly correlated with PROGRAMMING ... if you're on a regional streaming app you don't get eyeballs. Guys have no idea what they are talking about.

That's why I say the networks are the ones driving the bus and frankly, I think it is a weak position for these college administrators to take. TV networks are important partners of course, but you can't cede control of your sport as a whole to them.

TV execs don't care how the sport will look in 20 years, they just care how many viewers they'll get over the term of the contract. College football was easy pickings for them. The NCAA through its own mismanagement has wielded no power in the sport for quite some time. Instead of working together, the Power 5 conferences focused on poaching from each other to get the best TV deals to now they're at the point of possibly splitting 2 conferences to its own "league".

Is anyone looking at the realities of these decisions down the line? No matter how they try, college football is not the NFL. Over 80 FBS schools have been playing football for over a century now. These fanbases are set and are even more personally linked as many of the fans actually attended those schools. If they whittle it down to 48 teams, are they going to get the same viewership? I'm not sure. If Miami does not get into the P2 (God forbid), how many Miami fans are going to watch the P2 "league" when our favorite team will be playing in an entirely different level? Personally, I'm not going to have a rooting interest if that were to happen. Now multiply that by the 32 other schools left out. I'm **** sure not going to root for Florida or FSU in that situation.

What's a true shame is the 70 or so P5 schools could have worked together and offered what the TV networks are looking for without the seismic changes, but here we are.

Advertisement

The tv viewership ratings showed a huge hole in how our games are scored. ACC network games weren’t even calculated in the score.

That's why I say the networks are the ones driving the bus and frankly, I think it is a weak position for these college administrators to take. TV networks are important partners of course, but you can't cede control of your sport as a whole to them.

TV execs don't care how the sport will look in 20 years, they just care how many viewers they'll get over the term of the contract. College football was easy pickings for them. The NCAA through its own mismanagement has wielded no power in the sport for quite some time. Instead of working together, the Power 5 conferences focused on poaching from each other to get the best TV deals to now they're at the point of possibly splitting 2 conferences to its own "league".

Is anyone looking at the realities of these decisions down the line? No matter how they try, college football is not the NFL. Over 80 FBS schools have been playing football for over a century now. These fanbases are set and are even more personally linked as many of the fans actually attended those schools. If they whittle it down to 48 teams, are they going to get the same viewership? I'm not sure. If Miami does not get into the P2 (God forbid), how many Miami fans are going to watch the P2 "league" when our favorite team will be playing in an entirely different level? Personally, I'm not going to have a rooting interest if that were to happen. Now multiply that by the 32 other schools left out. I'm **** sure not going to root for Florida or FSU in that situation.

What's a true shame is the 70 or so P5 schools could have worked together and offered what the TV networks are looking for without the seismic changes, but here we are.
Just my .02… but I think this nuclear option thats being discussed is really a threat by P2 conferences to get what they want and if they do, they won’t break away, just as long as the P2 get the lions share of the money and the only 2 seats at the grown folks table. ACC, Big12 and the G5 will all have to sit at the kids table. And this is the option that I fear for Miami.

If the P2 gets what they want right now, they won’t have to add members to their conferences and can continue to cherry pick members when the moment is right for them. They can be good with 20 teams for the forseeable future. That’s where teams like FSU bounce when they get free and clear of the lawsuit. And while the ACC might lose members like UNC, FSu and Clemson, there’s no guarantee Miami is on the immediate want list for full conference share. I think first Florida team in B1G DEFINITELY gets full share. After that, wouldnt surprise me if B1G only pursues Miami if at a discount.

If ACC and B12 don’t cave in and nuclear option happens, Miami will get picked up for the new superconference because that will be at least 48 members. But you’re right in that college football as a whole loses, because there will be a lot of solid middle tier P5 teams that wont make the cut and that will have a downstream impact on them.

And while the ACC might lose members like UNC, FSu and Clemson, there’s no guarantee Miami is on the immediate want list for full conference share. I think first Florida team in B1G DEFINITELY gets full share. After that, wouldnt surprise me if B1G only pursues Miami if at a discount.

Then we go to the SEC. Unlike Oregon and Washington, Miami has options due to our geography.

B1G would be **** foolish to play that game, but I don't put anything past anybody. The SEC is much stronger than the B1G in terms of brands, and you know **** well this thing ain't stopping at P2. Once B1G and SEC have picked apart the ACC, they'll start picking each other apart. Like Highlander, there can be only one.

The only way B1G comes anywhere close to the SEC in terms of brand value is if they make a clean sweep and sign ALL of Miami, FSU, Notre Dame, UNC, and Clemson. **** around and try to offer half shares to a team that's geographically located in the SEC's footprint (Miami), and watch what happens. **** around and find out. We'd just join the SEC in that scenario and be part of the league that eventually cherry-picks the B1G once the P2 start canabalizing each other.

Advertisement
Back