MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

They are not voting members until June 2024 ... so if there is a united effort and 8 teams have homes ... the ACC can be dissolved before they join.
Well alrighty then. That still may be too soon though.

Advertisement
I agree with you. You have succinctly summarized the good info from this thread. I believe that we are watching this FSU vs ACC battle closely and will follow them out the door once the price tag is known (which will be at a reduced rate.) It seems to me, based on what I have read, that the ACC is merely trying to stretch this case out to milk as much $$ as they can before the end that they KNOW is on the horizon.

I think there is a win-win possibility where the ACC could actually end up reversing the espn buttf#cking and be in charge of doling out butt punishment to espn. It all depends on the acc adding two more teams. I believe the acc - espn tv deal remains in effect as long as the number of teams in the conference does not drop under 15. If it drops under 15, espn has the right to renegotiate the deal. When espn initially valued the deal, they obviously wanted the FSU, UM, UNC, and Clemson markets but they didn't put individual values on the each program in the contract (they couldnt because the GOR meant the ACC represented all teams in the deal, not individual teams). So the deal is contigent on the total number of teams in the acc (15), not specific teams being in the acc. Currently there are 17 teams. That means only two can leave and still keep the deal intact.

If the acc adds two more teams, then the acc could let FSU, UM, Clemson, and UNC leave to the P2 and keep the current deal. What looks like a bad deal for the big market acc teams is a pretty good deal for the acc teams like BC, Duke, Syracuse, etc. because it's unlikely that they'd get picked up by the P2 and wouldn't get as much money if they had to join a G5 or renegotiate with espn without the top football schools. So acc just needs to find 2 more teams and I believe the acc could let 4 teams go without paying the 500 million the acc says it will lose without the 4 football schools.

Does espn pick up the option in 2027 without them? Maybe, but if they don't, the majority of the remaining schools will likely vote to dissolve the conference and free up the teams to join another conference or merge with the Big12/Pac12. I think the latter is plausible as it would be a coast to coast megaconference that would still have some football legitimacy.

Unfortunately, 90% of this info in this thread is a whole lot of nothing, minus the few people that do have some info and insight that have shared their thoughts since day 1. Imho, there's five takeaways here that, with limited information or observation, we can make.

1. Depending on the situation, Miami seems to be the 2nd to 4th team that the Big 10 hopes to add in a future expansion. Where we fall on the pecking order depends on which variables are thought to be the most important for the conference (Fox view of ratings/brand, ND wanting a spot, perception of us by Big 10 presidents, etc.). Miami may not be an immediate expansion member, but may receive it's invite prior to the next Big 10 contract, which means anytime in the next 6 years.

2. There doesn't seem to be a path for Miami in the SEC. There hasn't been any expressed interest of whispers of any momentum there. I can speak to this a bit, as I do have a friend with SEC contacts, and they have repeatedly said that SEC schools do not want Miami in the conference primarily for recruiting reasons. Big "but" here, the SEC seems to be far more locked down on leaks and info than the Big. Nobody in the world had any idea that Texas and OU were going to the SEC, until the near moment it was announced.

3. There's been a lot of posts and talk about Genetics. My take on him is that he's a guy with some pretty good sources plugged into Big 10 politics and current events. However, I do think (for purposes of content and engagement) that he stretches his info and extrapolates it beyond a reasonable measure. As his account has become more prominent, the extrapolation has become more pronounced. I also think other school's insiders use him to launder their talking points. The chief example of this is when he made that post about Miami athletics and financials. I know for a fact that 95% of the info in that post was blatantly false, and that a good amount of it read like fan fiction from Warchant.

4. Miami generally understands that staying in the ACC would be a death sentence for the FB program. Miami Athletics is working in a much more quiet manner than its other ACC competitors in figuring out its next steps. Rudy Fernandez, Dan R., key members of the BOT, and big $$$ donors are leading the way here. This is not a situation where Miami is sleeping at the wheel. Miami knows that it has to find a landing spot, the Big 10 being the most likely destination. However, this leads into the next point...

5. Oregon and Washington's move to the Big really really screwed a quicker expansion timeline for us. Also, the GOR was always an obstacle that we would need to overcome.

Imho, based on the very limited information we seem to have, I think the Big takes 4 teams in its next expansion, with Miami being one of those teams. The process could be expedited by a big turnaround by us this year. If we make the playoff (not saying we will), it would give us a lot of leverage and reset some expectations.
Be careful. Telling people facts here or how an unexpected development like Oregon/Washington can change things even if just timing is likely to get you all sort of ****** hate. Stay strong.

Last edited:
For sure. UNC/Duke is a bigger rivalry to most outsiders looking in. Duke is far more prestigious than NC St and even if Duke ain’t all that in football, their academics is top notch and they’re a hoops blue blood.
It’s politics.

UNC and NCSU are tied at the hip. The true “Tobacco Road” public schools that old-school NC residents and legislators care about.

Duke is the private school that draws heavily from the NY/NJ region for its student body. They were basically nobodies in sports until coach K put them on the map.

Advertisement
@Genetics56 has become a flat out FSU fan. He posted a comment this morning on Warchant related to ESPN "rumors in the B10 is ESPN is not planning to extend the ACC media agreement and taking it's prime assets to the SEC and B10. Wouldn't it be hilarious if Miami were relegated to the kids table in the B12". He is a Nebraska fan ... so maybe he is looking for vengeance.

@Genetics56 has become a flat out FSU fan. He posted a comment this morning on Warchant related to ESPN "rumors in the B10 is ESPN is not planning to extend the ACC media agreement and taking it's prime assets to the SEC and B10. Wouldn't it be hilarious if Miami were relegated to the kids table in the B12". He is a Nebraska fan ... so maybe he is looking for vengeance.
Or maybe it’s a fake account like the one people thought was his here was

I’m not a fan of his but

Does ESPN even have a contract with the Big Ten? I thought the Big Ten was Fox, CBS, and NBC.

Advertisement
Or maybe it’s a fake account like the one people thought was his here was

I’m not a fan of his but
No ... that is HIS account on Warchant .... started posting and discussing the FSU suit etc a couple of weeks ago.

Does ESPN even have a contract with the Big Ten? I thought the Big Ten was Fox, CBS, and NBC.
ESPN has a huge bargaining chip ... the CFP renewal for 7 years after the current one expires. Have heard a lot of comments that there are plenty of "things" that can be negotiated. Including giving FOX etc some early CFP broadcasts. Who knows. There is a). What is really going on behind closed doors ... and that is in flux and b). What people are given to leak.

IDGAF what genitals56 has to say about realignment. I think people are placing far too much stock into what he posts.

I find posters like @FL Cane to be far more believable.

Sometimes less is more, and it seems like he just wants people to read whatever he writes.
Well it does **** me off that a guy who "poses" as an impartial information source comes out and makes the comment that "I would find it hilarious if Miami were relegated to the kids table in the B12". Que come mierda!

Advertisement
Shocking.

Well it does **** me off that a guy who "poses" as an impartial information source comes out and makes the comment that "I would find it hilarious if Miami were relegated to the kids table in the B12". Que come mierda!
I See You Smh GIF by Miami HEAT

Advertisement

Not concerned. Our CIS insiders said we already locked in this ****

IMG_1685.gif

Miami generally understands that staying in the ACC would be a death sentence for the FB program. Miami Athletics is working in a much more quiet manner than its other ACC competitors in figuring out its next steps. Rudy Fernandez, Dan R., key members of the BOT, and big $$$ donors are leading the way here. This is not a situation where Miami is sleeping at the wheel. Miami knows that it has to find a landing spot, the Big 10 being the most likely destination. However, this leads into the next point...

I want to believe this, I really do. But the JD Arteaga hire just destroyed my perception of anyone associated with the Athletic Department, especially Rad, as being smart and proactive. We had a chance to make the baseball program elite, but they made the laziest hire possible from a failing regime. They literally did the same thing a couple years earlier with hiring Diaz. And well... I'm not rehashing the debate about our football HC. Lets just all agree there was no real coaching search.

The guys in charge have shown time and again that they prioritize making sure their friends are taken care of first. Twice might be a coincidence, but 3 times is a pattern. They have been besties with the acc brass for a very long time.

If the pattern holds, what concerns me is that UM might have been quietly gauging the B1Gs interest but not pushing too hard to avoid angering the ACC, while other programs like FSU, Clemson, and UNC didn't care about the acc's feelings. They made their preliminary agreements with the P2 already and said "We're finding a way out of the acc, so keep the light on for us."

Those schools leave the conference as they already have the deal parameters in place, while "UM insiders" post that sources in the program were caught completely by surprise and that, "We had it all planned out to join the B1G but Notre Dame screwed us" or the "The North Carolina legislature screwed us by tying NC St to UNC" or "It was just bad timing" etc etc.

Again I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just looking at the sorry state of UM sports right now and it's hard times for a UM fan. I'm not seeing any proof that the AD has a path to get UM sports back to the top that is any different than the failed plans put out by his predecessors, and making a deal with the P2 while still in the acc is just something he isnt willing to do.

I think he knows stuff but he's all about self promotion and stroking his ego. A little fame and social media influence has gone to his head. He has pinned to the top of his X page this:
As many may know, I was one of the first, if not the first person to bring the conversation of a college athletics breakaway to Twitter (now X) a couple of years ago...

Advertisement
Back