MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Thought the clip below was an interesting concept. Could see in 10 years FBS football really just being 3 conferences (SEC, B1G, and Big 12) with like 24 teams each.

Then FCS becoming a REALLY competitive division with some of the lower level P5 teams get phased out dropping down. You can still play the FBS programs to get that paycheck but become more competitive with a playoff of your own at the FCS level.

Relegation/promotion will never happen but if I’m a Miami (OH), Wyoming, Temple, Fresno State type program do I start to shift my sights towards FCS? Thinking about turning that into an attractive brand filled with competitive teams on a pretty even playing field? Recruiting, NIL, etc becomes a lot easier as it’s more about coaching.

If we go to the B10, which is my preference, then bully. If we are relegated to the B12, then it is what it is. Starting with Donna Shalala and a ton of terrible leadership over the past 20 years, we find ourselves in this predicament. If this was even 10 years ago and certainly 15 years ago, there wouldn't be a question about getting into the P2 and probably the B10.

UM leadership has made one bad HC decision after the other. As I've said many times, the only one on paper that's made any sense after Coker (which he turned out to be a bad decision, but you can see why they did it), was Golden. On paper, Golden seemed like a smart decision and I still maintain that if he could've just let his BFF go and gone out and gotten a real DC with an attacking scheme, he would've led us back. But, I digress...

We are where we are because UM leadership was stupid about hiring the UM HC. From claiming that guys like Leach and Mullen were too weird and arrogant, to not bringing Butch back because of old emotional wounds and pride from older members of the BOT, to not properly funding and keeping up with the *'s, Bama's, Clemson's, etc., we find ourselves on the outside looking in. Choices have consequences.

Even Mario may or may not be a good choice, and I think we'll find out this season, but the UM leadership failed this school, team and community and just beat the ever-living **** out of the U brand.

But...winning solves all. If we start stringing together 3 or 4 10 win seasons, then, the U brand will re-emerge and if hadn't at that point already gotten into a P2, we probably will get in then. Of course, with the expanded playoffs and with an easier road to get there, as long as we have enough donors making up the difference, do we even "need" the P2...?

If Mario can just win-baby-win for the next few years and repair our image, I think we're gonna be just fine. Thank you for attending my Ted talk.

Of course they see it. They’ve seen it for months/well over a year. But the problem is, a lotta people want to get into the club. Not everyone makes it past the rope, though. I hope Rad has some dimes he can bring with him that I don’t see normally hanging around him. We’ll see.

Last thing I’m gonna say for tonight, your first paragraph. It’s not an existential threat. It’s the literal life and death of the program. There is no threat. It’s black and white. Get out of the ACC, right now, or die. Period. It’s literally that serious.
If we get left out Rad needs to be canned immediately…..he helped get us in to this clusterfck he ought to have an idea how to get us out of it…

Last edited:
Advertisement
If we get left out Rad needs to be canned immediately…..he helped get up in to this clusterfck he ought to have an idea how to get us out of it…
Not disagreeing necessarily, but how did Rad get us into this? I think we're in this because of the leadership's mishandling of the program for 2+ decades. How did Rad do this?

Not disagreeing necessarily, but how did Rad get us into this? I think we're in this because of the leadership's mishandling of the program for 2+ decades. How did Rad do this?
If I’m not mistaken he was one of the proponents of this GOR contract that is the Bain of all our problems.If I’m wrong then I’ll apologize.

But if Miami starts to win and is a regular to the CFP then I find it hard to believe that both the SEC and the B1G would not want to have not only our brand but just as importantly our territory as part of their conference.

But if Miami starts to win and is a regular to the CFP then I find it hard to believe that both the SEC and the B1G would not want to have not only our brand but just as importantly our territory as part of their conference.
Totally agree. If we start winning, it's hard to imagine we wouldn't get courted by one if not both. We have been the sleeping giant in CFB for 2 decades, who, once awakened, will unleash its terrible wrath and fantastic viewer numbers, all over the CFB landscape.

Advertisement
Totally agree. If we start winning, it's hard to imagine we wouldn't get courted by one if not both. We have been the sleeping giant in CFB for 2 decades, who, once awakened, will unleash its terrible wrath and fantastic viewer numbers, all over the CFB landscape.
Also with UF in the state they’re in the viewership area expands north so you're not only getting the So. Fla. viewership you’re going to get a lot from the middle of the state ( Tampa and Orlando areas) also which makes us that much more valuable to either one but especially the B1G.

Far fewer people watch Miami on TV than you and others seem to think, and that’s all that matters here.

Five time national champion…..literally nobody cares who makes these decisions. At all. Literally no one. Who turns on the TV when you play? That is IT. These guys aren’t trying to create the most powerful conference made up of members who won championships 40 years ago. It’s all about television revenue. MONEY. That’s all this is. It’s nothing about football. It’s all about MONEY. And sure, Miami has a national brand. But we’re not the TV draw that ND or FSU are. We don’t have a massive alumni base. And all these guys care about is turns TVs on to watch the product and cornering certain markets. If you get FSU, do you need Miami? Maybe, maybe not. But thinking we have some free path into either P2 conference because “we’re Miami” is incredibly silly.
I normally roll with you but on this one I think you’re wrong. FSU is not a bigger national brand than Miami. Are our viewership numbers affected by the types of broadcasts we’ve been getting? We haven’t been winning consistently for a long time and our games aren’t normally on the main network channels. I personally look at streams that probably don’t count towards our viewership numbers. How many other people do that?

The country loves or hates us from California to Connecticut. How many fan bases I mean the big ones actually hate FSU? Us and Florida, that’s it.
Now how many hate us. The list is countless from all the *** whippins we used to dish out. The vitriol comes out of fan bases who should have no feelings towards us either way. It’s different, and I’ve never seen anything like it. We start winning again and FSU doesn’t have enough fans in trailers watching to even get close.

Last edited:
We haven’t been winning consistently for a long time and our games aren’t normally on the main network channels
This is the problem. Realignment is happening now and unfortunately we just haven’t been consistently good over the past 20 years. If realignment was occurring in the 2000s or even 2010s, we’d likely be in a much stronger position.

But I agree that historically Miami is a more polarizing national brand than others like FSU. Just have to start winning again to get the primetime network games and then rack up the TV numbers.

I normally roll with you but on this one I think you’re wrong. FSU is not a bigger national brand than Miami. Are our viewership numbers affected by the types of broadcasts we’ve been getting? We haven’t been winning consistently for a long time and our games aren’t normally on the main network channels. I personally look and streams that probably don’t count towards our viewership numbers. How many other people do that?

The country loves or hates us from California to Connecticut. How many fan bases I mean the big ones actually hate FSU? Us and Florida, that’s it.
Now how many hate us. The list is countless from all the *** whippins we used to dish out. The vitriol comes out of fan bases who should have no feelings towards us either way. It’s different, and I’ve never seen anything like it. We start winning again and FSU doesn’t have enough fans in trailers watching to even get close.

Respect, but you’re way wrong on this one.

The 2nd paragraph is totally true, of course. But your first paragraph, the people who make the decisions, the numbers they’re looking for favor FSU. FSU is a MASSIVE school, 50k undergrads. Think about that, 10-15 kids every single year graduate from FSU and enter the workforce. Then 10-15 more. Miami is what, a quarter of that size? At most? It’s just not a comparison. You think fsu is doing what they’re doing right now because they DONT have a home in a P2 league? Think about that for a second. Think about what fsu is doing right now with the ACC. You think it’s to get out and join the MAC?

Advertisement
See a lot of optimism that we are going to get P2 for sure.
Problem is that it’s not taking into consideration the latest developments.

I honestly think the “official” P2 could very well now be at least 10-15 years away, especially if ND goes to B1G with FSU.
There will be P2 unofficially, through guaranteed # of playoff spots for the B1G and SEC once it gets closer to 16 teams. And with the playoff $$$ pretty much ironed out and not likely to go higher regardless of team composition in said playoff, there is no monetary incentive for B1G and SEC to go nuclear and break away. They will keep the kids table and give up a few playoff spots to the kid schools in the Big 12, ACC, and other G5 schools.

For those that are saying B1G will get rid of Maryland, Rutgers or Indiana to make room for Miami? I don’t see that either. Especially the old guard. Maryland and Rutgers have essentially lucked into tagging along with B1G. And before the league would ever realistically consider that idea, you’ll hear talk about incentive based distribution first. And while some schools could get minor shares in that distribution model (think Indiana and Rutgers), they would still get more through that than leaving and going to a different conference. So again, I think the B1G has other easier paths to generating more money for the top 3-5 team in the conference than adding another name school like Miami AFTER THE FACT.

I said it earlier, but I think the B1G end game has always been centered around ND joining the conference. Once they get them, the media contracts will max out and adding Miami after that would not increase the payout in those media contracts.

If we go to the B10, which is my preference, then bully. If we are relegated to the B12, then it is what it is. Starting with Donna Shalala and a ton of terrible leadership over the past 20 years, we find ourselves in this predicament. If this was even 10 years ago and certainly 15 years ago, there wouldn't be a question about getting into the P2 and probably the B10.

UM leadership has made one bad HC decision after the other. As I've said many times, the only one on paper that's made any sense after Coker (which he turned out to be a bad decision, but you can see why they did it), was Golden. On paper, Golden seemed like a smart decision and I still maintain that if he could've just let his BFF go and gone out and gotten a real DC with an attacking scheme, he would've led us back. But, I digress...

We are where we are because UM leadership was stupid about hiring the UM HC. From claiming that guys like Leach and Mullen were too weird and arrogant, to not bringing Butch back because of old emotional wounds and pride from older members of the BOT, to not properly funding and keeping up with the *'s, Bama's, Clemson's, etc., we find ourselves on the outside looking in. Choices have consequences.

Even Mario may or may not be a good choice, and I think we'll find out this season, but the UM leadership failed this school, team and community and just beat the ever-living **** out of the U brand.

But...winning solves all. If we start stringing together 3 or 4 10 win seasons, then, the U brand will re-emerge and if hadn't at that point already gotten into a P2, we probably will get in then. Of course, with the expanded playoffs and with an easier road to get there, as long as we have enough donors making up the difference, do we even "need" the P2...?

If Mario can just win-baby-win for the next few years and repair our image, I think we're gonna be just fine. Thank you for attending my Ted talk.
You had me at Bully, Rough Rider!

Advertisement

I honestly think the “official” P2 could very well now be at least 10-15 years away, especially if ND goes to B1G with FSU.
There will be P2 unofficially, through guaranteed # of playoff spots for the B1G and SEC once it gets closer to 16 teams. And with the playoff $$$ pretty much ironed out and not likely to go higher regardless of team composition in said playoff, there is no monetary incentive for B1G and SEC to go nuclear and break away. They will keep the kids table and give up a few playoff spots to the kid schools in the Big 12, ACC, and other G5 schools.

For those that are saying B1G will get rid of Maryland, Rutgers or Indiana to make room for Miami? I don’t see that either. Especially the old guard. Maryland and Rutgers have essentially lucked into tagging along with B1G. And before the league would ever realistically consider that idea, you’ll hear talk about incentive based distribution first. And while some schools could get minor shares in that distribution model (think Indiana and Rutgers), they would still get more through that than leaving and going to a different conference. So again, I think the B1G has other easier paths to generating more money for the top 3-5 team in the conference than adding another name school like Miami AFTER THE FACT.

I said it earlier, but I think the B1G end game has always been centered around ND joining the conference. Once they get them, the media contracts will max out and adding Miami after that would not increase the payout in those media contracts.
This is spot on. It’s all about the networks and what drives more money to the conference. Unless things change with ND we are likely in ACC/Big 12 till 2030. Meanwhile FSU will be in the B10 raking 10s of millions more than us and being able to negatively recruit the **** out us.

This is spot on. It’s all about the networks and what drives more money to the conference. Unless things change with ND we are likely in ACC/Big 12 till 2030. Meanwhile FSU will be in the B10 raking 10s of millions more than us and being able to negatively recruit the **** out us.

A wise poster on this board pointed out this nightmare scenario months ago. Oh that's right. It was me.

Miami's best course of action now is sabotage. Have to c0ckblock any chance of fsu or Clemson leaving. Convince the ACC to value to their media rights at 1 billion each, and get all the other acc teams to agree they will not allow the acc to negotiate a lower buyout. Get Disney in on the action and their high priced lawyers can make it impossible for them to leave. If each school wants to pay a billion to leave the acc, then they are free to leave. Sorry Noles, we're dragging everyone else under the water with us.

Last edited:

There’s no way it would be 15 years away the contracts come up at least twice before then

Have there been new actual developments or is it just Genetics said so? A look through a few Notre Dame boards (I feel so dirty) earlier found them more interested in Jac Collinsworth being demoteded than the Big Ten. This place would be jumping with insiders if it had reached the point of “Ohio State sources” telling Genetics we were moving.

Advertisement
Back