MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Oh I've been keeping up all along. I just don't feel like this Genetics guy should be getting as much credit as some people seem to give him.
WADR but if you have been following then you would know he’s credible. I know some of his info is accurate from other people. He’s definitely plugged in with the Big 10 and media people. Shoot, just look at the people who are following him. But we can agree to disagree.

Advertisement
I agree about NFL analogy; however, not sure it’ll be easy to remove those programs. I would remove those ****** programs but not sure how realistic it is.
How realistic was it to think USC and UCLA would leave the PAC12 to go to the B1G 3 years ago?

TV execs were able to pull that off and i dont think trimming the fat is not off the table for the next TV contract. It is unlikely, but definitely something for the ADs and Presidents at Indiana, Purdue, and their ilk to have backup plans for in the next 7 years or so.

I agree about NFL analogy; however, not sure it’ll be easy to remove those programs. I would remove those ****** programs but not sure how realistic it is.
Some of the teams mentioned are founding members of the big ten and it would take insane circumstances for them to be voted out. They have special rights as founders if I’m not mistaken

Last edited:
They are going to regret missing their chance to be a part of the soon to be merged ACC/Big12 conference.

Trying Not To Laugh GIF
He look like Mexican Will Smith

How realistic was it to think USC and UCLA would leave the PAC12 to go to the B1G 3 years ago?

TV execs were able to pull that off and i dont think trimming the fat is not off the table for the next TV contract. It is unlikely, but definitely something for the ADs and Presidents at Indiana, Purdue, and their ilk to have backup plans for in the next 7 years or so.

Agree, but it’s one caveat w/ The UCLA/USC move to the B1G. U can say the stars aligned, in a way.

There’s a reason y the Big 10 started pushing into other conference’s territories, & changed their logo from BIG 10 to B1G in 2011. They started doing it very subtly, dipping their toe in the Big XII, & then expanding farther East. It was always their plan to become a national brand v. a regional brand.

In comes the PAC-12; the PAC-12 have had rocky leadership since the hiring of former Women’s Tennis CEO, Larry Scott, to become its Commissioner. Larry Scott & John Swafford must’ve had a competition of worst commissioners among P5 conferences. Scott made financial blunder after financial blunder within the conference, I’m talking unnecessary financial blunders. U couple that w/ the PAC-12 having egregiously late games which was of no interest to the rest of America, along w/ every last one of their “top teams” sans 2010 & 2014 (Oregon) chitting the bed, not vying for a BCS/CFP Championship spot, & voila, no interest from big companies.

With The B1G thirsting to become a Nat’l brand, & the soon to be implosion awaiting the PAC-12, USC/UCLA (both in need of financial assistance to keep up &/or get out the red from their AD) were ripe for the picking. Their administration was proactive, b/c it was clear the lack of leadership unveiled itself around 2016-17 via an audit. Holy chit was that a f’ing mess; it was an unexplainable mess, one that was years in the making behind PAC-12 Presidents’ backs. Scott….man, let me not go down that rabbit hole. Anyways, cracks started to form, confidence started to erode, and SC/UCLA as poster children of the conference said F this, & it was perfect timing.

Advertisement

I politely tried to explain to you that you are factually wrong. But now you have chosen to double down on wrongness. I'm going give you the benefit of the doubt and attribute this to not understanding the deal rather than being a person who would rather be wrong than admit he made a mistake.

Let me try to explain it another way so that on your own you come to the realization that the belief that espn gets the bulk of the money makes no logical sense.

Under the current deal, let's say FSU gets massive tv ratings and Boston college has zero viewers. Does espn give fsu more money? No. It gets the same as Boston college. Espn gives a fixed amount to the ACC, which distributes it evenly to the ACC teams. This is a fixed annual amount, hence why conferences announce they have signed a tv deal for 53 billion over 15 years. This is the guaranteed tv revenue viewers or no viewers. Doesn't matter if all the teams in the acc are 0-12 and no one is tuning in. Espn pays the same amount.

If FSU leaves, espn isn't going to pay the acc the same amount, so the acc essentially refunds the 1/15 percentage of the tv money that it was going to give fsu back to espn. The math comes out to about 130 million over the remainder of the tv deal. FSU pays that to the ACC as the buyout from the tv deal. The acc then gives that to espn to refund the 1/15 value that came from having fsu in the conference. If Boston college wanted to leave, it's the same amount- 130 million since the number is based on the fixed tv deal and not value to the conference.

The separate issue is that FSU granted media rights to all home games in all sports to the ACC through 2036. Again, that's why it is called the Grant of Rights. The acc valued this as being worth 570 million total. So if FSU goes to the B1G, all the home game money goes to the ACC through 2036. FSU gets to keep the away money in whatever new conference it joins. All the home game money belongs to the ACC, which then distributes it to the remaining acc members.

I don't know how I can break this down any further.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Agree, but it’s one caveat w/ The UCLA/USC move to the B1G. U can say the stars aligned, in a way.

There’s a reason y the Big 10 started pushing into other conference’s territories, & changed their logo from BIG 10 to B1G in 2011. They started doing it very subtly, dipping their toe in the Big XII, & then expanding farther East. It was always their plan to become a national brand v. a regional brand.

In comes the PAC-12; the PAC-12 have had rocky leadership since the hiring of former Women’s Tennis CEO, Larry Scott, to become its Commissioner. Larry Scott & John Swafford must’ve had a competition of worst commissioners among P5 conferences. Scott made financial blunder after financial blunder within the conference, I’m talking unnecessary financial blunders. U couple that w/ the PAC-12 having egregiously late games which was of no interest to the rest of America, along w/ every last one of their “top teams” sans 2010 & 2014 (Oregon) chitting the bed, not vying for a BCS/CFP Championship spot, & voila, no interest from big companies.

With The B1G thirsting to become a Nat’l brand, & the soon to be implosion awaiting the PAC-12, USC/UCLA (both in need of financial assistance to keep up &/or get out the red from their AD) were ripe for the picking. Their administration was proactive, b/c it was clear the lack of leadership unveiled itself around 2016-17 via an audit. Holy chit was that a f’ing mess; it was an unexplainable mess, one that was years in the making behind PAC-12 Presidents’ backs. Scott….man, let me not go down that rabbit hole. Anyways, cracks started to form, confidence started to erode, and SC/UCLA as poster children of the conference said F this, & it was perfect timing.
I agree they have decided to become a national conference. I'm just saying I think they got there with input from the TV execs about the $$ available. To me, the Nebraska expansion was to get to 12 for the conference championship game. They fit the geographical footprint and if I remember correctly it was between them and Missouri, but Nebraska got the nod. Maryland and Rutgers were to get the NYC and DC markets for more Big 10 Network outlets.

Then 2016, they sign on with Fox as their main TV partner. I think that's when the master plan to go nationwide began to be hatched. USC & UCLA helped get the $1B number. I just wouldn't be surprised if some of the garbo old school B1G teams get voted out by the others at some point before the next renewal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back