MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Y’all need to just listen to the latter part of this segment on Josh pate

Advertisement
UVA is a more valuable program, but I wouldn't be shocked to see NC State paired with UNC. The state lawmakers are looking out for their own and just passed some kind of measure. I could see it playing out that they will only let UNC go if NC State has a spot as well. Just like UVA requiring VTech to the ACC back when we jumped.
The UNC AD was pretty clear in his comments a couple of weeks ago "we will do what is best for the UNC football program". The money issues in moving to the SEC, them adding new teams = more money to pay out + they are also going to 9 conference games soon = additional money for schools. The SEC just might not have the luxury of adding NC State so the legislators "feel good". They would be penalizing UNC by prohibiting them to improve their economic status.

The UNC AD was pretty clear in his comments a couple of weeks ago "we will do what is best for the UNC football program". The money issues in moving to the SEC, them adding new teams = more money to pay out + they are also going to 9 conference games soon = additional money for schools. The SEC just might not have the luxury of adding NC State so the legislators "feel good". They would be penalizing UNC by prohibiting them to improve their economic status.
The UNC AD can have that stance all he wants, but it's NC politics. From what I understand, UNC can't make the decision on their own; the state legislature has to sign off. There are likely enough NC State alumni there to force a partnership and not let UNC go on their own. They know it'll hurt NC State long-term if they get left out and probably are confident that either conference would be willing to do what it takes to get UNC, especially since most of these realignment moves seem to come in pairs. Yes, they know UNC would get a lot more money, but they're betting they could get double by getting NC State in as well.

Wake and Duke are private, so they don't play into the state politics.

Advertisement
The UNC AD can have that stance all he wants, but it's NC politics. From what I understand, UNC can't make the decision on their own; the state legislature has to sign off. There are likely enough NC State alumni there to force a partnership and not let UNC go on their own. They know it'll hurt NC State long-term if they get left out and probably are confident that either conference would be willing to do what it takes to get UNC, especially since most of these realignment moves seem to come in pairs. Yes, they know UNC would get a lot more money, but they're betting they could get double by getting NC State in as well.

Wake and Duke are private, so they don't play into the state politics.
Take it for what it’s worth but at least one or two places with 50-50 odds but not completely delusional click bait Have both stated that NC State and Virginia Tech have reached out to the big 12. Maybe they’re just covering the bases, but I don’t think North Carolina and NC State are as entangled as people think despite recent meetings and press.

Take it for what it’s worth but at least one or two places with 50-50 odds but not completely delusional click bait Have both stated that NC State and Virginia Tech have reached out to the big 12. Maybe they’re just covering the bases, but I don’t think North Carolina and NC State are as entangled as people think despite recent meetings and press.
Of course. They may be, they may not be. Very few people know what's going on. All I was saying is don't put it past the petty NC legislature to force a partnership. It's not just UNC's call.

Of course. They may be, they may not be. Very few people know what's going on. All I was saying is don't put it past the petty NC legislature to force a partnership. It's not just UNC's call.
There were a lot of comments and interpretations 2 weeks ago when the BOG ratified a modification of statues in NC stating that THEY had to approve any plans by a state university to switch conferences. Initially there was universal belief that this was a move to BLOCK UNC from leaving without NC State. However a clarification was released later stating that it simply meant that the institution wanting to leave had to present a FINANCIAL PLAN supporting it's decision. So some are reading THAT as more of a confirmation that if UNC can provide a financial justification they will be able to obtain BOG approval with the realization that the "P2" world being laid out has limited seats at the table.

Advertisement
Andy Staples on3 article today.
Couple of excerpts- full article link below
IMG_7248.jpeg

IMG_7249.jpeg

Andy Staples on3 article today.
Couple of excerpts- full article link below
View attachment 282758

View attachment 282759
Settlement is the likely end game but that is still an outcome that ends the ACC longterm. As soon as the ACC and FSU settle then schools like Miami, Clemson, etc. are going to look to get the same thing.

I would really like to see the NUCLEAR OPTION put back on the table. Takes 8 votes to dissolve the conference (prior to June 2024 when Cal / Stan / SMU join) ... so let's revisit that:

-Miami / FSU = Big 10
-UNC / UVA = SEC (apparently desired by the SEC for geographic consolidation purposes) (would they take Clemson? & Va Tech?
-Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, Duke = B12 (BB conference)

The FSU action has the juices flowing in several programs, there HAVE BEEN conversations with the B12. It would save EVERYBODY a **** ton of $$$$, legal fees, and bull**** if we just blow the **** thing up!!

Advertisement
I would really like to see the NUCLEAR OPTION put back on the table. Takes 8 votes to dissolve the conference (prior to June 2024 when Cal / Stan / SMU join) ... so let's revisit that:

-Miami / FSU = Big 10
-UNC / UVA = SEC (apparently desired by the SEC for geographic consolidation purposes) (would they take Clemson? & Va Tech?

The FSU action has the juices flowing in several programs, there HAVE BEEN conversations with the B12. It would save EVERYBODY a **** ton of $$$$, legal fees, and bull**** if we just blow the **** thing up!!
It should make too much sense to a bunch of programs because it has to be obvious the ACC does not have a future. Even the Big 12 is more stable ground for several ACC programs. The pay out from ESPN will be even less once the higher valued programs depart.

-Miami / FSU = Big 10

That was the best and easiest way out before we added Cal/Stanford/SMU. Still not sure why Miami agreed to that without using the leverage to get some kind of advantageous exit clause. They could have said "we'll vote those schools in to ensure the survival of the ACC but when we're ready to leave we want a significantly reduced buyout."

The Big12 could have gotten 4 or 5 schools with just equal offers to what they were making in the ACC as soon as it was clear the big 4 or 5 schools were leaving.

FSU/Miami/Clemson/UNC/UVA go to B1G and SEC
NCSt, Pitt, GT, Lou, VT (maybe Duke too because of basketball) would all have had homes in the B12 for at least what they were making in the ACC.

Syracuse, BC, WF would all have to figure something else out.

-Miami / FSU = Big 10

The remaining teams could also reform the conference with a new media rights agreement.

Advertisement
Genetics has been hinting on twitter this afternoon that ND to B1G is happening soon
Interesting that he stated "**** I was right " or words to that effect. He said to check the podcast he did a couple of weeks ago for hints. He had mentioned that ND might first do an arrangement with the B10 similar to what they did with the ACC, or a full fledged membership.

Saw his tweet and then listened to "The Big 10 Huddle" a podcast by a guy who is apparently an OSU fan and has some B10 conference contacts. HE SAID:

-FSU is definitely headed to the Big 10
-ND will be part of the Big 10 in some manner ... association or full member
-Miami will be joining ND
-A 4th team will be selected

His comments were that Miami and FSU are historic RIVALRIES and rivalry games are a huge programming draw for the Big 10. Then add the Miami / ND rivalry (Catholics & Convicts) and you have the best 3 teams to add that bring in viewers. He said that the Big 10 adding those 3 would essentially be "checkmate" to the SEC.

Would be Christmas comes early for me.

Interesting that he stated "**** I was right " or words to that effect. He said to check the podcast he did a couple of weeks ago for hints. He had mentioned that ND might first do an arrangement with the B10 similar to what they did with the ACC, or a full fledged membership.

Saw his tweet and then listened to "The Big 10 Huddle" a podcast by a guy who is apparently an OSU fan and has some B10 conference contacts. HE SAID:

-FSU is definitely headed to the Big 10
-ND will be part of the Big 10 in some manner ... association or full member
-Miami will be joining ND
-A 4th team will be selected

His comments were that Miami and FSU are historic RIVALRIES and rivalry games are a huge programming draw for the Big 10. Then add the Miami / ND rivalry (Catholics & Convicts) and you have the best 3 teams to add that bring in viewers. He said that the Big 10 adding those 3 would essentially be "checkmate" to the SEC.

Would be Christmas comes early for me.
I cannot overstate the joy this would bring me.

Advertisement
Back