MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Who said anything about not having 12 teams? You had originally stated you thought the TV contract price was 35% lower than expected because the 5+7 model was being implemented and there would be lower value games bringing down the value of the TV contract.

I was just pointing out the effect on having a 5+7 model after the current conference realignment would be 1 playoff game on average per year. And the effect would be the 12th team who let's face it, wouldn't be the "Georgia" of this or any other season, would be replaced by the 14th or 16th ranked team on average. IMO stating the playoff came in 35% lower than predicted based on 1 game being affected out of 11 total playoff games each year (9%) is a bit of a stretch and also assumes the industry didn't include the effects of the 5+7 model in the first place when estimating the value of the TV contract.

Yall some mf nerds, mane 🤓. Lmaoo.. good **** though. Interesting conversation
Taught me a lil sumn sumn

Advertisement
There was a thread discussing Conference Realignment on Canesport ... Gary said "nothing is happening ... nobody has ANY back channel offers". His position is the best thing is for the ACC to 'become stronger and become a legit P3". So ... if Gary is saying nothing is happening it most likely means that there is a lot going on ... just that he is totally unaware of it.

Miami - Ferman.png

Advertisement

I haven't found the full document but I read a synopsis of it. It's basically making jurisdictional arguments. Says Leon County doesn't have jurisdiction in the case and that the statute of limitations expired.

The latter is interesting. FSU lawsuit is partly based on the Raycom shenanigans, but as far back as 2012 there were national media publications (Forbes) that pointed out how ludicrously bad the deal was and the deal with Raycom could cost the acc millions. So they had knowledge the deal was fishy. Why didn't FSU didn't file a lawsuit back then? They can claim they just discovered that Swofford was double dealing and it tolls the statute of limitations, but then they have to establish two things. First, that it wasn't something that could have been discovered through ordinary diligence. We are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. No one knew at FSU was aware the acc commissioners son worked for Raycom? Come on.

Second, they will need to convince the judge that if they'd known about Swofford made a deal that happened to benefit his son, they would not have signed the deal. Problem is they did sign the deal, so they clearly thought the numbers were in their favor. I think it's pretty obvious why they signed it, they thought they had out maneuvered the other conferences with a great deal and it would pay off in the long run.

FSUs best argument to get out of the contract may be to use the US Women's Soccer legal argument to get out of deal that guaranteed them far more money than the men, but willingly gave up bonus money, which would have turned out to be far more lucrative. Their argument was essentially that women are too dumb to understand complicated contracts so the deal should be void. And it worked.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Don’t believe this is legit, as Blue Blood Bias is pretty unreliable.
It is a VERY optimistic reading of what the ACC stated. HOWEVER in the 60 or so page filing the ACC DID bring up the topic of FSU potentially buying back their media rights ... it read something like "in the event that FSU were to buy back their media rights as part of an early exit it would be a commercial transaction and not payment of a penalty". So a). The ACC did introduce the topic of a potential media rights buy back ... b). They seemed to be saying that it was not an exit penalty but simply a commercial transaction of buying back something they had "sold". BUT ... if they sold them ... they haven't been paid for the future use ... so? This definitely seems like it headed to a negotiated buy back. Hope UM joins the fray.

Don’t believe this is legit, as Blue Blood Bias is pretty unreliable.
My cousin is a Tarheel alum and he sends ACC stuff over on a group text to stir the pot. Neither of us read up on it or too much into the details. I told him to start posting here under carolinanative and just argue with everyone and it would take a while for people to realize what was happening...😎

Advertisement
It is a VERY optimistic reading of what the ACC stated. HOWEVER in the 60 or so page filing the ACC DID bring up the topic of FSU potentially buying back their media rights ... it read something like "in the event that FSU were to buy back their media rights as part of an early exit it would be a commercial transaction and not payment of a penalty". So a). The ACC did introduce the topic of a potential media rights buy back ... b). They seemed to be saying that it was not an exit penalty but simply a commercial transaction of buying back something they had "sold". BUT ... if they sold them ... they haven't been paid for the future use ... so? This definitely seems like it headed to a negotiated buy back. Hope UM joins the fray.

I'm curious who gets the buyback money? I know ultimately it's the remaining conference members, but who controls how and when that is distributed? Is this how Pitt, BC and UVA are going to fund their football programs? Share in the buybacks from FSU, Miami, and Clemson?

I'm curious who gets the buyback money? I know ultimately it's the remaining conference members, but who controls how and when that is distributed? Is this how Pitt, BC and UVA are going to fund their football programs? Share in the buybacks from FSU, Miami, and Clemson?
So we get to pay ACC bye bye money with the money FSU will pay remaining ACC members for leaving?! Love it

ESPN gets the media buyback money as they own the media rights. They will also continue to pay the conference the same media payout after FSU leaves. The CONFERENCE and members get the ACC Exit Fee money .... which is a different item. That is in the bylaws and is approximately $100 million unless the ACC members agree to lower it. Two separate items:

-Media Rights (GOR) ... given to the ACC by members and sold by ACC to ESPN. FSU is hoping that they are able to negotiate that the
media buyback PERIOD is only through 2027, concurrent with the current ESPN media commitment. That limits their expense to a 2 -3 year
window.

-ACC Exit Fee ... in the bylaws approx $100M per school, and that goes to the conference to be distributed between members.

These filings are standard litigation procedures. While they do set out some arguments, most of the disputes are fact-driven and cannot be presented this way. Obviously, the first fight is which court gets (has to) host the battle. Once that is resolved, we will get depositions of the key figures. I would point out that well over 90% of litigated matters settle and with ESPN yet to accept it’s option to extend, we could see fireworks this year!

Advertisement
Back