MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Highly doubt that would happen at this stage - it’s not always helpful or even necessary to say the obvious out loud. bet big10 likes discretion for now anyway. Making a statement like those two is not going to change the outcome. Different things in play- unc board of trustees had to clarify what thr systemwide board of governors put out and the public perception of it. Apples and oranges.

would I love to hear one? Sure. But that’s cause **** the acc Just because.

I think dans “interested observer” comment said tons despite being bland.
Right - look at all of the major conference realignments that have happened over the several years... how many of them did the school make comments before news broke that it was imminent?

UNC is being forced to say things publicly b/c they are a public school and have to respond to the politics at play. Miami is private and does not gain anything by saying things publicly. I am sure, however, that they are making at least some of their intentions known behind the scenes.

Advertisement
There's a few things here.

First, the EXTENSION to the GOR (the one that took it from 2027 to 2036) is, at its core, unenforceable. For multiple reasons.
---No new consideration
---Not even matched up, in term, to the TV agreement (2027 vs. 2036)
---Unconscionable
---Does not even really apply to school that exits the conference (Holy Grail argument)
---Constitutes an additional "exit penalty" beyond the one ALREADY AGREED TO in the ACC Constitution

Second, there are plenty of other claims designed to either "make this a Florida contractual case" or to address issues raised in the ACC's separate filing.
The extension to ESPNs option by Phillips seems like the wildest thing to me. Without ESPN providing considerstion that extension cant be valid, and so they missed the boat in 2021

Advertisement
After this complaint, it seems pretty clear that FSU and the SEC (ESPN) are not going to be doing business with one another.

Where did Mr. Ironclad NorthernVaginaCane go?

Live look in on him now....................

hollywood data GIF

Advertisement
& this is what happens where there are zero guidelines, zero parameters, & “a make it up as u go” policy is enforced. The NCAA’s arrogance created this paradigm shift for them.
NCAA abdicated their responsibility and the opportunity to lead. All of this is downstream of their childish entitlement while in power and their naked cowardice once they lost control.

NCAA abdicated their responsibility and the opportunity to lead. All of this is downstream of their childish entitlement while in power and their naked cowardice once they lost control.
They made their bed. Blatant favoritism that left 99% of CFB unable to compete. The NCAA is about to follow their golden boy into retirement.

Advertisement
There's a few things here.

First, the EXTENSION to the GOR (the one that took it from 2027 to 2036) is, at its core, unenforceable. For multiple reasons.
---No new consideration
---Not even matched up, in term, to the TV agreement (2027 vs. 2036)
---Unconscionable
---Does not even really apply to school that exits the conference (Holy Grail argument)
---Constitutes an additional "exit penalty" beyond the one ALREADY AGREED TO in the ACC Constitution

Second, there are plenty of other claims designed to either "make this a Florida contractual case" or to address issues raised in the ACC's separate filing.
I’ll never understand how this even got approved by legal.

I have to think all of the law firms have memos stating GOR shouldn’t be signed for exactly the reasons you stated because this would be malpractice.

I’ll never understand how this even got approved by legal.

I have to think all of the law firms have memos stating GOR shouldn’t be signed for exactly the reasons you stated because this would be malpractice.

But...again...

Two things. First, there were contemporaneous lies that were told and promises that were made, that IF TRUE, would not have made the GOR as bad.

Second, there was absolutely no choice in the matter. Where were we going, if not ESPN? Were we going to get that Pac-12 Apple Streaming deal?

I'm sorry, I truly don't understand what people think that Miami, or the ACC schools collectively, could have done differently, at least the part with ESPN (since that part is a choice, whereas none of us knew about the extent and seriousness of Swofford's self-dealing and nepotism).

Let's say that the greatest attorney on the planet could have foreseen all the negative repercussions of signing the GOR....

OK...

BUT WHAT WERE THE CHOICES?

Sorry, I'm just not going to sit here hammering university presidents and ADs for the GOR. I WILL criticize them for allowing Swofford to run the show for as long as he did. He was a terrible leader who never did anything truly positive for the ACC. When you look back on Swofford's entire career, WHAT WAS HIS SIGNATURE PROGRAM? The guy didn't do much.

Look at this bull****. Swofford ran the ACC...FOR TWENTY-FOUR YEARS.

He "doubled" our revenue (over TWENTY-FOUR YEARS).

He added more teams.

He started a basketballl tournament.

He "launched" the ACC Network.

That's it. This is his entire Wikipedia listing of his ACC accomplishments:

1706750268193.png

But...again...

Two things. First, there were contemporaneous lies that were told and promises that were made, that IF TRUE, would not have made the GOR as bad.

Second, there was absolutely no choice in the matter. Where were we going, if not ESPN? Were we going to get that Pac-12 Apple Streaming deal?

I'm sorry, I truly don't understand what people think that Miami, or the ACC schools collectively, could have done differently, at least the part with ESPN (since that part is a choice, whereas none of us knew about the extent and seriousness of Swofford's self-dealing and nepotism).

Let's say that the greatest attorney on the planet could have foreseen all the negative repercussions of signing the GOR....

OK...

BUT WHAT WERE THE CHOICES?

Sorry, I'm just not going to sit here hammering university presidents and ADs for the GOR. I WILL criticize them for allowing Swofford to run the show for as long as he did. He was a terrible leader who never did anything truly positive for the ACC. When you look back on Swofford's entire career, WHAT WAS HIS SIGNATURE PROGRAM? The guy didn't do much.

Look at this bull****. Swofford ran the ACC...FOR TWENTY-FOUR YEARS.

He "doubled" our revenue (over TWENTY-FOUR YEARS).

He added more teams.

He started a basketballl tournament.

He "launched" the ACC Network.

That's it. This is his entire Wikipedia listing of his ACC accomplishments:

View attachment 281431
People that have only been eating at McDonald’s all their lives. Don’t realize what it is until they have steak somewhere else.

Advertisement
Is this correct, though? I think BC was invited to join the ACC in 2003. Swofford’s son was hired in 2004, and they played their first games as ACC members in 2005.

OK, let me ask you if THIS paragraph reads any better for Chad Swofford's resume:

In 2003, Chad Swofford worked for less than one year as a Brand Management Intern for Nike. In October 2003, the ACC extended a single invitation for a school to join the ACC as a new member. That invitation was extended to Boston College University ("Boston College"). Shortly thereafter, Swofford's son, Chad Swofford, was offered a job working as Assistant Director of Sports Marketing in the Boston College Athletic Department.

Is that any better for the Swoffords or the ACC? How did Chad go from interning to "Assistant Director of Sports Marketing" for a P5 school?

I think my amended paragraph is FAR WORSE than the original one, at least for the ACC, because it now looks like Chad's ENTIRE CAREER is the product of nepotism, not just his time at Raycom.

1706794604643.png

Last edited:

Interesting graphic but he likely could have saved himself time and kept to Football and Basketball since those are the 2 sports that will drive expansion. Slightly confused by the # of Football games picked up by a network or ESPN number. He has us at 43 games for 2016 through 2023. I'm assuming he is not including the ACC Network even through it is part of ESPN because all of our games this year were on Network, ESPN or the ACC Network so that is 13 right there. Pretty sure in the other 7 years there were more than 30 games.

Advertisement
Back