MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Florida abrogates sovereign immunity for contract claims but all of FSU's counts in their lawsuit are state law claims that the ACC's dec action don't really address directly. Venue is appropriate in FL since that's where the damages/breach/cause of action accrued and what laws should apply.
what if the grant of rights has an exclusive venue provision for North Carolina?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Greenberg Traurig is very good at running up insanely high fees on worthless merits. They and the ACC will be the big winners here.
Here she is! She’s back like a monthly friend Better late than ……

Grapefruit Fingering GIF by bjorn

Rad was dumb enough to sign up for the agreement in the first place so who knows. He doesn't seem that bright to me.

People have to stop over-focusing on "the agreement in the first place".

In the mid-20-teens, it was very commonplace.

We should rather focus on the "secret" aspects of what happened, such as the mismatch between the ESPN guarantee of revenue and the grant of rights, as well as the unilateral (and unapproved) extension that Phillips and the ACC gave to ESPN.

Advertisement

We should rather focus on the "secret" aspects of what happened, such as the mismatch between the ESPN guarantee of revenue and the grant of rights, as well as the unilateral (and unapproved) extension that Phillips and the ACC gave to ESPN.
Secret aspects? That must be nonsense playing on public opinion. You mean universities, some of which are among the very best in the nation, thought signing a double secret agreement was okay?

Acc incompetence gets worse 👀

cc @TheOriginalCaneView attachment 274647

What about this point Ispyin brought up and asked? Wouldn't this at least knock the agreement back to 2027 because 2/3 of the conference didn't agree to the extension and the conference commissioner just signed off on it?

Advertisement
Yeah, we should just save our money and pay you to tell us that it's ironclad and we can't get out until 2036.

Brilliant.
People get into some foolish rabbit holes on this board... guy dead set that it's ironclad with nothing changing until 2036 is arguing about law firms...

Secret aspects? That must be nonsense playing on public opinion. You mean universities, some of which are among the very best in the nation, thought signing a double secret agreement was okay?

Do you ******* read, you dope?

Jim Phillips extended the time for ESPN to decide whether it wanted to keep paying the ACC. He did it unilaterally, in secret, and without the required vote of the members.

You are so unbelievably dumb. I was going to say "sometimes", but it's really just all the time.

Advertisement
Do you ******* read, you dope?

Jim Phillips extended the time for ESPN to decide whether it wanted to keep paying the ACC. He did it unilaterally, in secret, and without the required vote of the members.

You are so unbelievably dumb. I was going to say "sometimes", but it's really just all the time.
I previously identified NorthernVaginaCane as a potential basketball guy who never wanted to see the ACC disbanded because the Tobacco Road Teams run the conference. I am now starting to believe he works for the defense team of the ACC. No defending the extension from 2027 to 2036.

Last edited:
Ordinarily you can't sue a state at all unless they waive sovereign immunity. In cases where they waive it, you usually have to sue them in their own state courts and they have a bunch of other special rules regarding service, how much you can win, etc.

Most states waive sovereign immunity for contract claims involving the state or state entities.

FSU's lawsuit against the ACC is based on violations of state law, not federal, so the venue should be in Florida. the ACC's arguments that FSU consented to be sued anywhere probably don't hold water because even if they did, the lawsuit is about a breach of Florida's laws, not north carolinas.
I would assume there is a choice of law and forum clause in the ACC formation agreements, no?

What about this point Ispyin brought up and asked? Wouldn't this at least knock the agreement back to 2027 because 2/3 of the conference didn't agree to the extension and the conference commissioner just signed off on it?
This is what I'm hoping is the minimal outcome - just that the GOR extension gets thrown out, so will only be enforceable until June 30th, 2027 (before the 2027 CFB season).

Cost to leave then would be:
- Exit Fee = 3* Distribution = $130M.
- GOR = 2* Distribution (2025, 2026)= $87M. (The Grant of Rights expires June 30, 2027 in this scenario - so doesn't include the 2027 CFB season)
So, if this were the case I think at worst, the total cost to exit starting in 2025 season would be $217M.

But given most settlements for conference exit end up being like paying 2/3rd, I think It's realistic to negotiate this down to at least like $145M or less. Now, does this make sense to pay in order to get out beginning in the 2025 CFB season? Absolutely Yes.

Oregon and Washington basically just agreed to half shares in the Big10 until 2030. That's a minimum value of about 7*$30M= $210M (Hey look at that basically almost the same as that $217M figure we just calculated!). So that is essentially what those 2 programs are saying they were willing to pay to get in to the Big10. And that was WITHOUT having to fight any GOR/EXIT fee. And for us we'd be paying $145M to get out of 12 more years of a GOR. That's $12M/yr until 2036. The difference in Big10 Payout and ACC payout is expected to easily be >$25M/yr by 2030.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back