MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

The idea that UVA is this premium brand that conferences covet baffles me. If realignment is being driven by the networks, what value will they get from Virginia, a school that has no cachet among college football fans?
UVA brings a good brand, elite academics, a dedicated fanbase, prestige, and elite basketball and baseball programs to the table. On football, they could be a sleeping giant, but here's the thing and as a UVA alum it does pain me to say this, the school will never do what it needs to do to be a Top 25 CFB program.

First and foremost, they do not care if they're an elite CFB program or not. If UVA could find a coach that could win 7-8 games consistently and make a decent bowl every year, he'd be coach for life. They aren't going to go out and hire an elite and expensive coach. At best, they hire a coordinator who works out and ends up leaving for a bigger job in a few years. The issue isn't UVA's potential (there's plenty there), the issue is that the school's leadership doesn't value having an elite CFB program.

Also, VT dwarfs them in fan intensity and dedication in football. Their viewership numbers aren't great and they'd be Vandy 2.0 for the SEC. Makes sense though, geographically at least.

Advertisement
UVA brings a good brand, elite academics, a dedicated fanbase, prestige, and elite basketball and baseball programs to the table. On football, they could be a sleeping giant, but here's the thing and as a UVA alum it does pain me to say this, the school will never do what it needs to do to be a Top 25 CFB program.

First and foremost, they do not care if they're an elite CFB program or not. If UVA could find a coach that could win 7-8 games consistently and make a decent bowl every year, he'd be coach for life. They aren't going to go out and hire an elite and expensive coach. At best, they hire a coordinator who works out and ends up leaving for a bigger job in a few years. The issue isn't UVA's potential (there's plenty there), the issue is that the school's leadership doesn't value having an elite CFB program.

Also, VT dwarfs them in fan intensity and dedication in football. Their viewership numbers aren't great and they'd be Vandy 2.0 for the SEC. Makes sense though, geographically at least.

Disagree on the bolded parts, UVA is a very mediocre brand nation wide same goes for the fan base while they do have a good fan base it’s not large enough to bring in new tv views or ratings. No one would say they are a prestiges blue blood in sports. They are great academically for sure though.

Geography means nothing in the new TV environment .... its eyeballs watching games and 4M is the magic number. UVA will never be attractive to TV b/c they are never even remotely close to that number.

1.59M viewers for 7:30 Friday night game against NC State on ESPN

Attachments

• UVA.png
    UVA.png
    21 KB · Views: 0
Advertisement
??? Swaim isn't giving his opinion or reporting any actual "announcement" he is simply echoing baseless rumors that state "UNC / UVA" will be going to the SEC. Right now the public rumors are focused on FSU / Clemson as the "first two to move" then the comments that UNC is also aggressive regarding leaving ... pure speculation on UVA. Reality is that nobody knows and the "journalists" are competing for site traffic.
Important questions in all of this:

Has FSU/Clemson indeed found a loophole to get out of the GOR by transferring of their rights (because ACC and SEC share the same programming networks) or is there some other loophole? What is the SEC only wants those 2 teams and the B1G is not ready to expand yet?

Unless the SEC and B1G are willing to take more teams Miami and other team exits could be adversely affected. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Swaim, Genetics and others bring up 7 programs, with the 8th voting member being ND. The best scenario would be for 8 programs to exit before Stanford, Cal and SMU are voting members, but that may not happen if there are not enough destinations for programs to go to. Not only that, what programs are dumb enough to take a pay cut and go the B1G 12 route?

Disagree on the bolded parts, UVA is a very mediocre brand nation wide same goes for the fan base while they do have a good fan base it’s not large enough to bring in new tv views or ratings. No one would say they are a prestiges blue blood in sports. They are great academically for sure though.
I used "prestige" in the academic sense, not with regard to sports.

Those UVA - Vanderbilt tilts gonna be lit. I can anticipate the hundreds and possibly thousands of fans tuning in to the game on ESPN 84, the Leftovers.

Similarly I think the UNC / Purdue games won't be very well viewed nor Miami - Northwestern. Each will easily be a slaughter and CFB fans tune out at halftime to watch Notre Dame - Michigan State.

Michigan @ Miami though....now, those ******** owe use 2 ******* return trips.
Getting OSU in the Hard Rock at night in November or early October for a noon tilt when the heat is still on? **** we played FSU at noon and it was the best game ever played between us in 2000.

Speaking of which, you can count on the FSU game going to an every other year basis or every 5 yrs. FSU to the SEC means they'll get rid of it real fast.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Madden 21 had 8 college teams.....UNC and Virgina were not in that short list. Miami was. Miami IS one of the biggest brands in college football even though we have had down years. Saban has Bama good now, but they were trash for a good piece before him.

I am NOT an insider, but we bring eyeballs. WE are B10 bound.

Wish realignment never started. The teams are starting to correct themselves. Clemson is dumb to leave now. They are on the decline and will now further fall going to the SEC and they don't really have other sports they are really good at. I don't know about baseball hAve not looked into it.

Advertisement
Important questions in all of this:

Has FSU/Clemson indeed found a loophole to get out of the GOR by transferring of their rights (because ACC and SEC share the same programming networks) or is there some other loophole? What is the SEC only wants those 2 teams and the B1G is not ready to expand yet?

Unless the SEC and B1G are willing to take more teams Miami and other team exits could be adversely affected. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Swaim, Genetics and others bring up 7 programs, with the 8th voting member being ND. The best scenario would be for 8 programs to exit before Stanford, Cal and SMU are voting members, but that may not happen if there are not enough destinations for programs to go to. Not only that, what programs are dumb enough to take a pay cut and go the B1G 12 route?
Swaim and Genetics didn't "bring up 7 programs" that fact ... 7 programs expressing interest in leaving the ACC was reported on after day one of the ACC conference meeting in the Spring of 2023. UM fans HOPED that the 8 (7+ND) would have voted to dissolve the conference ... hasn't happened yet. Will it? Would be crazy for ND having pressured for Cal/Stan/SMU addition and then voting to dissolve.

Right now the interest by the Big 10 in adding a Southern Tier (potentially up to 4 ACC programs) has been "reported and speculated on" since the beginning of this year. Subsequently there have been rumors that "the SEC isn't going to stand by and watch all of the premium brands from this region be poached to broaden / strengthen the B10". It seems LIKELY that the SEC might take, initially, 2 programs, with the B10 adding 2. As far as GOR ... again rumors. One view is that the media partners are horse trading (including the CFplayoffs from 2026 on) to swap rights or have ESPN participate in some B10 broadcasts.

Another view is that the GOR isn't on as solid legal ground as some believe, due in large part by the manner in which the term was extended from 2026 ... adding another 10 years ... making it the longest GOR ever attached to a college program ... in some views "without consideration". That view believes that if there is a legal challenge mounted by several programs simultaneously there will be a settlement that won't be onerous. A lot can happen between now and when Cal/Stan/SMU join the conference. It is feasible that 4-6 of the top programs will announce their departure, play 2024 as their final season, and the ACC will be backfilling with programs like UCONN, South Florida, West Virginia, and the ESPN $$$ will most likely be reduced.

Advertisement
Back