MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

That’s what I’ve heard.

Oregon and Washington also threw a wrench in our outlook as well. We needed more time and the timing worked out for them to jump and they did.

No doubt I think it still happens before 2036 but I think it’s closer to 2030 than it happening today. 2027 sounds like the earliest possibility for us and that’s everything working in Miami’s favor

These are also outsiders to Miami and the ACC saying this. Their view and what they’re hearing from others.

Those outsiders are wrong.

Advertisement
There may be some logic to this statement. The financial collapse of the regional sports networks may be the minor gastroenterological disturbance before a more seismic dump of the sports contracts. An underappreciated fact may be the grudging acceptance of a more direct legal gambling investment in sports.
I think I love you.

The die has been cast. I'm sorry my former friend now turned mortal enemy.

We must meet on the field of battle whereby through the righteousness of the Orange and Green god I will smite thee and thou most unholy filth from these lands.

I saw it in a movie once, so it seems the most appropriate way.

You understand I hope.
My champion will be Oberyn of House Martell.

I’m gonna die but with style.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Adding these 3 seems like such a stretch… I have nothing against those 3 schools, but to your point, a proactive conference would have had a better plan and more attractive schools…

Palo Alto and Stanford is wonderful, but if I’m gearing up to fly to California for a football game, I was hoping for LA and USC…

SMU with TCU or Baylor… great… for Texas… Just SMU … 🤷🏻‍♂️

The ACwtfC …
You'll enjoy cosmopolitan Dallas a lot more than Waco or Ft Worth.

if we're talking staying in the ACC until 2030, that alone may be enough to kill our program... i can't imagine Mario being able to recruit top tier kids against the B1G and SEC as long as we're in the ACC and don't have an announced path/plan to leave...

i think that partially explains FSU's rise in recruiting this year.. they're telling kids that they're leaving the ACC and they're publicly backing that sentiment up...

edit: you can't go 7 years with a $30-$40mil a year revenue gap AND a talent/recruiting gap as well... will be hard to come back from that...

They will have ticket sales and merch, which should see a nice uptick. And alumni contributions from oilmen.

Next time you fill up your tank, remember that you are subsidizing SMU's entry into the ACC...
They will get other ACC payouts from things other than media rights, yes? Bowl money, ncaa tourney money and that type of stuff?

Advertisement
if we're talking staying in the ACC until 2030, that alone may be enough to kill our program... i can't imagine Mario being able to recruit top tier kids against the B1G and SEC as long as we're in the ACC and don't have an announced path/plan to leave...

i think that partially explains FSU's rise in recruiting this year.. they're telling kids that they're leaving the ACC and they're publicly backing that sentiment up...

edit: you can't go 7 years with a $30-$40mil a year revenue gap AND a talent/recruiting gap as well... will be hard to come back from that...
absolute doomsday scenario for sure

Besides a few posters on here who claim that we are "moving in silence" and "will be in the Big 10 by 2026", does anyone think this is actually true. Seems that we are blindly following these posters because all of Miami's public moves tell the contrary. If Miami stays in the ACC the program is dead. It is a sad fact but it is true.
Wonder if Rad quietly believes that Miami's future on any national sports stage is with Basketball. Our demographic sorta screams that. And, it has since well before last season's unexpected Final Four run. If so, the ACC is still the place to be (Rad may see us as more akin to Duke).

Alternative view...

Ad revenue doesn't materialize to support SEC and BIG10 payouts and ACCs deal is more sustainable.

Jim Phillips, now a booger eating mouth breather, becomes lauded has a conference genius in 2030...

I'm not saying it will happen....

Alternative alternative view

What I said all along- the GOR is Rad's baby. The explicit purpose of the GOR was to keep the ACC intact, so it's doing exactly what he (and all the other ACC AD's) wanted it to do. Top teams getting better offers and wanting to leave isn't some unplanned event. As it stands, any team can leave the ACC at any time, they just have to pay the ACC all the money they receive from a new conference.

Best case scenario, enough teams vote for dissolving the ACC, but you have years of litigation. If Disney wins the lawsuit, then they are line to be awarded hundreds of millions in damages. Basically all the former ACC schools would have played for free (essentially what SMU is going to do in the ACC) in their new conference. Dissolving the conference and fighting it out in court would be too much of a risk for most schools, so the ACC Commissioners were going to try and go the other way, which is expansion. It gives a lifeline for at least the next 5 years. I don't think this goes through 2036 though, my guess is around 2028-2029 we'll see the big change- the big ACC schools go to different conferences like B1G and SEC, the ACC will then bring in some schools to take their spots. Our best case scenario in that timeframe is that we are able to be nationally competitive by 2028 (an ACC championship or two would be nice), so both the SEC and B1G compete for UM.

Advertisement
I think if Miami wants get back to playing national-championship level college football it only makes sense to leave the ACC for either the SEC or B1G. Those two conferences already dominate recruiting and television, and will only grow stronger once USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington join the B1G and Oklahoma and Texas join the SEC.

The Big 12 and the ACC will be on the outside looking in.

Advertisement
Back