MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Well...They used to be big time or P5. It would be cool to see them become very good.
1693585832532.png

Advertisement
What team should we start to follow when Miami will be as relevant as Bethune Cookman*? Asking for a moper friend.

*plus the multi-million dollar facility

What IF, NCST & UNC were hard NO since they now know, schools could leave easier? Or has that been debunked already??

@TheOriginalCane ??

I think that 6 or 8 months ago, there was more "mystery" about who was unhappy.

At this point, I think we all know who wants to move on. And we all know that the TV networks are familiar with who wants to move on.

Therefore...this is what I think will happen, and the reasons why...

1. ACC - can immediately withstand the loss of 4 teams without having to "expand again" (more on that later). "But I read that the ACC needs 15 teams with ESPN"...sure, but those 15 include non-football ND, so all you would need to do is ask UConn if they want to hoop with us. So the IMMEDIATE hot-to-trot schools (Miami, Clemson, F$U) can leave without destroying the ACC (GOR to be addressed separately, since it is "easy" if ACC teams go to the SEC, and trickier if ACC teams go to the Big 10)

2. SEC is on deck - yes we have heard that the Big 10 is the one with the most networks and timeslots, and I honestly believe that the Big 10 endgame is 24 teams. But what that means to the SEC is that they have to **** or get off the pot. Ideally, the SEC would match the Big 10 move for move, BUT they have an unpredictable TV partner in ABC-ESPN. Ultimately, whether ABC-ESPN has the timeslots for a Supersize SEC depends on whether the ACC lives or dies. And since the SEC is fanatical about footprint and the dream of the old 13-state Confederacy (including non-secession slave states Kentucky and Missouri), allow me to propose what would be the KILLER "go to 24" SEC plan: F$U, Clemson, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, GaTech, and Team #8 (Louisville, Tulane, Baylor, OK State). However, I don't think they will go to 8, 2-4 seems more likely. The GOR is easily flippable for ACC schools, as ABC-ESPN control both SEC and ACC content.

3. Big 10 countermove - this is where it gets trickier. Some of the same southeastern teams are desirable (F$U, Clemson, North Carolina). You also have Miami and POTENTIALLY Notre Dame. Now, before everyone craps on ND joining a conference, let me just say - if it's possible to offer Washington-Oregon HALF-SHARES, then it is certainly possible to offer ND an ENHANCED share to bring football. Now, my personal preference would be for the Big 10 to strike first. But ESPN is likely ****-blocking this a bit by making the GOR flippety-flop more complex, which is what greases the skids for the SEC to move first. The Big 10 only needs 4 teams to get to 24. Miami and Notre Dame would be the primary two ASSUMING the SEC takes Clemson-FSU. So then you look at the possibility of two more, and since it seems that UNC might be leaning to the SEC, I would say that the smartest 2 to take from the ACC would be VaTech and GaTech. If ND doesn't join for all sports and Clemson-F$U go SEC, then I could see Miami, VaTech, GaTech, and Team #4 (Pitt or USF). To be honest, USF is one of the smartest stealth moves that the Big 10 can make, given the demographics, AAU, on-campus stadium, and TV market (and it would be a dagger in UCF's heart).

4. Big 12 - who gives a ****.

5. ACC - if you are replacing 6 teams (and you already have 3 on-board), then I would say Washington State, Oregon State, USF are good targets.

Advertisement
I think that 6 or 8 months ago, there was more "mystery" about who was unhappy.

At this point, I think we all know who wants to move on. And we all know that the TV networks are familiar with who wants to move on.

Therefore...this is what I think will happen, and the reasons why...

1. ACC - can immediately withstand the loss of 4 teams without having to "expand again" (more on that later). "But I read that the ACC needs 15 teams with ESPN"...sure, but those 15 include non-football ND, so all you would need to do is ask UConn if they want to hoop with us. So the IMMEDIATE hot-to-trot schools (Miami, Clemson, F$U) can leave without destroying the ACC (GOR to be addressed separately, since it is "easy" if ACC teams go to the SEC, and trickier if ACC teams go to the Big 10)

2. SEC is on deck - yes we have heard that the Big 10 is the one with the most networks and timeslots, and I honestly believe that the Big 10 endgame is 24 teams. But what that means to the SEC is that they have to **** or get off the pot. Ideally, the SEC would match the Big 10 move for move, BUT they have an unpredictable TV partner in ABC-ESPN. Ultimately, whether ABC-ESPN has the timeslots for a Supersize SEC depends on whether the ACC lives or dies. And since the SEC is fanatical about footprint and the dream of the old 13-state Confederacy (including non-secession slave states Kentucky and Missouri), allow me to propose what would be the KILLER "go to 24" SEC plan: F$U, Clemson, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, GaTech, and Team #8 (Louisville, Tulane, Baylor, OK State). However, I don't think they will go to 8, 2-4 seems more likely. The GOR is easily flippable for ACC schools, as ABC-ESPN control both SEC and ACC content.

3. Big 10 countermove - this is where it gets trickier. Some of the same southeastern teams are desirable (F$U, Clemson, North Carolina). You also have Miami and POTENTIALLY Notre Dame. Now, before everyone craps on ND joining a conference, let me just say - if it's possible to offer Washington-Oregon HALF-SHARES, then it is certainly possible to offer ND an ENHANCED share to bring football. Now, my personal preference would be for the Big 10 to strike first. But ESPN is likely ****-blocking this a bit by making the GOR flippety-flop more complex, which is what greases the skids for the SEC to move first. The Big 10 only needs 4 teams to get to 24. Miami and Notre Dame would be the primary two ASSUMING the SEC takes Clemson-FSU. So then you look at the possibility of two more, and since it seems that UNC might be leaning to the SEC, I would say that the smartest 2 to take from the ACC would be VaTech and GaTech. If ND doesn't join for all sports and Clemson-F$U go SEC, then I could see Miami, VaTech, GaTech, and Team #4 (Pitt or USF). To be honest, USF is one of the smartest stealth moves that the Big 10 can make, given the demographics, AAU, on-campus stadium, and TV market (and it would be a dagger in UCF's heart).

4. Big 12 - who gives a ****.

5. ACC - if you are replacing 6 teams (and you already have 3 on-board), then I would say Washington State, Oregon State, USF are good targets.
If both FSU and Miami leave, I suspect you are correct that the ACC would go after USF or *possibly* FAU. They won't want to abandon the Florida market.

Wtf is the upside to us voting yes on expansion?
When FSU and Clemson and possibly more dip out that gives ESPN the opportunity to renegotiate/adjust the $ on the contract.

When they dipped, payouts would put us even further behind.

It’s blatantly obvious numbers aren’t there to dissolve the conference, Fox doesn’t want Miami like they do FSU and Clemson, the SEC doesn’t want Miami or Miami doesn’t want the SEC, and there is no private equity ready to bail Miami out of the ACC.

I highly doubt this is the Avenue Miami wants or prefers but it’s the only logical one that doesn’t ruin us until we figure out where we actually stand and can act on it.

Wtf is the upside to us voting yes on expansion?
The same as voting no.

Flugauer has been saying for the last week or so — however long this Stan/Cal/SMU talk has been going on — that adding schools would NOT make it any easier or any more difficult for the discontented ACC schools to leave the conference.

Paraphrasing here (and it's almost certainly coming from his FSU source(s): "It won't clutter up the exit ramp one bit."

I think the reasoning behind the "no votes" by FSU, Clemson and North Carolina is spelled out by the statement from UNC's Board of Trustees last night, which essentially dismissed ACC expansion as a legitimate solution for the league's financial issues.

TL/DR version: "This expansion changes nothing. The ACC will have the same $$$ problems whether or not those three schools are admitted."

Advertisement
Ugh. Stop making stuff up.

The "insiders" here said FSU and Miami were leaving by August 15. That ESPN was negotiating with Fox. That Miami would never vote for expansion. That there are easy ways to break an assignment. And that a majority of votes dissolves the conference and presumably that makes its assets disappear or something.

It's all message board armchair lawyer BS.

The insiders didn't say any of the things that you claim.

As per usual, you type false information under the veneer of being knowledgable. You are not.

Had them listed on the same tier, so their "value" is similar imo

Miami brings more baggage than Duke if we're being honest.

Duke arguably is the No. 1 college basketball brand in the country -- something we were in football two decades ago but certainly not at this time
Basketball is practically irrelevant to the conversation.

Advertisement
When FSU and Clemson and possibly more dip out that gives ESPN the opportunity to renegotiate/adjust the $ on the contract.

When they dipped, payouts would put us even further behind.

It’s blatantly obvious numbers aren’t there to dissolve the conference, Fox doesn’t want Miami like they do FSU and Clemson, the SEC doesn’t want Miami or Miami doesn’t want the SEC, and there is no private equity ready to bail Miami out of the ACC.

I highly doubt this is the Avenue Miami wants or prefers but it’s the only logical one that doesn’t ruin us until we figure out where we actually stand and can act on it.
This is really sad to read and makes sense for Miami to be in favor of.

Oregon and Washington going to the B10 may have killed Miami sports. A million other things too, but that move was the blade reaching bone.

Win 9 games and shows some signs of life, and see how fast the Big 10 wants us (there’s no good info out there that they don’t, just mopes doing their usual bull****).

Advertisement
Miami will end up in the Big10 as I doubt the SEC wants Miami AND the academics align much better in the Big10 for both parties.

Miami isn't going to get left behind for a number of reasons:
1. We are in a top TV market
2. Top recruiting location
3. History of winning in the 3 revenue sports
4. AAU membership
5. Medical research
6. Willing to spend to win in sports
7. Viewship when we are a top 25 team is really good. See 2017: https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017-college-football-tv-ratings/
I don’t understand why it’s so hard for some of you on this board to realize the above. Literally show any sign of life in football and you’re gonna have two conferences that want you. Not to mention our production in basketball and baseball.

Oregon and Washington going to the B10 may have killed Miami sports. A million other things too, but that move was the blade reaching bone.
Alternative view...

Ad revenue doesn't materialize to support SEC and BIG10 payouts and ACCs deal is more sustainable.

Jim Phillips, now a booger eating mouth breather, becomes lauded has a conference genius in 2030...

I'm not saying it will happen....

Will we be able to have a new life after the death of the program? I mean if a man can marry again after the death of the first wife we should be able to find a new team.

Maybe we could merge CanesInsight with TigerDroppings.com, do we like LSU? I do.

UGA could be an option but, like Alabama, they are boring.

I like also USC though, The U of the west. Don’t want to support a poverty program ever again.

*sarcasm against the mopers and doom&gloom of the last 3 hours on this thread*

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back