MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Do you get the sense that UM's leadership has moved from an abstention (aka a soft "no") in the straw poll to "yes" should an actual vote to expand come to pass?

If so, what's the deciding factor? And is DanRad being overridden in the decision-making process?

(Likely missed some of recent posts in this thread, so SIAP)

For the record, I still think the B1G takes Stanford and Cal — likely for less/way less $$$ than OU and UW — despite current indications otherwise

A faculty member used the word "impulsive" to describe Julio. I just looked at it again on my phone to make sure I got it right. Also said Rudy has been "glaringly silent" on this issue.

So, yeah, as much as I'd love to report pie-in-the-sky unity and a clarity of negotiating positions, I really don't think that the people who have participated and/or collaborated on decisions over the past two years (Julio, Joe, Rudy, and/or Dan) are all pulling their oars in the same direction right now. Again, I have no problem with the GENERAL issue of expansion if we are able to get concessions in the process of supporting it.

I think that Julio is looking at this heavily from an academic angle. Why would the ACC NOT WANT Stanford & Cal? That's a tremendous academic win, right?

And I think Dan knows the situation well, and will try to get whatever he can out of this if Frenk decides what I expect him to decide.

I just laugh at all the know-nothings who act like everything is binary. As if Dan would just quit his job because Julio votes his conscience (right or wrong). As if there are no other ways out of the ACC, and that by taking three more schools (we have NO IDEA when they would get voting rights, but likely next August) we are somehow permanently stuck in the ACC.

Good lord, we have some people who have never spent a day in the big business world analyzing and making deals. And, sure, some of our posters may be great small businessmen, they may have built their own local busineses, or they may be talented salesmen.

But this ACC mess has been going on for a year. At this point, people know who needs to jump to the Big 10/SEC to make more money, vs. who will never get their own offers to do so. Look, I'm no fan of "Es before Cs" (expansions before contractions), but it's not a fatal blow either. There are still a half-dozen different plays to be made, but our most pessimistic porsters have turned "Miami voting in favor of Stanford-Cal-SMU" into the worst thing on the planet since Chamberlain allowed Hitler to annex the Sudetenland.

I have already laid out my predictions. Anyone can check my math after all of the drama unfolds.

1. I believe the Big 10 is done FOR NOW with 4 teams coming aboard in 2024. They will have 2.5 years to prepare for (what I believe to be) the MOST LIKELY end-game of 6 additional teams by 2026, which is the first year of the NEW contract to broadcast the post-season (which is expanding to 12 teams sooner than the new TV contract). If the Big 10 and the SEC want to ice any other conferences out of the post-season, they at least need to announce an INTENTION to get bigger. So it doesn't all have to take place immediately, but everyone should know the score soon.

2. If the Big 10 adds 6 more teams, a lot will turn on the geography. While there was a previously-announced "no divisions" approach, this was based on only USC and UCLA joining the Big 10. Now that Washington-Oregon bring the number to 18, we might see a revisitation of pod play, particularly give the expression of concern for travel costs by Washington-Oregon. Given the current makeup, the 6-team pod that makes the most sense is USC-UCLA-Washington-Oregon-Nebraska-Minnesota. This would also facilitate a 6-team addition in 2026, and would give the Big 10 time to plan.

3. If the Big 10 expansion will be 6 teams, it would turn on two primary issues, whether Notre Dame is willing to join a conference, and whether the SEC expands. We know that F$U covets the SEC, and maybe Clemson does too. So the real question becomes how many slots are available at the Big 2 and whether they are all east coast teams or Stanford/Cal sneak into the mix. Going SOLELY by TV viewership (not just "size" of TV market), it could be 8 eastern teams that get bids, but it's possible that Stanford-Cal snipe the last 2 spots.

4. My best guess is that the SEC takes 2-4 teams and the Big 10 takes 6. I think the SEC would consider taking F$U, Clemson, UNC, and UVa or VaTech, largely in that order. I think the Big 10 will consider Notre Dame, F$U, Clemson, Miami, UNC, UVa, VaTech, GaTech, Stanford, and Cal, largely in that order. I think the Big 12 would pick up most of what is left (no guarantees for BC, Syracuse, or Wake).

Make no mistake, this is about locking up as many of the best content properties (colleges) and TV eyeballs as possible. It is not about academics or geography or culture. It will be limited by how much the respective networks are able to spend, and how many timeslots they have to fill. The titanic fight that is brewing is whether ESPN retains, or the Fox rebel alliance steals, the college football playoff games beginning in 2026.

Advertisement
[BGCOLOR=initial]If you actually believe that Rad is against expansion, but Frenk is voting against Rads advice [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]
Hot Shots Idiot GIF
[/BGCOLOR]

If true, then I would expect that Rad would be preparing his resignation because this would be the most consequential decision in the history of UM sports, and I highly doubt Rad would want his legacy to be getting kneecapped by a school president and permanently ******** UM sports. Or you know, there is the more logical explanation which is that Rads Plan A is to try and save the ACC, and Frenk is just going along with that.
I think Rad and Frenk have crunched numbers and have a time frame in mind if the ACC blow up doesn't happen. Just trying to minimize the costs to leave as much as possible.

Stanford's academics may be on the decline due to their admissions policies. I recently listened to a podcast (can't remember which one) but they were interviewing tech professionals where they basically said they'd much rather hire a programmer from GA Tech than from Stanford these days.
I don't find that surprising though. I work in IT and don't think of people that to go Stanford, Harvard, Yale, etc for actual programming and never have; I always thought of them more the start your own business or go into some type of management/consulting/lawyer, etc.

Last edited:
Again SIAP:

Flugauer said yesterday that any ACC expansion — including the trio being floated the past couple weeks — will not impact the ability of UM, FSU, Clemson or any other school to leave. He said a couple of his sources were adamant about expansion being a non-issue for the would-be ACC escapees.

Yup. If more people would just listen to Uncle T.O.C. on these issues, they'd soon realize that I'm spot-on. Glad to see Flugauer got this one right.

I'll try to provide an example.

If this "academic clout" of Stanford's was so powerful, then the "university presidents" who should have been the MOST impressed should have been the Big 10 presidents.

The fact that Stanford could not even get a "half-share" payout from the Big 10, and might be taking less than $20M from the ACC is just an example of how little "academic clout" they actually have.

Nobody seems to care. Stanford might not even get into the ACC...based solely on TV/money issues, having nothing to do with academic clout.

And the fact that the Big 10's top 2 targets are two schools that are not even in the AAU should be a good indication that this round of expansion is ALLLLLL about the money. **** the "old model" of Rutgers/Maryland, which were 2 AAU schools in huge TV markets, even though very few people in those TV markets cared enough to watch those schools.

Oh, and don't look now, but a few years ago the Big 10 DELAYED giving Rutgers and Maryland the "full-share" they were promised, so it's pretty clear that "academic clout" is not really doing anything here.

Frenk is just a short-sighted idiot for voting "yes", unless we have substantial concessions being promised to us.
I don’t get how the board allows him to go against rad

Advertisement
Read the thread.

Generally, the reason to oppose expansion is due to their being more schools which can vote, thus making a vote to dissolve the ACC harder to win by majority vote. With 15 schools, you need 8 votes to dissolve the ACC. With 18 schools, you need 10 votes to dissolve the ACC.

Frenk favors expansion, Rad does not. Frenk gets to cast Miami's vote.

Generally, the only "good" reason to be in favor of expansion is kindness and helpfulness towards whatever teams remain in the ACC, so that the ACC does not dip below 15 teams, which would allow ESPN to renegotiate an even LOWER below-market payout to the ACC.
that seems wrong...why is Frenk getting involved? this is an athletic decision isn't it?

I thought he was turning over all athletic decisions to the VP Rad as well as Echeverria and Fernandez who lead the Mario hire?

Frenk elevated athletics and gave the AD the VP title to lure Rad from Clemson and now Frenk isn't letting him do his job?

I don’t get how the board allows him to go against rad

I think the BOT can vote on MIAMI joining or leaving a conference. But I don't think they can dictate every other Presidential vote that the ACC holds.

This one's on Julio. For good or bad.

that seems wrong...why is Frenk getting involved? this is an athletic decision isn't it?

I thought he was turning over all athletic decisions to the VP Rad as well as Echeverria and Fernandez who lead the Mario hire?

Frenk elevated athletics and gave the AD the VP title to lure Rad from Clemson and now Frenk isn't letting him do his job?

Annnnd...I tried to tell people that Frenk wasn't a good President 7 or 8 years ago.

I emphathize with you, and you did a good job of summarizing. I would simply say...why does any of your summary surprise you (or any of us)?

Advertisement
Annnnd...I tried to tell people that Frenk wasn't a good President 7 or 8 years ago.

I emphathize with you, and you did a good job of summarizing. I would simply say...why does any of your summary surprise you (or any of us)?
There's definitely been some strong opinions against Frenk since he started. I remember from back on RCT his hire was fairly controversial and not many believed he'd do anything good for athletics.

4. My best guess is that the SEC takes 2-4 teams and the Big 10 takes 6. I think the SEC would consider taking F$U, Clemson, UNC, and UVa or VaTech, largely in that order. I think the Big 10 will consider Notre Dame, F$U, Clemson, Miami, UNC, UVa, VaTech, GaTech, Stanford, and Cal, largely in that order. I think the Big 12 would pick up most of what is left (no guarantees for BC, Syracuse, or Wake).
I'd have VTech and Stanford above UVA and GTech for B10. Stanford usually gets better ratings than UVA and GTech.

Louisville also gets good ratings.... And Baylor would probably be a B10 target to get into Texas, Think they get solid ratings as well - And I'm sure B10 wants a Texas presence eventually, Unless they can get Texas/A&M Baylor may be next best option.

I'd have VTech and Stanford above UVA and GTech for B10. Stanford usually gets better ratings than UVA and GTech.

Louisville also gets good ratings.... And Baylor would probably be a B10 target to get into Texas, Think they get solid ratings as well - And I'm sure B10 wants a Texas presence eventually, Unless they can get Texas/A&M Baylor may be next best option.
GTech gets the B10 GA which causes an automatic increase in money from the networks. That would likely be why they would slot ahead of some other schools that may have larger ratings.

Advertisement
GTech gets the B10 GA which causes an automatic increase in money from the networks. That would likely be why they would slot ahead of some other schools that may have larger ratings.

Yes. It also addresses a valid point that Genetics raised, which is that as the midwestern population moves to the southeast, the Big 10 schools are looking to draw STUDENTS from areas outside of their traditional homebases. Thus, it might not make sense to add a fifth and sixth university on the Pacific coast as it is to add ONE university in Atlanta.

Also, there are a TON of people moving to Atlanta from other places, thus even though UGa is predominant, there are still a TON of people who live in Atlanta who are not rabid Bulldogs.

Advertisement
Rumors everywhere ... little or no substance. Did read one "Clemson site writer" stated "his sources told him that there would be an announcement in 4-5 weeks" regarding Clemson's decision to leave ... thought it might coincide with the Clemson / FSU game at the end of September.

Advertisement
Back