MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

The financial impact of ESPN NOT HAVING the broadcast rights for FSU / Clemson / Miami would be huge to ESPN and would not be offset by having the broadcast rights to Cal/Stan/SMU. That is the issue with the GOR. Has to be some horse trading done by the B10 if they are the ones adding the ACC programs.
But our agreement was with ACC not ESPN. So if per program payout remains unaffected, does ACC have argument we are harming them?

Advertisement
Assume Miami, Clemson and FSU leave.

UNC, NC St, Wake, BC, Syracuse, GT, Louisville, Pitt, VA, VA Tech, Duke. +. Stanford, Cal and SMU
That would at least be comparable to Big12, but their top priority would need to bring in another Florida school to replace Miami and FSU. And another western school or Texas school.

If this happens, it is 100 percent imperative that Miami leaves first or together with the first teams. Anything else would be unacceptable.
I've not yet made my final call.

I'll let you know right after the public release from ACC, that I of course will have approved beforehand.

Advertisement
I'm not sure that Bob Thompson added anything new, but I'll provide an example.

When the Big 12 lost Nebraska and Mizzou, their TV partners were willing to pay them the SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY for fewer teams and fewer games. Thus, in THAT situation, the "composition clause" was not invoked, largely because Nebraska and Mizzou didn't move the needle in the Big 12.

HOWEVER, and you can read between the lines, the "three teams" most likely to leave the ACC are not "Nebraska/Mizzou" level, they are three of the best teams in the ACC and our TV partners would ABSOLUTELY invoke the "composition clause" to pay the ACC less money.

To take the example a bit further...if Boston College, Syracuse, and Wake suddenly (and inexplicably) told the ACC they were leaving, I highly doubt that ESPN/ABC would give a ****. I think they would continue to pay the ACC the contracted-for money (with, perhaps, a PRO RATA reduction for fewer teams/fewer games).

BUT, if Miami, Clemson, and F$U were to leave the ACC, there is no way in **** that ESPN/ABC would continue to pay $35M per school to the ACC, whether for 15 schools or 12. In other words, if the Big 3 were to leave the ACC, you can bet your paycheck that ESPN/ABC will try to come back with "$25M per school for 12 schools".

And THAT would be brutal for the schools that stay in the ACC.

(plus it assumes that only 3 schools would exit, I could see 6-8 schools leaving, with the ACC taking USF and then trying to poach UCF and WVU and maybe even Cincinnati)

I'm not sure that Bob Thompson added anything new, but I'll provide an example.

When the Big 12 lost Nebraska and Mizzou, their TV partners were willing to pay them the SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY for fewer teams and fewer games. Thus, in THAT situation, the "composition clause" was not invoked, largely because Nebraska and Mizzou didn't move the needle in the Big 12.

HOWEVER, and you can read between the lines, the "three teams" most likely to leave the ACC are not "Nebraska/Mizzou" level, they are three of the best teams in the ACC and our TV partners would ABSOLUTELY invoke the "composition clause" to pay the ACC less money.

To take the example a bit further...if Boston College, Syracuse, and Wake suddenly (and inexplicably) told the ACC they were leaving, I highly doubt that ESPN/ABC would give a ****. I think they would continue to pay the ACC the contracted-for money (with, perhaps, a PRO RATA reduction for fewer teams/fewer games).

BUT, if Miami, Clemson, and F$U were to leave the ACC, there is no way in **** that ESPN/ABC would continue to pay $35M per school to the ACC, whether for 15 schools or 12. In other words, if the Big 3 were to leave the ACC, you can bet your paycheck that ESPN/ABC will try to come back with "$25M per school for 12 schools".

And THAT would be brutal for the schools that stay in the ACC.

(plus it assumes that only 3 schools would exit, I could see 6-8 schools leaving, with the ACC taking USF and then trying to poach UCF and WVU and maybe even Cincinnati)
So does adding Stanford, SMU and Cal mean the ACC will still get same money if Miami, FSU and Clemson leave?

Advertisement
So does adding Stanford, SMU and Cal mean the ACC will still get same money if Miami, FSU and Clemson leave?

Hard to know for certain without seeing the contract.

1. Pro-rata "increase" for new teams appears to be reported as $24M per.
2. Current payout by the ACC appears to be around $35M per school per year.
3. But what if ESPN pays an extra 24M for the schools that join, then deducts 24M for the schools that leave? Then they would be paying the ACC the same for different teams.

Advertisement
Why do I feel like it would be better for us to go Big 10/Fox, instead of the SEC/ESPN, which truly means Disney. A lot of **** is going to hit with Disney and who knows where its all going to land.

If ESPN has to pay the same average per school whether we are in the conference or not (because 15 members is maintained), then are we able to get out of GOR without much if any expense? I’d think if by us leaving we aren’t harming the conference in any way (financially nothing changes) then they have little to argue that we should have to pay more than our exit fee….

Only problem with this is if it is just P5 members (TVD if SMU counts in this), why not add WSU/ORSt too? That’s be 4-5 schools then that could leave which makes even more sense tbh
In that scenario it makes perfect sense to add them because that group of 4 could play each other every year and save a bigger portion on travel (2 more games on their coast). With that said, does ESPN add the same $ for each team? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Comedy Sketch GIF by NETFLIX

If ESPN has to pay the same average per school whether we are in the conference or not (because 15 members is maintained), then are we able to get out of GOR without much if any expense? I’d think if by us leaving we aren’t harming the conference in any way (financially nothing changes) then they have little to argue that we should have to pay more than our exit fee….

Only problem with this is if it is just P5 members (TVD if SMU counts in this), why not add WSU/ORSt too? That’s be 4-5 schools then that could leave which makes even more sense tbh
Why do I have this vision of Lashlee running up the score on Mario…lol

Joking outside, appears Miami is on the outside looking in. FSU and Clempson seem to be strong arming and either will get more money from ACC members to stay or they’re leaving.

Why do I have this vision of Lashlee running up the score on Mario…lol

Joking outside, appears Miami is on the outside looking in. FSU and Clempson seem to be strong arming and either will get more money from ACC members to stay or they’re leaving.
Won't be "Clemson or FSU" getting more money ... it will be whoever FINISHES in the top 4 slots in the conference. Want more $$$ win more games (or leave the ACC ... preferably).

Advertisement
Back