MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
I do wonder if Miami thinks, or has been told by other schools in another conference, that it's in their best long term interest to allow these teams to join.

giphy.gif

I do wonder if Miami thinks, or has been told by other schools in another conference, that it's in their best long term interest to allow these teams to join.

Miami doesn’t have a landing spot outside of the ACC. That could change, but a “yes” vote is the best evidence of that. I have zero confidence that Miami won’t **** this up.

Advertisement
Miami doesn’t have a landing spot outside of the ACC. That could change, but a “yes” vote is the best evidence of that. I have zero confidence that Miami won’t **** this up.
School has always been reactive, what’s new? Best bet for everyone is to let it play out and enjoy the season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami may or may not have landing spots. Read the previous 500 pages and you will see self-proclaimed expert insiders telling you lies, but they don't know more than any other fake insider if the Big10 or SEC want to expand at all, or to what #, and/or if Miami would be included. But it's a moot point because Miami, like every other ACC school, is locked into a GOR for a long while.

The only smart play, and I'm sure Miami realizes it, is to strengthen the ACC and increase the payout in the interim. See how things look in 7-8 years.

And to be clear, we are talking athletic budgets moving into the $150mm -$200mm range and getting higher. A $20mm shortfall in broadcast revenue sucks, but it's not insurmountable. Maybe you field less sports. Maybe you need to be smarter with coaching hires. You definitely need to raise money from alums and through ticket sales. You work to lower the delta by pushing ESPN and pushing inequal distributions, but it's doable. If athletic revenues go directly to athletes eventually it will be different, but we aren't there.

I'm watching the Orioles and Rays outclass the Yankees, Red Sox and Jays with a fraction of the payroll.

He can’t do it. It’s not in his DNA. The best I can hope for is that he wasn’t wrong but he’s focused on something different than I’m focused on or something to that effect. 😂

I will tell you that you are right and I am wrong 100% of the time when it happens. But we can't change the words that were written on this thread. You may have intended to say that Condi was gonna get Stanford an ACC invite, and a hall pass, and a free Flanigan's cup, but I never saw anyone clarify anything when we all were talking about Notre Dame.

Oh well.

Advertisement
I will tell you that you are right and I am wrong 100% of the time when it happens. But we can't change the words that were written on this thread. You may have intended to say that Condi was gonna get Stanford an ACC invite, and a hall pass, and a free Flanigan's cup, but I never saw anyone clarify anything when we all were talking about Notre Dame.

Oh well.
Yeah, Stanford for me IIRC which would be why I asked if they hired her. I don’t even remember the broader conversation beyond Cal and ND being mentioned. I don’t have a dog in the fight beyond saying Rice shouldn’t be underestimated and we don’t know if she holds any cards or not but she’s a highly capable person.

Huuuuuuhhhhh???

I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but walk me through your train of thought to justify this assumption

Miami may or may not have landing spots. Read the previous 500 pages and you will see self-proclaimed expert insiders telling you lies, but they don't know more than any other fake insider if the Big10 or SEC want to expand at all, or to what #, and/or if Miami would be included. But it's a moot point because Miami, like every other ACC school, is locked into a GOR for a long while.

The only smart play, and I'm sure Miami realizes it, is to strengthen the ACC and increase the payout in the interim. See how things look in 7-8 years.

And to be clear, we are talking athletic budgets moving into the $150mm -$200mm range and getting higher. A $20mm shortfall in broadcast revenue sucks, but it's not insurmountable. Maybe you field less sports. Maybe you need to be smarter with coaching hires. You definitely need to raise money from alums and through ticket sales. You work to lower the delta by pushing ESPN and pushing inequal distributions, but it's doable. If athletic revenues go directly to athletes eventually it will be different, but we aren't there.

I'm watching the Orioles and Rays outclass the Yankees, Red Sox and Jays with a fraction of the payroll.

Oh, yeah. The fraud with all the easy, vague, overly simplistic answers.

Strengthen the ACC...sure. HOW? By adding 3 schools for 2 sports? Oh, what an act of strength...

Increase the payout in the interim? HOW? By giving whatever blood we can squeeze from the stone to (predominantly) one school like Clemson who may end up leaving anyhow? Brilliant.

See how things look in 7-8 years? Yep, they'll look even worse when nothing is done to fix the problem. How did Miami's facilities look when we waited for decades to do what other schools were doing? How does it work out when schools retain bad coaches because they are afraid to pay buyouts? I'll wait until you can produce some rousing success stories based on "waiting 7-8 years to see how things look".

Oh, sure, "athletic budgets are moving into the $150M to $200M range and getting higher". Really? Maybe for the Big 10 and SEC, but not for the ACC, WHICH IS EXACTLY THE POINT. Here, I'll even prove my accurate point (and your exaggeration) by providing real numbers from June 2023, not just your crazy guesstimates (keep in mind that the private schools are not listed, such as Miami, Duke, Wake, BC, Pitt, and Syracuse).

A couple of points to note, two of the three "biggest budgets" in the ACC belong to teams with the largest stadiums, thus they have more revenue AND ALSO more corresponding expense due to the on-campus stadium costs. And there is no way in **** that ANY of those private schools would be in the top half of ACC athletic budgets, with the possible exception of Miami. Meaning, that ACC BUDGETS are more likely to be in the $75M to $150M range, outside of Clemson and F$U.

1692910666600.png

As for your nonsense about a MERE "$20M shortfall", it's actually $25M and will grow on an annual basis while we "wait to see how things look".

Maybe you field less sports? Brilliant. I'm sure that has no impact on Title IX or anything else, right? And maybe you're unaware that if we join the Big 10 we will be ADDING sports.

Be smarter with coaching hires? Wow, why did nobody think of this before? And it's so easy to do. Yeah, just "be smarter". Works every time.

Raise money from the alums? Yeah, that one is bound to work. Again, I wish we would have thought of this about 100 years ago when UM was founded. "Raise money from the alums". Yep. Hey, when Miami is working to fill in a "$20M shortfall" (or, more accurately, $25M and growing), what is your suggestion for posters who think that our alums should ALSO be spending $25M per year on NIL?

And sell more tickets? What? THAT is how we raise more money? Selling more tickets? It's so elementary. So which is your preferred suggestion, should we sell more tickets in Hard Rock which reduced capacity, or the on-campus arena for which Coral Gables has never approved our additional seating capacity, or Mark Light which has infinite space to build more bleachers? Or should we raise ticket prices? I'm eager to hear all of your ideas now that Beta Blake isn't around to say no (because he was the ticket-selling king).

"Lower the delta!" "Push inequal distributions!" "It's doable!" You should make up some t-shirts and sell them on CIS or DymeLyfe. "LOWER THE DELTA!" What a great slogan for doing a fat lot of NOTHING! You are so amazing, you should have gone into marketing.

And your cherry on top is to compare college sports entire-program budgets to professional sports payroll budgets.

Chef's kiss!

Yeah, Stanford for me IIRC which would be why I asked if they hired her. I don’t even remember the broader conversation beyond Cal and ND being mentioned. I don’t have a dog in the fight beyond saying Rice shouldn’t be underestimated and we don’t know if she holds any cards or not but she’s a highly capable person.

I agree with you on all of those things. She's very talented. I just told Genetics that I wasn't betting on her in this one situation.

I will say that it's pretty funny that...

A Pac 12 professor convinced people that they could get $50M per school....and $30M per school from ESPN was not enough...and $20M per school from Apple caused most of the conference to join the Big 10 on half-shares or the Big 12 on "we're #4" shares...and now the "smartest" of the Pac 12 schools might be settling for less than $20M per year...

All that, while Cal has a payday-loan-like financing arrangement for its stadium...

I smell a California legislature bailout of UC-Berkeley...

Advertisement
Back