MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

It's clear as day that one of the biggest things impacting our recruiting is the uncertainty surrounding our future place in the Big 2, if it's going to happen and how soon. Coupled with 5-7, it's being used as a dirty recruiting tactic that is almost insurmountable to overcome because...well there's no concrete proof we can refute either of those points as of this moment.

I personally hope the school goes on the offensive publicly and announces something...I'm not saying ***** and moan like FSU, but something that instills some confidence and can generate momentum...anywhere. All this uncertainty without addressing it just fuels the doubt and the rumors.
i've said it before, but that's why I figured the school needs to make a statement before the 15th... just to stop the bleeding..

it is 100% being used against us by the SEC and B1G...

Advertisement
It's clear as day that one of the biggest things impacting our recruiting is the uncertainty surrounding our future place in the Big 2, if it's going to happen and how soon. Coupled with 5-7, it's being used as a dirty recruiting tactic that is almost insurmountable to overcome because...well there's no concrete proof we can refute either of those points as of this moment.

I personally hope the school goes on the offensive publicly and announces something...I'm not saying ***** and moan like FSU, but something that instills some confidence and can generate momentum...anywhere. All this uncertainty without addressing it just fuels the doubt and the rumors.

Absolute truth.

I have no problems "moving in silence" when the movement happens quickly. I have a much bigger problem "moving in silence" for 2 or 3 years.

And keep in mind, we've already been moving in silence for a year.

this is one thing that gives me pause about our security in the B1G...

you know Mario wants every recruiting advantage he can get.. and right now he's at a very big disadvantage with Miami's lack of public clarity for it's future in the B2.. he would insist the University make a public statement as soon as possible so he can disarm our opponents who try to use it against us.

the fact they haven't made one means that there may be some concern/lack of clarity on our future in the P2... even if it's not an official announcement like "we're leaving the ACC" but something along the lines of "we know we cannot compete at an elite level with the widening financial gap etc etc.. we will pursue every opportunity to close that gap, even if it means leaving the ACC eventually..."

Longshot/Hail Mary scenario - ND saves ACC by joining along with Stan-Berkeley?
( I don’t get the SMU thing)

Also, sandwiches don’t kill people
Agreed that is the Hail Mary scenario. Maybe ND offered to join eventually (2030ish?) and 11 ACC presidents fell for it. That's the only reason I could think 11 presidents were supposedly in favor of adding Cal & Stanford. Thankfully 4 told them to pound sand. Sign on the bottom line now or GTFO.

Advertisement
You're talking like we're gonna be stuck in the ACC for a while

frown GIF
I just want the Canes to be wherever they are able to compete for NCs. If it's the Big 10, SEC, ACC, or going back to the Big East. lol

It feels like we have a “non-commitable” offer from the Big 10 while they wait to see where certain other schools decide to go. Lol

Agreed that is the Hail Mary scenario. Maybe ND offered to join eventually (2030ish?) and 11 ACC presidents fell for it. That's the only reason I could think 11 presidents were supposedly in favor of adding Cal & Stanford. Thankfully 4 told them to pound sand. Sign on the bottom line now or GTFO.

According the guy from Arizona's 247 site who was all over the Pac-12's implosion (but then again he's out West and this is the ACC), the straw poll "no's" were UVA, UNC, NC State, Clemson and free shoes

fwiw

Advertisement
Why are we low-keying it?

Is that on directions from the B1G?
Pretty sure it's because there still isn't a full "cost of exit" figure even known that can be evaluated / dealt with. A couple of Nole fans that have some connections have stated that IT IS THEIR UNDERSTANDING that FSU has a gentleman's agreement / offer from the B10 BUT it is conditioned on being able to move without the B10 getting involved in any litigation and with media rights. The whole "media rights" issue is one that to some degree can be negotiated with ESPN / ACC ... swaps, net payments, etc. But that has to be done first. If we already HAVE a formula / negotiation / agreement worked out ... no reason to make noise ... just announce and take the appropriate action. Otherwise it is "announce" and then negotiate over the course of the next 12 months and hope the B10 keeps the slot open.

Advertisement
Ability to MOVE TO another conference might very well be tied to actually having our media rights moving with us.

Yea I believe the B1G has stated numerous times they DO NOT want to get tied up in any litigation according to reports so I Don’t think anyone is moving anywhere until someone figures out how they can move out of the ACC without lawsuits being involved ….

I’m guessing a team moving from the ACC to the SEC would happen first cause ESPN can still retain the rights of that team albeit in a different league and some kind of deal would be easier to get done

Advertisement
According the guy from Arizona's 247 site who was all over the Pac-12's implosion (but then again he's out West and this is the ACC), the straw poll "no's" were UVA, UNC, NC State, Clemson and free shoes

fwiw

I'm not knocking you at all.

But that "report" from the Arizona guy is hilarious on multiple levels. Granted, he may be repeating stuff that was reported elsewhere (the media "Human Centipede" effect), but I'm quite certain that he has no knowledge of the individual identities of voters in a Presidents-only straw poll in a completely different conference from the one he covers.

And possibly some "abstain" comments.

It's like people have never watched Survivor.

You can split the vote, particularly on a straw vote. Let the strongest "nos" express their opposition, and then lie in wait to see how the pro-expansion side handles it.

I still come around to simple logic. If there really were ONLY 4 "no" votes, and everything else was an enthusiastic "yes", then it would only be a matter of time until the 11 other schools found a way to break off one of the "nos".

But, that's not what is happening.

The number of schools TRULY in favor of expansion is a lot less than 11.

It would be ridiculously stupid if the ACC added Cal and Stanford just to appease Notre Lame as a way to eventually lure them into the conference as a football member.

When Notre Lame finally decides to join a conference for football they are going to the Big 10.

Their previous concerns about the Big 10 only being a Midwest conference (which is why they originally joined the ACC as a non-football member) is now gone with the additions of USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington to the Big 10.

Advertisement
Back