MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

If you take a "take territory" view...SMU makes good sense with potential for future payoff.

Stanford and Cal? Not so much.

I mean...you're not wrong there...

Pretty accurate assessment, no matter what SMU has been "recently". They got oil, and they got cash...

1691765677812.png

1691765686835.png

Advertisement
You're correct DG, but ...

That Top 10 money has SMU seven games under. 500 in a G5 conference with no Top 25 finishes in the last 10 years.

Their meager local fan base makes UM looks like the Green Bay Packers.

It's not like they gonna start out-recruiting UT, A&M, OU, LSU, Ark, TCU, Baylor and so on for the top kids in DFW.

Other schools got deep pockets, too
You put them into a power conference and they'll start winning some recruiting battles one at a time. Only reason B12 hasn't taken them yet is because they're already saturated in Texas.

Many said the same thing about UCF in a state with Miami, FSU, and UF.

Yet they've had better seasons than all of us in the last 6 years and are now in a power conference and have won several recruiting battles over the Big 3.

It'll take time but SMU has the resources and desire to be a big time program and they've been there before as well.

You're correct DG, but ...

That Top 10 money has SMU seven games under. 500 in a G5 conference with no Top 25 finishes in the last 10 years.

Their meager local fan base makes UM looks like the Green Bay Packers.

It's not like they gonna start out-recruiting UT, A&M, OU, LSU, Ark, TCU, Baylor and so on for the top kids in DFW.

Other schools got deep pockets, too
It's playing the long game, not the short game. Where is SMU 5 or 10 years from now if they are in a conference with a higher profile than the AAC?

And besides, frankly, who cares how well they recruit against UT, A&M, Baylor, etc.? It's more about making it easier for Miami to recruit in Texas. Getting to play games in Texas every other year will help get more players out of Texas down in Coral Gables.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's playing the long game, not the short game. Where is SMU 5 or 10 years from now if they are in a conference with a higher profile than the AAC?

And besides, frankly, who cares how well they recruit against UT, A&M, Baylor, etc.? It's more about making it easier for Miami to recruit in Texas. Getting to play games games in Texas every other year will help get more players out of Texas down in Coral Gables.

Miami and SMU to the B1G it is!!! Everyone wins!!

You put them into a power conference and they'll start winning some recruiting battles one at a time. Only reason B12 hasn't taken them yet is because they're already saturated in Texas.

Many said the same thing about UCF in a state with Miami, FSU, and UF.

Yet they've had better seasons than all of us in the last 6 years and are now in a power conference and have won several recruiting battles over the Big 3.

It'll take time but SMU has the resources and desire to be a big time program and they've been there before as well.

Why aren't they doing **** in the American?

UCF to its credit was able to get on a roll while the Big 3 have been standing around with our thumbs up our asses.

Knights did well, caught people's attention, made a little noise fighting at welterweight. Let's see how they do moving up to light heavyweight.

Just to be clear, I agree with you and Derrick Griffin — SMU could make a jump due to the deep pockets and prime recruiting location. Y'all spot on.

Just look at nearby TCU coming out of nowhere last year.

But it's a very narrow, tenuous path to success — and if SMU nails a coaching hire, a school like UT or A&M will eventually make an offer that can't and won't be turned down.

Last edited:

And besides, frankly, who cares how well they recruit against UT, A&M, Baylor, etc.? It's more about making it easier for Miami to recruit in Texas. Getting to play games games in Texas every other year will help get more players out of Texas down in Coral Gables.

You're talking like we're gonna be stuck in the ACC for a while

frown GIF

Advertisement
You don't think Baylor or TCU would be better options?

I didn't say anything about "better". But Baylor/TCU are in the Big 12 currently and may prefer to stay, whereas SMU clearly wants to improve its conference situation. Neither Baylor nor TCU is in the AAU, so there is no academic basis for saying they are "better options" for the Big 10. And Baylor is in Waco.

I do not discount the football success of Baylor/TCU, but on just about every other level, they do not seem to constitute "better options" than SMU, at least in the eyes of the Big 10.

Advertisement
I didn't say anything about "better". But Baylor/TCU are in the Big 12 currently and may prefer to stay, whereas SMU clearly wants to improve its conference situation. Neither Baylor nor TCU is in the AAU, so there is no academic basis for saying they are "better options" for the Big 10. And Baylor is in Waco.

I do not discount the football success of Baylor/TCU, but on just about every other level, they do not seem to constitute "better options" than SMU, at least in the eyes of the Big 10.
I'm curious the academic comparison between the three. Throw in Liberty for ***** and giggles.

Miami and SMU to the B1G it is!!! Everyone wins!!
WELL ... we might be able to negotiate THIS EXIT:

-SMU pays for Miami's exit penalty from the ACC ($120M) and whatever it takes us to get our Media Rights back.
Say it is $300M .... they do that and they get our spot in the ACC with whatever ACC annual revenue is.

Done.

I'm curious the academic comparison between the three.

Agreed. I don't profess to know with certainty. I used to work with someone at NASCAR who went to TCU (and was married to a former F$U starting QB), but I don't know much about Baylor. SMU seems to be trying to reach AAU status, not sure whether they will succeed, but they have a med school, which seems to help.

Advertisement
Why aren't they doing **** in the American?

UCF to its credit was able to get on a roll while the Big 3 have been standing around with our thumbs up our asses.

Knights did well, caught people's attention, made a little noise fighting at welterweight. Let's see how they do moving up to light heavyweight.

Just to be clear, I agree with you and Derrick Griffin — SMU could make a jump due to the deep pockets and prime recruiting location. Y'all spot on.

Just look at nearby TCU coming out of nowhere last year.

But it's a very narrow, tenuous path to success — and if SMU nails a coaching hire, a school like UT or A&M will eventually make an offer that can't and won't be turned down.
if Baylor and TCU can be relevant in Texas, then so can SMU... SMU actually has a greater claim to football royalty than A&M does..

It's clear as day that one of the biggest things impacting our recruiting is the uncertainty surrounding our future place in the Big 2, if it's going to happen and how soon. Coupled with 5-7, it's being used as a dirty recruiting tactic that is almost insurmountable to overcome because...well there's no concrete proof we can refute either of those points as of this moment.

I personally hope the school goes on the offensive publicly and announces something...I'm not saying ***** and moan like FSU, but something that instills some confidence and can generate momentum...anywhere. All this uncertainty without addressing it just fuels the doubt and the rumors.

Advertisement
Back