MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

What about Chip Kelly’s idea? Why do we even need conferences for football? Notre Dame is independent in football only. Why not everyone else go independent in football and remain in their conference in other sports? Do we really want to see the ACC go away in basketball like the Big East went away only to return?

Advertisement
There were a couple of posters LAST SPRING who indicated we would go to the SEC. I don't want to call anybody out by name but definitely some that would know.

If course things could always change over that kind of time period but there were definitely a few that implied SEC was basically a done deal.

Edited to clarify: "would go" and "done deal" may have been too strong of words.. But there was definitely optimism from several significant posters about getting to the SEC. Basically the hope of getting to the SEC didn't just come out of nowhere.

Last edited:
There were a couple of posters LAST SPRING who indicated we would go to the SEC. I don't want to call anybody out by name but definitely some that would know.

If course things could always change over that kind of time period but there were definitely a few that implied SEC was basically a done deal.

Can we end this nonsense once and for all.

There was ABSOLUTELY hope that Miami could go to the SEC. But that is different from the certainty of actually getting an invitation.

Given the way that "Longhorn-hating" aTm was unable or unwilling to block Texas from getting an SEC invitation, there was some hope that enough of the formerly-****-blocking SEC teams would come around to Miami's charms.

But it never happened.

People need to stop conflating Miami's interest in the SEC, and our belief that we could make a strong presentation and an even stronger partner, with...you know...an actual prediction of what 14 schools would do when called to vote.

Nobody ever said the SEC would absolutely invite Miami...but we thought we had a fair shot.

That is all.

Same kind of post-mortem bull**** being spread by the "but but but, I was told that Miami and Clemson were joined at the hip" crowd.

Bunch of ******* slapdicks trying to pull receipts on "Miami to the SEC" or "Miami-Clemson to the same conference".

Advertisement

There was ABSOLUTELY hope that Miami could go to the SEC. But that is different from the certainty of actually getting an invitation.

Given the way that "Longhorn-hating" aTm was unable or unwilling to block Texas from getting an SEC invitation, there was some hope that enough of the formerly-****-blocking SEC teams would come around to Miami's charms.

But it never happened.

People need to stop conflating Miami's interest in the SEC, and our belief that we could make a strong presentation and an even stronger partner, with...you know...an actual prediction of what 14 schools would do when called to vote.

Nobody ever said the SEC would absolutely invite Miami...but we thought we had a fair shot.

That is all.

Same kind of post-mortem bull**** being spread by the "but but but, I was told that Miami and Clemson were joined at the hip" crowd.

Bunch of ******* slapdicks trying to pull receipts on "Miami to the SEC" or "Miami-Clemson to the same conference".
Still feeling strong about a BIG move in the coming days, weeks or years?

But it never happened.

That is all.

Ok. Maybe "done deal" and "would go" are too strong of words. I retract them.

But there was definitely hope and indication of it being likely. Enough to believe the SEC was a real possibility.

Advertisement
Anyone that thought fsu Clemson Miami and at least one or two others will ever vote for their own suicide by expansion is nuts
I actually thought it'd be a good sign if they expanded because it would've meant those schools that want to leave got some kind of favorable concessions from the conference. I'd assume those concessions would help expedite our exit from the ACC.

I actually thought it'd be a good sign if they expanded because it would've meant those schools that want to leave got some kind of favorable concessions from the conference. I'd assume those concessions would help expedite our exit from the ACC.
I see you went to the dispensary today if you think that the guys at ESPN are going to give a concession to the ACC that the ACC can even pass forward. The minute you took those schools out or reduce the rates ESPN would want to reduce the contract. These things are not moving separately. The only thing that can move indirectly is if ESPN were to work with say FSU to move them to the SEC but then he SPN would likely still get sued by the ACC for violating a contract on the other end.

And as for Notre Dame influence:

NOTRE DAME: “ let’s discuss bringing our friend Stanford in”

Miami, Florida State, Clemson: “🖕 you don’t even go here”
Mean Girls GIF by filmeditor

Advertisement
Nah, why would they want to give concessions to help expedite Miami, FSU, and Clemson out of the ACC? To get Stanford, Cal, and SMU in return?

My guess is it was the hail mary offer to get ND to join full time. ND is pushing for it because then Stanford would be a game they could put on as one of their required "ACC games" and give them one more slot opened up for another opponent. But willing to actually JOIN the ACC full time? No.

Edited to clarify: "would go" and "done deal" may have been too strong of words.. But there was definitely optimism from several significant posters about getting to the SEC. Basically the hope of getting to the SEC didn't just come out of nowhere.
Eh When @Hurracanes said that he was basically the first one to bring the info that we were actively attempting to get out of the ACC. He and a few others did say SEC as the target - but definitely nowhere close to a lock. I imagine at the time that was the logical goal especially since he and others knew FSU and Clemson were aligned in this goal. Plus with us being ESPN currently, it's possibly the "cleanest" out in a way.
Plus a whole **** of a lot has changed since then obviously. For instance, I think when we got AAU membership with Notre Dame, that really seemed like some **** was going down behind the scenes to get us in the Big10....

The SEC really can change all our predictions quick as ****. Like if the SEC gets FSU or Clemson, it's basically a foregone conclusion we will be invited to one of the P2 as well.

Advertisement
Still feeling strong about a BIG move in the coming days, weeks or years?

Yes.

Timing uncertain.

But a move, yes. I am still of the belief that for MANY reasons, the Big 10 wants to be the choice of discriminating gourmets who live south of I-4.

Convincing Fox on how to fund this sudden splurge of available teams? That part is a bit sketchier.

As I've told a number of people on DMs, outside of the SWC-Big 8 merger, there's never been THIS MANY teams joining an expanded conference at one time. Four that we KNOW are joining in 2024. And 2-4 more are possible.

It's a lot for anyone to digest in normal circumstances. But end-times like these might call for a bigger, bolder game-changing move by the Big 10.

A lot of people need to go to church. And light votive candles. And figure out how to make your knees work properly.

ESPN offered an immaterial increase in tv money with no other meaningful concessions
by increase do you mean they would have given Stanford and Cal full shares, and it would have immaterially increased the current avg payout, or that the total amount they pay the ACC would have immaterially increased (basically being unwilling to pay for Stanford and Cal at all)?

ngl I'd actually be surprised if they legit offered to match full ACC pay for both them given how little alternatives they have...

Ok. Maybe "done deal" and "would go" are too strong of words. I retract them.

But there was definitely hope and indication of it being likely. Enough to believe the SEC was a real possibility.

It's all good, friend, you know what I just told you on the DMs. I, too, was hopeful for the SEC. But I never predicted that it would happen with great certainty. There are "certain" SEC schools with admins who are snakes.

1691638236802.png

I see you went to the dispensary today if you think that the guys at ESPN are going to give a concession to the ACC that the ACC can even pass forward. The minute you took those schools out or reduce the rates ESPN would want to reduce the contract. These things are not moving separately. The only thing that can move indirectly is if ESPN were to work with say FSU to move them to the SEC but then he SPN would likely still get sued by the ACC for violating a contract on the other end.

And as for Notre Dame influence:

NOTRE DAME: “ let’s discuss bringing our friend Stanford in”

Miami, Florida State, Clemson: “🖕 you don’t even go here”
Mean Girls GIF by filmeditor

the rumours spilling out now don't have miami as part of the voting block against. Allegedly it was FSU, Clemson, UNC and NCST

Advertisement
Back